Home

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Dak Drexl

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Gotta start posting on my own thread again!

For those that don't know, they are including things from the appendices from the Return of the King in the movies, which will be what primarily fills the new space opened up since deciding to to three movies.

That means we get to see Gandalf's unknown adventures unfold, which will be so awesome. Gandalf the Grey was always my favorite Hobbit/LotR character, so more screen time for Sir Ian sounds good to me.

It comes out this december, right?

Yup, the 14th in the US.

Yeah I'm totally psyched for this.

But I loves me all things LotR.

Me too, but I did always like The Hobbit better than the LotR books. That's not to say I don't love them, just not as much as The Hobbit...

But the movie trilogy is easily at the top of my favorites, so I'm literally too excited for this one.

• 1 month later...

Yup, went on friday. Hadn't read the book as opposed to LotR, which I had read before watching the movies, so wasn't really sure what to expect. I'd read not to expect an adventure on the epic scale of LotR, so I didn't. Still, I was a bit underwhelmed by it all. There's a very long intro that is, in my opinion, unnecessary and you do feel as if the story's a bit stretched at times (probably because the story got split in three movies?). But it's an enjoyable movie nonetheless and getting back to Middle-Earth is joyous. Loved Freeman's performance and the dwarves were fun.

Saw it in 3d. Pretty great, imo. I haven't read any of the books, so i can't comment on that front, but in terms of cinema, it's feels just like LotR.

IMO one of the best things about the movie is the amazing scenery and landscape. Makes me think I should get out more, as all this is right at my doorstep.

Loved the music, as is to be expected. The score was written by Howard Shore and performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, both of whom did the music for the original trilogy.

I can't wait for the next parts to the series. Thankfully, it looks like it'll only be a year between them.

Archived