Home

Have you ever been embarrassed by the music in your musical library?

mimartin

50 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been embarrassed by the music in your musical library?

In olden times you could have guilty pleasure songs in your music library, but keep these pleasures from friends and loved ones. Many a time I had to pull over to get my Rick Springfield CDs out of the trunk were I kept them out of the range of prying eyes. Now with my iPod/MP3, I do not have that luxury; all my most embarrassing musical hits are there on display for all my friends to see. Not only that, they can see how many times I’ve listen to them. Can’t use the excuse I rarely listen to Sublime’s “Wrong Way” when it is #9 on my 25 most Played play list. Hard to reassure my friends I still hate country music when George Strait’s “I Hate Everything” is #2 on that list.

So what about it, have you ever been embarrassed by the music in your iPhone/MP3 player?

If you have a funny story share, we all promise not to tell.

Most of my friends know I really don’t care what they think about my taste in music and with 4643 songs in my library I like a wide range of music. However, my most embarrassing moment was on a blind date a couple years ago. Attractive young lady, had a good time, good conversation, driving back home from Houston (50 min drive), iPod on random play… “Closer” by Nine Inch Nails comes on. Did not really notice or think about it until too late…Hit button…Sineod O’Connor comes on…Didn’t know at the time, but my date was huge Catholic and for some reason not a fan of Ms. O’Connor. Needless to say I didn’t get a second date. :)

I don't know if the correct word is embarrassed, but for example, I like epic/trailer music and jazz, and I have many tracks of those genres on my player. However, it's not something that I show to my colleagues. The music tastes of most of them are far different from mine.

However, something funny happened some months ago. We were on a friend's car and when he turned on the radio, his CD started playing jazz tracks. I didn't knew he liked jazz, but all of us who were there said to not turn it off when he was about to. Apparently we all had a common guilty pleasure. :)

Dammit, Bill beat me to it, I was going to make the exact same post! :p

I do have my guilty pleasures, such as:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

But if it makes my musical tastes diverse and arty and varied and such, I mind not in the slightest.

Sometimes my friends will give me a hard time about having Metal or Hardcore on my ipod. I don't really care, and I can't help the fact that my musical taste has broadened beyond the limits of the oh so popular Rap and Hip-Hop.

You know, that is exactly the same thing for me. My friends (most) are in to ardcore rap, I mean, the stuff which for 5 minuets is someone swearing awnd talking about making love to someone. But me, I say, BRING OUT IRON MAIDEN!!!!!!!!!!

I have quite a lot of film scores in my library, next to more conventional tastes like Cash, Bowie, Hendrix, and other music of that era (modern music isn't to my taste), some folk metal, and even the odd CD from various musicals and operettas I like (Sondheim's Sweeney Todd, G&S, etc) and then there are things like Glenn Miller and other contemporaries.

But by far, the most embarrassing thing in my library is this -

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Astor you know there's modern music available that doesn't include the top 40 ****? I get where you're coming from but I still think It's a little asinine to exclude oneself from any new music.

Perhaps I was being a little too hasty by saying all modern music - there's the occasional thing I like, but on the whole I'm not that clued in. :p

You know, that is exactly the same thing for me. My friends (most) are in to ardcore rap, I mean, the stuff which for 5 minuets is someone swearing awnd talking about making love to someone. But me, I say, BRING OUT IRON MAIDEN!!!!!!!!!!

Well don't get me wrong, they are tallented artist and all (well some anyway), I'm just not a huge fan of the genre.

As for the cussing part... I think it can be used as a tool to convey emotion in music ( ie. Immortal Technique ), but I very much dislike it when people talk about sex in their songs. That's why I don't get into any of the really heavy metal bands like Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse. But hey if that's why you like then by all means listen to it.

Well don't get me wrong, they are tallented artist and all (well some anyway), I'm just not a huge fan of the genre.

As for the cussing part... I think it can be used as a tool to convey emotion in music ( ie. Immortal Technique ), but I very much dislike it when people talk about sex in their songs. That's why I don't get into any of the really heavy metal bands like Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse. But hey if that's why you like then by all means listen to it.

Yet again, I agree. I enjoy owl City, and my ringtone is the Lazy Song :)

But some rap can ruin songs. (for me anyway) , and the only rapper I like is Eminem. Still,

*Wipes The Frequently Used MJ Cd*

Now thats good music!!

PS; Yes, talking about sex in music frequantly I can't stand. If only they could replace that with some more meaningful words...

Embarrassed? Heck no. I love all kinds of music. I've sung everything from medieval motets to Carmina Burana (of O Fortuna fame--the city choir is singing that with the symphony in a couple months--epic!) to Wham to Wang Chung to John Denver & The Muppets Christmas album (12 days of Christmas is hilarious!).

Now, I HAVE managed to embarrass my KIDS by turning up Lacuna Coil, Skillet, Epica, Evanescence, and Kamelot really, really loud in the minivan while the windows were rolled down in the summer time, breeze blowing through the windows, and singing at the top of my lungs. It's fun to see the people in the cars next to me with that :eek: look as their brains try to process seeing a mom rocking out in a mini-van.

Archived