Home

Which Graphics card should I get?

MajinMikeyX

Hey, it's me asking about computer specs again :) I haven't gotten TOR yet, but plan to after I get my setup straightened out. My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60 GHz

4GB RAM

Windows 7 32-bit

Integrated nVidia Graphics

250W psu

If you need more information on my computer, here's the complete description

I need something cheap, and 2 choices I've looked up are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-121-473&SortField=0&SummaryType=1&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&SelectedRating5=5&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+GeForce+210+1GB+DDR2+PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics+Card/9979447.p?id=1218205379527&skuId=9979447#tabbed-specifications

I chose the Newegg one for the rebate, and the Bestbuy one because I have a $50 gift card for them. I did research graphics cards so it wasn't just money that decided for me.

I'm pretty sure that these would play TOR with my current computer specs, but the big question that isn't really answered on their product descriptions is the power supply. Since both of them don't say, I assume it doesn't matter? That's where I need help. Please guide me as to which I should get, but remember, I only want to be able to play TOR smoothly, nothing else, I have a 360 for my other gaming needs.

This may help some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

I don't know a lot about what the numbers mean, but I don't think either one will run SWTOR very well. I could be wrong.

[edit]

also on the PNY it says:

Additional System Requirements

DVI-, HDMI- or VGA-compatible monitor; 300W or greater power supply

[/edit]

Yeah, I would definitely go for a PSU with at least 400-450W for decent graphics cards. About these specific cards: in theory, they are above the system requirements for TOR and they'll probably run the game. But I'm not sure they'll be able to run the game on high settings.

I'm pretty sure that these would play TOR with my current computer specs, but the big question that isn't really answered on their product descriptions is the power supply. Since both of them don't say, I assume it doesn't matter? That's where I need help. Please guide me as to which I should get, but remember, I only want to be able to play TOR smoothly, nothing else, I have a 360 for my other gaming needs.

Their origin website SWTOR.com has an entire well researched and organized thread in their own forum dedicated to parts and specs as well as recommendations for what works best. Have you tried looking there yet? ;)

BTW if I were you I'd get a 550-650W power supply. You can probably get it at best buy.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to double post but I have finally prioritized my machine's features.

First to answer about graphics cards, @OP: You should really try to get a flagship graphics card. I know it's expensive as hell but it saves money in the long run cuz you don't have to upgrade and spend another chunk of money every year or so until your machine's abilities are maxed out.

Right now any of the nvidia 560 line are a great (probably best) deal for the money, or if you really want to be on the high end but still be on the margin of performance for your buck, go with an evega 580--just be prepared to receive sticker shock. Or you can go with the Radeon counterpart.

What's the difference?

The difference between Radeon and nVidia to my understanding is that while nVidia has a nice backwards compatibility with past games (a desirable trait as hassle with drivers can be a pain), Radeon is all about performing best for "games in the here and now". It's all a matter of preference of course. :D

So it matters what you'll be using it for.

There are some "better" ones than evega 580 but the $$$ paid for the performance gained IMO isn't worth it.

Far as my future machine: Performance/speed first and foremost. I doubt seriously I'll be overclocking because even with the best cooling it still reduces the life of your processor. Other than gaming, I might do some 3-d modeling and some hobby level microchip programming, some graphic art, picture editing. Probably music, movies and sound studio. So I may still need a core i7 if the other functions are to perform without slow down. We'll see.

What ELSE (besides gaming) are you going to be using your machine for, OP?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived