Home

Gamers: What games do you replay the most?

Blix

LOL @ the TSL apologists

Replayablility? Please. Why would I replay a game that I don't like? :raise:

Incomplete story with few likable characters, it's mediocrity at it's best.

But what do I know.. I'm just a "hater" :xp:

Quite so. I've probably replayed KotOR over a dozen times already whle I've played TSL half this amount. I just feel I've had a more complete experience with the former.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually play a game to death when I get it, so by the time I’m done I never want to see that game again. However these are the ones I do go back to from time to time. While Jade Empire suffers with the same problem I have with KOTOR (the twist hurts replay-ability) I still have to play it at least once a year).

Jade Empire

KOTOR

TSL

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

Oblivion

Morrowind

Fallout: New Vegas

Replayablility? Please. Why would I replay a game that I don't like?
I see no reason to replay something you dislike.

I'm am just the opposite on this, I find TSL's characters to be way more likeable than KotOR's characters.

While I loved the big surprise in kotor, that revelation does shoehorn your PC into an absolute history, making what you believe your characters motivations to be moot. Much of the rest of the kotor cast is casted into the typical Star Wars stereotypes (loveable little droid, Scoundrel complete with Wookiee sidekick, Republic Soldier, Mercenary). Sure there were some acceptations, namely Jolee overall the characters in KOTOR, while completely likeable run stale after a few playthroughs. Their motivations are clear, there is nothing to learn.

In TSL, you don’t know the characters motivations. Is Mira just after the bounty or is she really searching to put her past behind her? Is the Handmaiden really just spying for Atris, does she have feelings for the Exile or is she trying to deal with her father issues? T3, still seems like the loyal little droid on the surface, but he is hiding a secret. Same can be said for all the “unlikeable” TSL companions. All in my opinion were far from the typical Star Wars stereotypes thus making them far from average to me. The biggest thing that makes TSL more replayable to me is my character’s motivations are not dictated to me. Unlike Revan, I get to decide what my Exile stands for.

Not an attack on KOTOR, love the game, but at least to me TSL is far more replayable.

I don't hate TSL, but I can see why people don't replay it as much. :p
QFT

FO:NV

The KotORs (though I found it impossible to play the first after playing the second).

GTA:SA and IV

NWN2/MotB

VtM:B (how am I the first one to mention this?!)

ME2 (similar to comment re: KotOR except that I decided that ME was not longer playable long before discovering 2)

Alpha Protocol

LOL @ the TSL apologists

Replayablility? Please. Why would I replay a game that I don't like? :raise:

But what do I know.. I'm just a "hater" :xp:

Mimartin said it best, but I can sum up my reasons in four words:

Male Revan is retarded. :p

VtM:B (how am I the first one to mention this?!)

I definitely should have, yes.

KotOR II: TSL (NOT KotOR I)

Erm... that's about it. I occasionally replay KotOR, Planescape: Torment, or try and get through NWN2. Sometimes I restart Children of the Nile with the hope of actually playing the thing right the way through, but this is, it must be said, a pretty distant hope. I also dip in and out of Starfleet Command 3 with some regularity, and keep playing Rome: Total War, although at the moment I'm trying to even vaguely succeed at the Barbarian Invasion expansion.

Whether it's K1 or K2, mods have made them all the more replayable. The vanilla versions of both games are pretty good, though I felt that TSL came up a little short for reasons already covered ad nauseam in other threads. That said, though, I think TSL was more textured in charachter development, while K1 had a more straightforward storyline (even with the "revelation"). For me, at least, neither really had an edge in terms of more likeable crewmates. Never really had a greater sense of "control" over defining Revan than Exile or vice-versa. You can go light or dark with either and their ends always seemed to be a bit predetermined. As Revan you either triumphed for the Jedi or became the new Sith leader. As Exile, you ultimately either went on to look for Revan or didn't after confronting Kreia.

Never really had a greater sense of "control" over defining Revan than Exile or vice-versa. You can go light or dark with either and their ends always seemed to be a bit predetermined. As Revan you either triumphed for the Jedi or became the new Sith leader. As Exile, you ultimately either went on to look for Revan or didn't after confronting Kreia.

Agree with you there, but I was writing more to defining Revan or the Exile's pasts. Revan you have zero control. You get the big plot twist and that is it.

At least with the Exile, you have the choices through in game conversations to define why your Exile went to war, what your Exile did after being banished by the Jedi. The simple ability to say I went to war to protect people or for power, while meaning little to nothing in game play, allows me to enjoy a role-playing game. I assume that is what playing a RPG is still all about. :)

Every six months or so I go back to Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds because a person who knows what they're doing can really make some sick custom scenarios for that game, and I've been working on and off on a few for some time now.

I also fancy TIE Fighter every year or so. And a Call of Duty game (primarily World at War cuz my PC can't handle Black Ops yet).

A year or two ago I would have listed the KotOR games, but I played them both so many times in the past that there's literally nothing new to see. I also used to play Jedi Academy multiplayer mods (Forcemod 3 and them Moviebattles II) religiously, but I pretty much swore that off, too.

Agree with you there, but I was writing more to defining Revan or the Exile's pasts. Revan you have zero control. You get the big plot twist and that is it.

At least with the Exile, you have the choices through in game conversations to define why your Exile went to war, what your Exile did after being banished by the Jedi. The simple ability to say I went to war to protect people or for power, while meaning little to nothing in game play, allows me to enjoy a role-playing game. I assume that is what playing a RPG is still all about. :)

Ok, convos w/Atris and Council. That's a fair point. Guess I generically sort of threw those in with the good/evil (light/dark, remorseful/hardass, etc..) concept. K1/K2 were really the first rpgs I've played.

KotOR was my first RPG and first BioWare game. TOR is my first MMO...Star Wars gets me to try new things.

Come to think of it without Star Wars, I never would have purchased the Xbox for KotOR. I never would have know about BioWare, which means I wouldn't have bought the 360 for Mass Effect. I also would have never found this website. Without Star Wars I would have all kinds of free time now. Darn you George Lucas and BioWare. Just figured out I have already spent 57 hours on TOR... :)

I tend to replay RPGs with a good amount of actually relevant C&C (not the much more common choices without meaningful consequences), and/or good plot/writing. Arcanum, Fallout 1+2, PS:T, VTM:B, etc.

With shooters and action games, I never replay the whole game, but sometimes jump into a level I enjoyed. Honestly, I rarely play shooters at all now. The exception is Deus Ex, which I don't categorize as an ordinary shooter anyway. I've replayed that game a number of times.

Then there are games I don't know if count as 'replaying'. For instance, while I've played every route of Ever17, I don't know whether that counts as replaying it 5 times (not counting 'Bad End' playthroughs), or just playing the full game once. Games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis present a similar problem, since you never really finish that sort of game, but I've unquestionably spent tons of time playing different nations in them.

Every six months or so I go back to Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds because a person who knows what they're doing can really make some sick custom scenarios for that game, and I've been working on and off on a few for some time now.

Heh I'm glad you mentioned Battlegrounds, that game used to be all kinds of fun. I'm probably gonna go look for it now :raise:

Played both KotOR's christ knows how many times, played both TFU games several times each, too...

Really speaking, i've played pretty much every game I own at least 2 or 3 times.

Edit:

Oh! The original 3 Spyro the Dragon games for the PlayStation. Yeah, they're dated and somewhat childish some might say, but I like 'em!

:D

• 2 weeks later...
After starting a new KOTOR game for the millionth time I realized that there were other games (like KOTOR) that I tend to replay over (and over, and over...) What are yours?

I find the lack of mention of Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines in this thread disturbing... :wonder:

Aside from that, Deus Ex, Master of Orion II, Morrowind, Escape Velocity:Nova, Jedi Academy and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri are probably the games I've mostly kept going back to months or years apart for another replay.

If counting games replayed several times in sequence then Baldurs Gate II, Ðragon Age:Origins, Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, Halo, Guild Wars and the Neverwinter Nights games also qualify. :)

If counting games played for the longest amount of time (in hours) then Baldurs Gate II, Diablo II and Guild Wars would be well ahead of the competition.

Just curious, but what systems are you playing these old PC games on these days? Are you keeping an old machine around or have you migrated to something newer?

Most of the old games seem to work fine on my current machine under Windows 7 64. Only ones of those I've tried so far that I experienced any real trouble with so far has been Master of Orion II which now requires Dosbox to run, and Ðragon Age II which refuses to install (gets stuck at the Online Authentication screen with some generic error message asking me to reinstall again).

Archived