Home

RIP Bob Anderson

Astor

Bob Anderson, the stunt swordsman who played Darth Vader in the Lightsaber duels in the Original Trilogy died on 1st January aged 89.

The British Academy of Fencing confirmed Anderson died on 1 January.

It was Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars trilogy, who revealed Anderson was behind the fight scenes in a 1983 interview with Starlog magazine.

"It was always supposed to be a secret, but I finally told George (Lucas) - the director - I didn't think it was fair any more," he said.

"Bob worked so bloody hard that he deserves some recognition. It's ridiculous to preserve the myth that it's all done by one man."

In addition to Star Wars, he worked with Errol Flynn, and worked on films such as the Princess Bride, Zorro, several Bond films, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

RIP.

You had me at Princess Bride. Empire and RotJ, may be two of my favorite movies, but it isn't because of the saber battles. Not Mr. Anderson fault there, he was just limited in what he could do because of the characters involved. Princess Bride on the other hand had some great choreographed fights, so did LotR for that matter.

RIP Mr. Anderson. no matrix jokes please.

I hadn't actually heard of him until I read the news of his death on theforce.net earlier today.

Given that he worked on LOTR, and thus was still active in the industry around that time, it's odd he didn't get the gig for the pre-trilogy. Gillard's Maul fight was certainly flashy, but none of the PT fights best the ESB and ROTJ fights IMO. All perhaps a good deal of that is to do with the emotional weight of the OT scenes, something the PT lacked by and large.

Archived