Home

XWA One Year Thread Part VII: Shadows of the Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cover/belt clip I ordered for my smartphone arrived in the mail today, so I was able to take the phone out in public for the first time. It was a good thing I did, too, as the battery died on my Dad's cellphone, so I had to call my brother at his work when I got to my Dad's house (I generally meet my Dad at the senior center, where he plays cards, on Mondays and go to his house with him on the local paratransit bus.).

I got a message from my ex today... the first once since she broke up with me. I haven't been angry with her about all this until now.

She was upset with me that people were messaging her asking what was going on and what she is doing. She blamed me more or less.

Well... sorry, but I don't know how I'm supposed to answer people when they ask me about her and what's going on with us without telling the truth about the situation. How do you gently tell people that she has left me and taken the kids and moved to another country, or phrase it vaguely enough that they won't ask follow up questions? "She's fine!" isn't exactly accurate... and it sure as hell doesn't explain where she is or why nobody's seen her or the kids or heard from any of them lately.

Sorry... but I'm the one left behind, holding the (very big) bag, having to deal with all the aftermath with all her family and friends. If she wanted to control the public relations of the situation, she really should have done that before she left.

Sigh...

In other news... happier news (I guess)...

I'm using my now copious free personal time, when not working, to catch up on episodes and the movies of Futurama.

Genius.

After this weekends bonspiel (curling tournement) that I am going to. Aw... it isn't a tournament. it is a 3 day Halloween party where I get to drink, eat, curl, and reconnect with my friends at the Madison Curling club. Saturday night is going to have the Gomers performing. Basically it is Karaoke with a live band.

But afterwards, as soon as i get the leaves raked in the lawn, plastic up on the windows for winter, gutters cleaned, I am going to hibernate a little bit and paint up my Talisman miniatures so i got some nice figures for my upcoming birthday party

I got a message from my ex today... the first once since she broke up with me. I haven't been angry with her about all this until now.

She was upset with me that people were messaging her asking what was going on and what she is doing. She blamed me more or less.

Hm. Did you respond?

In other news... happier news (I guess)...

I'm using my now copious free personal time, when not working, to catch up on episodes and the movies of Futurama.

Genius.

That's pretty much my favorite show ever, but I feel like it wasn't that good after it came back. I thought the movies were pretty meh, and the new episodes haven't really done much for me, although to be fair I haven't seen most of them. Those first four seasons are just brilliant, though.

We should play some games. Serious Sam 3 just came out on the XBLA...

Hm. Did you respond?
Briefly. I didn't really want to reply in too much detail, or in anger. She seemed to be in a bad mood, and I didn't want to escalate. Basically, I just reiterated that I have zero control over what other people do or think.

I spoke with both her parents about it last night, however, and they were both on my side. They felt I really did nothing wrong, and I was handling the situation correctly and really as best I could under the circumstances.

That's pretty much my favorite show ever, but I feel like it wasn't that good after it came back. I thought the movies were pretty meh, and the new episodes haven't really done much for me, although to be fair I haven't seen most of them. Those first four seasons are just brilliant, though.

We should play some games. Serious Sam 3 just came out on the XBLA...

Yeah... they weren't quite as good, though certain moments in each were fabulous... But still better than most things on TV... And with the added benefit of me never having seen them, so it was like seeing a new show.

I'm pretty much on the night shift at work now, and most of my weekends are filled... but I'll try to work in some vid-gaming time into the schedule, and let you know what evenings I should be free.

I've also decided that even though the kids are gone, I'm going to continue on with my personal paper-and-pencil table-top RPG revival and miniature painting plan.

I guess my next step is to find a game group to join... or put something together...

Thought for the day:

If this East Coast super-mega-ultra-storm lives up to the half the hype that the local meteorologists and weather-people and ladling on to it... everybody east of the great lakes is doomed! DOOOOOMED!!!!!

Seriously though... I hope it's a dud. My place could get massively F'ed in a direct hit at high tide during a full moon.

Yeah... my favorite part of these types of events is the rapid scale back from all the hype.

No doubt it will be impressive... but I was hearing "Storm Of The Century!!! $10 Billion Damage!!! OMG!!!1111One" talk just a day ago... and now... it looks like a serious, but survivable storm.

The storm is not so bad for me so far.

Lost power most of the afternoon... but it's back now. (For the time being, anyways...)

The water across the street got alarmingly high at high tide... but didn't breech the banks.

Other than a hot of howling wind, it's been pretty undramatic for me... so far...

I hope everyone else is riding it out safe and sound!

Sandy hasn't been too bad here in Brockton...there were a couple of times that my power sagged this afternoon, but I haven't lost it completely, and felt confident enough that my power would stay on to get online and at least get my virtual league results posted.

Ed reported to me that he lost power briefly, but he's back up, too.

Never lost power again.

The college is open today, though not much else is in Boston. I have to find out if public transportation is up and running.

We are supposed to have a Henry Rollins spoken-word show tonight... but I've no idea if he made it to town before all air travel on the East Coast was shut down.

I'll probably head into work in a bit to see what's going on either way.

Archived