Home

XWA One Year Thread Part VII: Shadows of the Forum

though i just bought a buncha games, put fallout 3 in...cant stop playing it. lol i havent really started the main quest! tomorrow is my first day of college. i'm pretty nervous, it has to be at 8am. :(

looking forward to the weekend and monday though, saturday is my birthday, and monday is my fiance's birthday! Got my shopping done for her. :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which version of D&D? Regardless, use a pregen campaign.

In my D&D group we have a bunch of high level characters (16-18) but it is all homebrew for the adventures, and setting. Rather talented DM I got. tho the players don't have much imagination.

THis weekend I am having an early birthday party where I am going to play this

with all the expansions (Dungeons, Highland, Frostmarch, Reaper, Sacred pool, and Dragon). Completely random, beer and pretzels D&D game

189299_10150250082253461_591183460_7550183_5229899_n.jpg

I ONLY have 1st Edition AD&D and the various "Basic" D&D sets.

You gotta remember: The last time I ACTUALLY ever played D&D was around 1985 or '86! I think I was 15. (I'm 41 now...)

I was out of it before 2nd Ed. appeared.

I was typically DM. I always made my own adventures from scratch... though I own a few modules, I almost never used them. I used the Greyhawk map as a setting for a while... then built my own world. I still have it.

But it's been the better part of 30 years since I've even given it much thought. I didn't even remember most of the combat procedures.

I was thinking of getting the 4E books, just so the kids could play the current game... but I have yet to read a positive review of it from somebody who is an old school gamer.

Maybe I'll just look into one of the free 3.5 "Retro-Clone" D20-System games that are floating around on the web...

But actually, the more I think of it, the "Red Box Basic" BECMI system is probably the best way to start them out. That's how I began...

What we played the other day was kind of an amalgam of stripped-down 1E AD&D and Basic... just to give a feel, and for me to figure out if they even liked it, and if they could possibly handle something more rules intensive.

Interesting news:

WOTC is re-releasing the 1E core rulebooks this spring. I already have originals... but I think it's pretty cool!

http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/books/dd-1st-edition-premium-reprints-to-support-gary-gygax-memorial/64204/

1st day of college was fun...got a parking ticket too. :joy:

Went to gamestop and saw they had buy 2 preowned get 1 free, so i was like huh wtf i didnt get informed of this the last 2 times i went out and bought 2 preowned each time so i had the one receipt and i picked out Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition. :)

Also going to return Dragon Age Origins and pay the extra $1 or $2 for Origins AND Awakening, and hopefully with that receipt pick up Dragon Age 2 for an extra couple bucks, or Mass Effect 2. hmm...

@Ed kudos for old school D&D

As far as 4th edition, it is there to prevent a lot of the flaws in 3.5. The fact that Casters bog down the game at high levels. case in point my Cleric was able to cast about 12 buffing spells on himself before entering combat.

Old skool gamers don't like 4th edition because they have spent YEARS learning to munchkin-ize and 'break' 3.5 and don't want to have to learn it again. Just by my browsing of the game each character has "powers" based on their race and class. So it is kind of like Diablo. 4th is different, but I think it makes it more enjoyable for new gamers since everything is rather clear cut at what you can do. Instead of 3.5 where you have to spend time reading books to figure out the best way to min/max your player

Sure kuuki. Sounda like our Critical master zerker we have in our group. Critical hits on a roll of 15+. Who needs power attack when you got a 25% chance of double damage. My Cleric is tweaked to pretty much kill any evil or undead in one turn. Most of our group combats don't last more then 3 rounds unless the monsters have a high DR.

I think Kuuki just had some sort of seizure :eek:

naw. but that does remind me, I NEED to find that character sheet, I made that guy years ago... I still got it around here somewhere (just to give out what the attack dmg was per roll :3)

besides, my seizure is caused by something else

http://nzcomputers.net/heroforge/

Digital versions. You can input the values of your character into the relevant tabs then it spits out a character sheet. The character sheet itself you can edit with your damage (wounds) and temp modifiers. it doesn't do well with 2 weapon fighting (I have to manually calculate that, meh) but it's PRETTY GODDAMNED AWESOME. (requires Excel 97-2003)

Got in two games of Talisman at my party last night. First game ended with a 3 person battle royal after I got there first, killed one player off, then failed my spell check rolls and got smacked by a damn THIEF.

2nd game dragged on from 7pm til 3am. We finally gave up when the game basically told us it had no chance of beating us anytime soon

still had fun

I was looking for a basic, all-in-one starter box set of D&D to get the kids on the road. Couldn't find it...

Went with Pathfinder RPG box set instead. It looks like a really nice product. D20 OGL 3.5 compatible.

http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/28/inside-paizos-pathfinder-beginners-box-set/

I'm pretty excited about it!

In the meantime... I've been looking over a bunch of the old-school materials I have, as well as stuff I've found online, to get reacquainted and inspired again.

Yeah... It's a dirty, slushy, sloppy mess around here on the streets and sidewalks right now.

I'm always somewhat surprised when I see joggers and bike riders out in it. That's more dedication than I have.

Which probably explains my out-of-shapeness. :dozey:

I have been putting a bit of time in on the bike... Though not as much as I need.

That's more dedication than I have.

It's lack of dedication that compelled me to do it. I have to start the week out right or my motivation evaporates. Otherwise, tomorrow it'll be like, "Well, I didn't do it Monday, so the week's already shot. Might as well eat a bag of Cheetos for breakfast instead."

If it were Wednesday or something, I could skip a day and get back on track, but that Monday morning run sets the tone for the whole week for some reason.

Archived