Home

XWA One Year Thread Part VII: Shadows of the Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a couple of the Pathfinder RPG (essentially, D&D 3.75...) books the other day.

Very nice! A lot of rules to read and memorize, though. I think I'll keep the game I'm running, an OD&D (B/X, BECMI, and AD&D) hybrid game for the time being... until I can familiarize myself with the new rules.

I guess I'm a role-player again...

I have heard good things about pathfinder. never used it myself.

Last session our group went up against a bunch of iron golem like constructs... my cleric was practically useless, except as a support role for healing and breaking enchantment of a party member that got petrified

I have heard good things about pathfinder. never used it myself.
It's very high quality and super high production-value stuff.

Plus: you only need the one main rule book to play, and the one main book plus a monster manual if you DM.

I'll probably spring for a few of the other optional books at some point... or just get them as PDFs, which are much cheaper.

And ALL of the game rules are available to see online for free at any time.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

I think that's VERY cool!

It seemed like a far cheaper and easier way through the door than the various WoTC options I found... which involved at least 3 hardcovers (and more, if you go for all 3 available PHBs, DMGs, MMs...) an online subscription, or several "Essentials" box sets... AND an online subscription. For a game I hear I probably wouldn't recognize much from my days of tabletop gaming.

Play-wise, I understand that PFRPG is a tweaked version of the 3.5 ruleset... so if you weren't a fan of that, you may not like this. They have sorted many of the balancing issues, and beefed up the low-level character stats to give more of a fighting chance to beginners... but it's still something I'd recognize and be able to run a game without having to wrap my mind around all-new rules.

I'd still like to give 4e a try some time... but only if I can ever get it cheaper than investing several hundreds of dollars at once in hardcover books just to get started.

Maybe when 5e hits, I'll look into some of the 4e books on clearance.

4E is nothing more then getting WoW players interested in D&D. Every race, and class gets spell like powers they can use. Rather wait for what POS they come out when they do 5.0 which they have recently announced

:Pir2: well, if you look you can find all the 3.5 books online, and download them. :Pir1: It would be illegal to say where tho.

The online SRD and hypertext is quite awesome.

Tho i have to say Ptolus is incredible if you want to do a more urban campaign and want a lot of resources to use. I played a few sessions of it with my old gaming group and with that amount of resources at my disposal I was really tempted to run my own D&D games

having a mid term paper this week for college writing....stuff that changed my life or whatever, its cause and effect...i did my 1st draft as military, but im going to scratch it next class and make it about alcohol, cause that kinda did change my life more than anything else.

reminds me, Curling season is ending that means i buy a bottle of single malt scotch. I am the orginizer for the La Crosse Curling clubs bonspeil (tournament). We have 20 teams, attending, that means 80 curlers coming this weekend. Just working the rosters and draw sheets now

Curlers are a different type. Most often when they come to a bonspiel they want to drink and have fun. Sometimes it helps being a non-profit

For an entry fee of $50 ($200 per a team) you get 5 meals, unlimited beer, maybe some booze and at least 3 games of curling. Not many people would complain about that. Of course the club is more then happy to break even on any event.

The Convenience store chain that has it's HQ in La Crosse is already donating 60 Glazers and 10 gallons of OJ. One of the bars has offered free drink tickets, and another a "by one get one free" on drinks.

Most of my work for the event is the planning before, getting awards, reservations, and buying up food and snacks. The rest is rather easy in comparison

It's snowing here! Wow!

I doubt it will amount to anything, though.

I'm taking the day off tomorrow. Just because I can and I really need it... not because of the snow. But a snow day would be awesome, since I could get it off guilt (and reporting it) free! That would be sweet...

Archived