Home

Fanmade kotorIII idea

annihilator599

ok so i see alot of people saying that they are going to make a kotorIII mod, or a 2d kotor game or whatever, but i have an awsome idea i think. why not get a couple people together, get a free game engine such as unity3d, udk, and alot of other ones that i cannot name off of the top of my head, and make a game?

i would not intend on doing this, (well i might try but i doubt anything will happen since im not to good with programming) but all it would take is a couple dedicated people with a copy of blender, 3dsmax, or even sketchup pro lol and a knowledge of javascript, and they could easily make a kotorIII. What do you guys think?

if there is another threak about this, pls link me to it :)

• 2 months later...

To be honest, me and a few friends had a go at making a game based around kotor in unity a couple of years back, the project was eventually cancelled because of such a high workload. Still, it'd be interesting to have another go now, I know someone is playing around with the idea in UDK but I have no idea of any details.

While I'm one of the first guys to say 'KotOR III!!, yay!', it's a lot of hard work to do EVERYTHING by yourself or even a small team of modders.

Imagine: Development for KotOR I started 2000 with a trailer to present at E3 in 2001. So eventually it took them around 2.5 years to finish the project with a team of professional devs (release was delayed because of the desire to deliver top quality).

Now they already had the basic engine (Aurora Engine/Odyssey Engine, used in Neverwinter Nights) so they only needed to tweak the things they needed rather than to create a new engine (even though they rewrote the engine for KotOR, they got the basics to work with). So you'll have to add the amount of time for developing an engine.

My thoughts considering these things, are not very positive. In the end it'll take at least 2-3 years for a game development department like Bioware. Now imagine how long it'll take for several modders that develop mods for fun and joy. (Also considering most of them have a job or another occupation)

So in a nutshell: I don't think a project like that will last very long (like most of the TC Mods of KotOR that are planned) and if it will last, it'll be a very long time until you have a working game for the community to test.

(BTW: We already have some people working on a game like that (Link))

Fastmaniac

Archived