Home

SOPA: Had it coming I guess...

Nick Vader

SOPA APPEARS TO BE DEAD. SCORE ONE FOR THE INTERNETZ. Well, 'until there is a wider agreement on a solution.'

But still, rejoice, internet nerds!

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Not true, my friend. It has merely been shelved until next month. As for a post that follows this, where someone considers working 'with' the governments involved, the government will partner with a corporate entity, but never with it's people. Our lawmakers no longer respond to the grass roots, rather they listen to the ones who hand them money or favors.

my buzz = killed

Here's a buzz killer for you; the first rule of dealing with a new law is to remember that until it is tested in court, it only has potential, like the attempt during the Clinton Administration to make the hand gun manufacturers liable for violent crime.

Picture this; I am joe blow on another unaffiliated SW website. I find out that some one has taken some of my work and posted it on this site as theirs. Under DMCA (Digital Millienium Copyright Act, the present law) I send a nastyo note to the mods on this site. They check, find out it's true, and delete the posts, sending nasty notes to the guy who did it and maybe 86 him.

Now use the SOPA rules as written; (and remember, a lawyer can twist a law into a pretzel to make money) the same thing occurs. As the owner of that material, I can sue not only the plagerist, I can also sue the big man, GL as a coroporate entity. How is that for ruining your buzz?

Crazier citizens will shoot it down with threats. I don't think these laws will change how we experience this kind of media within a four year radius, at any rate. But grab what you can. Imagine a perfectly legal internet, where goods are sold legitimately at the rate we consume music of illegitimacy, lets say. Now imagine laws that snap some sense into our current system, and a reasonable system of server and domain jurisdiction in cooperation with the various governments... hey, a way for us to all get together! And systems preventing the piracy of said content. Establishment of information sharing and sharing licenses, music players and subscription systems? Why not. Technology to enhance and redistribute the delivery of media and information.

I myself would love to see the end of internet piracy and... lets say, copletely lax usage of popular culture power by people... literally decked out in illegality, who do not understand the real risk of pushing these types of goods without properly purchasing them.

I'm not clear if this is sarcasm or not?

Not really, just cynicism.

Here's a buzz killer for you; the first rule of dealing with a new law is to remember that until it is tested in court, it only has potential, like the attempt during the Clinton Administration to make the hand gun manufacturers liable for violent crime. etc etc

Ctrl Alt Del replied to that perfectly. How crappy.

^

I believe in the old addage "give credit, where credit is do" and of course these artists and copyright holders by all means SHOULD be entitled to payment for their hard earned work. However, as it stands with such a poorly written, ambiguously vague bill as SOPA anyone seen photographed wearing a T-shirt with the Pepsi logo on it potentially could get hammered for copyright infringment. That Is from what I understand to be the bigger "scope" that has everyone up in arms, if this thing passes things are seriously going to get out of hand. But hey I will give my U.S. government one thing; when they qactually see something through until the end they tend to get 100% results - that is of course excluding a 99% jobless ecconomy, healthcare crisis, and a US economy on the verge of bankruptcy nigh due to all of these future fantastic lawsuits that will be popping up. But of course the internet right now is much, much more important than getting the ecconomy back on its feet or those jobs that were promised three years ago. How about that healthcare package? Naw the interwebz is way more important.

As I'm probably the oldest one here, I can tell you for a fact that every time the government decides to do things like this, it's because they wrote checks with their mouths that they can't cash with their own butt. After the Branch Davidian slaughter at Waco, Congress decided to investigate the way BATF works.

There had been complaints before when the agency had seized personally owned weapons then ran the owners around in court as if it were an Organized Crime case, then when the weapons were finally returned, it was discovered they had been dumped in a barrel without a cover and left in a warehouse without guards so half were missing but hey, that's not BATF's problem, so no recompense.

Then before the investigation can happen, we have Oklahoma City (My favorite conspiracy theory [Old crime adage, who profits]) because the only Federal Agency that got what they wanted out of that was the BATF.

The problem with SOPA and PIPA is that ANY site that is deemed to have access to the intellectual property of someone else can be sued into non-existence even as a hyperlink. For instance, a person on here has a link in their signature that goes to Megaupload. Mega Upload has a clip hosted and uploaded by someone else that has music in the background that is owned by another company. That company can get Mega Upload, and even this site closed down. Even worse, a competing company can have an employee host a clip with their own product and put a link to it on their competitor's web site and get them shut down. It's a great tool for a big company to kill competition.

^

LF may as well shutdown if these things get accepted, I mean unless we all have question marks (unless the question mark is also copyrighted)for avatars and nothing for signatures because even a text quote is considered "intellectual property".

^

LF may as well shutdown if these things get accepted, I mean unless we all have question marks (unless the question mark is also copyrighted)for avatars and nothing for signatures because even a text quote is considered "intellectual property".

Sounds convinient. And next thing you know the army is patrolling outside your house for your own safety. And then they vote for you, just so they're sure you vote whats best for you.

Sounds convinient. And next thing you know the army is patrolling outside your house for your own safety. And then they vote for you, just so they're sure you vote whats best for you.

It may sound far-fetched but as far as the US government is concerned it (i.e. the Entertainment Industry) can make much more money by severely limiting the country's personal freedoms and replace them with those that they will profit from (and in return Hollywood will continue to purchase more politicians & congressmen and the democratic system will continue to stagnate). It's enslavement if you ask me.

Archived