Home

2012 - Time for JK4

Yarren

Now, I know many of you will immediately say "It's not going to happen". It has been over a decade since Jedi Knight Outcast was released and it was a major success. Jedi Academy was released coming up to 8 years ago but wasn't as successful, but still did well. I don't know the exact stats so correct me if I'm wrong.

Through these years we've seen many games come and go. Through this time Star Wars Galaxies was released and then shut down, The Force Unleashed came out and everyone hated it, TOR has just come out and although it's quite good, I don't see it lasting (People are going to get bored). It's clear that the people want a Battlefront 3 and a new Jedi Knight-styled game, a "JK4" maybe.

The reasons the Jedi Knight series still has a population today is clear... It has something for everyone. I don't consider myself a gamer by any means, yet some may argue a gamer is merely someone who plays games. I've played Jedi Academy for five of its eight years of existance because I found it's Multiplayer feature very good for roleplay. I also found that the combat was awesome, and was enjoyed by many FFAers giving options to use saber or guns.

The years have brought a lot of custom content enjoyed by the community such as JEDI's RPMOD and Movie Battles 2, something not easily re-lived with other games.

2012 is the time for JK4. Lucas arts needs to listen to its fanbase and understand what we want. We need to gather and support it!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the book "The Art and Making of The Force Unleashed", when LucasArts was discussing ideas for a next-gen Star Wars game, one of them was called "Star Wars: Jedi Master", a spiritual successor of the Jedi Knight games. Eventually it was dropped off because their concept was too "gore"(?).

That makes me think that if they eventually want to continue this series, it won't be a 'Jedi Knight III'. It will be something similar to the 'Jedi Master' concept.

It has been, by my reckoning, nine years since the last game. I'm all for another Jedi Knight... but do we really want a remake or spiritual successor to Jedi Academy? I mean, the game had cool elements (particularly mission choice, upgrade options, lightsabers and the multiplayer), but the storyline was, it must be said, pretty dreadful.

It has been, by my reckoning, nine years since the last game. I'm all for another Jedi Knight... but do we really want a remake or spiritual successor to Jedi Academy? I mean, the game had cool elements (particularly mission choice, upgrade options, lightsabers and the multiplayer), but the storyline was, it must be said, pretty dreadful.

How can you say that, I wrote the Pulitzer-winning Jaden Korr - Darth Qollous off of it :S

The main reason why I want a new game is to play a JK MP that actually has people playing. MP is dieing (If you haven't already considered in dead). Imagine if we could re-live those days when people would flood onto your servers!

• 4 weeks later...
The main reason why I want a new game is to play a JK MP that actually has people playing. MP is dieing (If you haven't already considered in dead). Imagine if we could re-live those days when people would flood onto your servers!

this and something that uses more than OpenGL 1.1

Good point. I actually never thought about that. Either if it's BFIII or JK3, I'll be happy.

I must admit I'm hoping for JK much more than BF.

So the project was worked on for 2/3 years, that's a decent time frame. We should hear more about it this year I suppose.

We also know that Spark Unlimited never worked on a hi budget game before. They have some good ideas and concepts. Legendary wasn't that bad. Never played Fall of liberty though. :raise:

You are absolutley right. Main problem is convincing Lucasarts that this game will make them money. I mean BFII is said to be the best selling Star Wars game of all time, and yet no sequel ever saw the light of day. Bottom line, Lucasarts does not subscribe to the "if you build it they will come" process. So I guess have fun with your wii clone wars games and nods for ten year old games.

LucasArts has said time and again that they will not make another Jedi Knight game.

Really? I haven't seen that quote. Could you link it?

Well anyway it's been 9 years since Jedi Academy, their policy could change. After the mixed reception of TFU and TFU 2, the clone war games and the terrible upcoming Kinect game, going back to one of their most beloved franchises and characters seems like a good move.

• 2 weeks later...

no-one will play Jedi Knight Jedi Betrayal unless you have some magnificent plan for advertising to an audience beyond the old JKA players by chiming in with posts about your mod. It's the second time I've seen you link JB. players making mods for JKA does not fulfil my desire to have a more active community.. I still want to press for a JK4 or successor

LucasArts has said time and again that they will not make another Jedi Knight game. Don't let your hopes drop though. Our mod team is working on creating a Jedi Knight 4 mod for Jedi Academy. Here's our ModDB page:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-jedi-betrayal1

24 levels!? That's a ton of work for non-professionals. Do you really need that many?

I would love to see another installment in the series. The one thing that separates Jedi games from most other FPS is the Light Saber and Force Powers.

It really is an elegant weapon, unlike anything else out there.

Maybe they will need to release another prequel/sequel to Star Wars before it will happen since they have already included just about every type of planet, vehicle, creature, race and weapon from the movies?

Maybe they don't want to re-hash the same old thing?

definitely true. i loved the mechanics (for the most part) but the storyline was infamously bad.

Archived