Home

XWA One Year Thread Part VII: Shadows of the Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nute, stop playing the victim and rise above it. I to was in a relationship that I thought was wonderful then crashed and burned horribly. took me a good 5 to 8 years before I even started thinking about dating again. But i did and I met a beautiful and wonderful woman.. she wasn't for me, but I figured if she could like me, I had the confidence to ask anyone

Next lady I met, I married.

The 4th was pretty good... though the best fireworks we watched (from my front porch...) was on the 3rd.

Took the day off. Sorting out a few things at my place while the GF and her kids go through their place preparing for a yard sale this weekend.

For the first time in about 10 years I had to work the 4th of july. Really sucked when while at work I could hear the fireworks going off. Boss let us leave early tho. SO i had to avoid gawkers watching the fireworks while i drove home.

We have our annual riverfest here, but it was too stinking hot to enjoy. Ended up playing a few games of Small World with my wife, her dad, and aunt.

Woke up this morning after having a bunch of erotic dreams and my wife asked me if i wanted pancakes. "No I want sex.. then pancakes". Got both and I made some bacon to. BEST MORNING EVER!

The meeting with my "new" sister went really well. I guess we're going to go into a portrait studio to create what my last family portrait would have looked like w/ my "new" sister in it. There will be other differences, of course...my brother won't have his "metal hair," and my favorite photo of my Mom will stand in for her, since she has passed away since the original portrait was done.

went out with my friends to a bar, and my ex-fiance/girlfriend texted me so i was telling her off then she came out to the bar i was at, which was fine until she started hitting on guys, i had to leave because it was getting me angry, and i really don't need aggravated assault (on the guys she was hitting on) on my record before i deploy to kuwait.

Rogue15, oh, looks like you need to have some kind of a "special luck" to find a such of girl. I can understand what did you feel there... especially when you are in army :(

Anyway, Sunday here was really horrible. It is almost +35C here and then... rain started! I was right in field, so the rain was like a hot shower, and i really don't know what happens to Siberia's climate. Moisture close to 100% here now and damn, damn hot! And no exit from this steam cooker.

i got a gym membership, something to kill time and stress after work since its open 24 hours and not many people are there after 9-10pm.

going on another ruck march up a mountain with my friend on friday, can't wait for that. probably be hungover too that day..and tired from lack of sleep...thirsty thursday is a killer lol.

@law snoll: yeah i thought she was the one, got engaged to her before going to OSUT (basic training and advanced individual training combined) she stayed with me the whole time through it, then i get back and 2 months later wants to break up. so i had to let her go. hoping to find another girl someday maybe one that's in the same unit as me or one that understands me better than she did. i was with her a year and a half, so i guess it's not that bad at least i didnt get married or have a kid with her. finding lots of ways to deal with the breakup depression i get every now and then, the best thing is for me to hang out with my old friends or the friend i made who is in my platoon.

what kind of vehicle do you roll around in? i think i remember you telling us before. we got bradleys and hmmvws i didnt get trained on them yet other than at osut, i like the bradley alot, easy as hell to drive but i hear that breaking track can be a killer.

Rogue15, oh, right, i can understand you very well because of i had some kind of same situation when served in my conscription army service. When i was in field training camp, where life and training was really hard, i received the letter from my girlfriend who wrote me she doesn't awaits me anymore because of she find another guy. After i read the letter i was on edge of suicide, and more, i hit my sergeant in those day and bleed his nose. Thanks God, sergeant just beat me back very badly and then pulled everything about the letter from me, deciding to don't punish me officially. He understood me, in fact saving my life, because of i could easily be jailed for attacking of higher ranked soldier and my commander. The most incredible was in the fact it was actually letter not from my girlfriend, i learned it later when find a way to call home. The letter was from her friend, another girl, who was very against me going out with my girlfriend.

And, what do you mean about vehicles? You mean army? If yes, then... well, it depends on unit and place where these unit being dislocated. Infantry and other light units mostly uses wheeled combat vehicles like BTR-70, BTR-80(A) and BTR-90 (first two were designed yet in the Soviet Union, but has very high modernization resource), combat vehicles of some kind of US LAV-25 or Stryker. Light units also has their own analogue of HMMVW, multipurpose light armored utility vehicle, called GAZ-2330 (in some aspects better and in some aspects worse than HMMVW). And other wheeled combat vehicles, and various trucks, of cause. But in Siberia and in the Far East of Russia (and also in heavy units), where wild terrain mostly doesn't lets us to use wheeled vehicles widely we mostly prefer to use tracked vehicles. Closest analogue of M2 Bradley is Russian line of BMPs APC. I don't know is it right analogue or not, because of with approximately same level of armor and class of weapon of BMP-2 and M2, BMPs of all series are all can swim, while M2 cannot. Army uses BMP-1 (very old tracked APC that now being used mostly in training units), BMP-2 of various modifications (the most widespread tracked APC in ground units) and newer BMP-3 of various modifications (expensive toy that filled with electronics, too much deadly weapon and various exotic devices, not very loved in troops). Airborne units uses their own special light tracked air transportable APC platforms named BMD series (BMD-1, BMD-2 BMD-3 and other vehicles on their tracked platform like BTRD for example).

And, yes, about MTLB, those tracked vehicle that i told here about.

Separately from BMP and BMD tracked APCs there is another armored tracked swimming vehicle: MTLB. Once designed as heavy artillery prime mover, these vehicle soon become extremely popular in Russia not only in army.

d5596d0faaf0.jpg

Civilian modifications were released for use in swampy and other "anti-tank" terrain, like Taiga, arctic, ect. In Russia here civilian variant is being used by geologists, archeologists, mining services and many others. In my job at this spring i used this civilian modification (MTLB "Swamp Home" - my was white-yellow to better see from air, lol)

a2c2d3dc89c4.jpg

MTLB become tracked base for very large number of specific military and civilian special vehicles. Almost any complex of equipment can be established on it, from simple APC cannon tower (Arctic units prefer exactly MTLB-based APCs insterad of BMP), to very specific equipment like various radar and controls systems and SA complexes like this and this (perspective), MTLB can be platform for launching and operating of UAVs, engineering vehicle, medevac vehicle, howitzer, MLRS, minefield establishing platform and many others. Often MTLBs can be easily modified right in closest car service station due to module structure. In the Soviet Era hundreds of thousands of MTLBs were built (it's is still being manufactured and Russian army doesn't planning to retire it) and stored in army depots, so now we can buy it at cost of almost scrap metal, instead of it's enough just to maintain and refuel it, and then you can drive. You can leave these vehicle under open sky for decade, and nothing will happen to it: just refuel it, and go.

I think it would be truth if i would say MTLB is the best in the World multipurpose armored tracked chassis that was ever designed. Let's remember about US Marine corps that scavenged MTLBs that they could find for own use. Industry of the United States created nothing even close to it because of objective reason, so US army prefer to use exactly MTLBs, although questions of prestige doesn't lets the USA just to buy it for own army in Russia.

Cmdr. Cracken, yeah, i was amazed too. Never see such of combination of hot and rain here before. But, anyway, you know, as i said before Siberia is very large and in various parts of it here's climate is very different. While most of people outside of Siberia thinks we have here winter all year round, it's not like that. Harsh aspect of climate at part of Siberia where i use to live is in that we have very cold winter and very hot summer. As i said before, year amplitude of temperature can reach even 90C. Especially we have a lot of fun at spring when in April we can easily have +15C at day and then -15C at night... with rain and then snow. Just try to imagine what such of weather can do to concrete buildings and asphalt roads. Weather turns it into dust just in 2-3 years... and very aggressive flora, that hurry to live, there helps. But... that's the problem. People from another regions of the World often can't stay here to live, they always catch specific Siberian deceases that locals are evolutionarily completely or partially immune (like hard forms of pneumonia, encephalitis, siberian anthrax and other) and being demanded to leave the Siberia. So we here live like in some kind of "closed world", another dimension, surrounded by legends and rumors... that is often very useful, you know. One of the most famous examples was in end of 1941. Poor Hitler couldn't even imagine the Soviet Union has 30 million men army that can provide front-scaled operations at night, in -30C weather, with 1.5 meters of snow cover, cross swamps... on thousands of tanks. We have even some kind of joke here: "Siberia is the swamp. If you want to enter, then you have to pay ruble. If you want to exit, then pay thousand.".

Trust me, I'm a doctor. Plus we have a hygiene program with 40+ (mostly) young females per year and I know a bunch of them. They are just being friendly. Besides, it is probably unethical to date a patient. I know it is for dentists, but it is probably the same for hygienists.

For your sake I hope I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I used to have a flirty hygienist, too. I never read much if anything into it though... because it seemed like she was just one of those women who was just naturally a little flirty in her interactions with men. I saw her act that way with the male doctors there and with other patients.

I've known a couple of girls like that... It's more or less just an insecurity thing that they do unconsciously to get favorable reactions from the males around them.

She was pretty cute though... And I'm also pretty sure I mentioned her one in one of these thread... many moons ago...

EDIT: Here...

My current hygienist isn't flirty... but she can be a bit carelessly physical when she's working intensely. More than once I have realized that her breasts were pretty much resting against my head as she was leaning over... or her inner thigh was pressing against my shoulder while I'm laying back in the chair.

Again... I read nothing into it... I'm pretty sure she just really concentrates on her work, and just doesn't realize which parts of her might be rubbing up against me.

Trust me, I'm a doctor. Plus we have a hygiene program with 40+ (mostly) young females per year and I know a bunch of them. They are just being friendly. Besides, it is probably unethical to date a patient. I know it is for dentists, but it is probably the same for hygienists.

For your sake I hope I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I didn't say she wanted to date me. And I certainly would not want to date her.

But very well. I will go back to living in a world where no woman has been attracted to me, ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived