Home

Purge!

MsFicwriter

Two words immediately flashed through Per'dra's mind when the mysterious woman spoke: V'toryv and no. She feared that too many strangers--who had now become acquaintances, but were still strangers nonetheless--knew about the Great Wyrm and the mission to which she herself had called the Bard. Instead of mentioning anything about her nightmares as she had before, or what the Elf had revealed to her at the Drunkard's Haven, Per'dra spoke of more immediate matters. What were they now but a band of misfits on the run from something they couldn't defeat?

"We've all come from the city of Paryer," Per'dra explained, "which has just recently been destroyed by a vast army calling itself the Purge. Its goal is to wipe out everything and everyone in Sazhen', unless they convert to the Purge's cause. It's ironic, because the Purge claims to want to rid this realm of all evil and wickedness. They cannot see the darkness within their own hearts." Pausing for a moment, she continued, "I guess you could call us refugees. We have experienced a loss recently, that of our ferryman, and we've burned his raft as a funeral pyre. And to throw the Purge off course."

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tael couldn't help himself but smirk at the strange turn of events.

"How ironic. First I save your life, then you save mine.", he said to Meara. "We're even.", he added, with a smile.

Tael glanced around, unable to recognize where he is.

"Where are we?", he asked, looking at Per'dra.

Sighing, she informed him: "Our ferryman, Oleg, was shot through the neck last night by an arrow from a Purge assassin's bow! No one noticed his passing until this morning, and by then we'd gone off course from the Auris River. We're now in a forest along the banks of the Cherna, in Dark Elven territory..."

At this new information, the mystery woman's eyes lit up. "The Auris! Towns along its banks, nothing special. Where it ends, special."

She began pacing. "Our paths. Same direction, same destination. Dwarves await." She stared at the party curiously. "They don't take kindly to strangers. How would you gain entry?"

But before anyone could answer, she shook her head. "Doesn't matter. I can help. Dwarves contacted the Network. Want information. Classified, can't say what. I have it."

Her pacing stopped and she grinned widely at Per'dra. "But why trust me? Why trust you? Purge makes an easy scapegoat. I can prove us both trustworthy to one another, Leader. Telepathy-by-touch."

She pulled the glove off her right hand and wiggled her fingers. "But dare you risk it? You show caution. Good. But if Purge after you, you have little time. Choose quickly."

Leader? Per'dra wasn't sure she liked the term, or if it suited her. It fit like a too-large set of clothes, leaving her to stumble and trip over the sagging parts! After all, wasn't a leader a hero--someone who was mighty in battle, almost invincible, and so righteous that he or she wouldn't even think of doing wrong? Wasn't a leader someone that the Purge might very well torture to have on their side, instead of kill outright? Wasn't a leader someone far stronger than she?

I'm simply fleeing for my life, she thought, a slum-dweller sent on a mission by an unknown force. Who knows if we'll even succeed? A true leader knows we will, but I? I did not face the Purge with any courage. I just ran...

"What's the Network?" she blurted out, not even realizing she was clearing the previous thoughts from her mind. "And what kind of information would be so classified that a beautiful stranger here in this forest knows it, but not a King?" She withdrew her hand at first from the vicinity of the mysterious woman's fingers, but then reconsidered. "I think all of us could use another ally against the Purge, because we need all the help we can get against an army that size..." Hesitantly, she placed her palm within the stranger's own.

"But why trust me? Why trust you? Purge makes an easy scapegoat. I can prove us both trustworthy to one another, Leader. Telepathy-by-touch."

"I do hope that the question is merely hypothetical in nature.", Tael said, glaring at the mystery woman. "But you and Meara saved my life, so hopefully that doesn't mean that you would seek to kill us." Tael paused, and took note of the current state of the group. "And I don't think we necessarily have a leader. We're merely a rag-tag group of individuals trying to survive from the Purge."

Vakarr never took his gaze away from this mysterious woman. He found it quite odd that she was out here, all alone. Her eye color was one thing that made him raise a brow. She was human, wasn't she? That wasn't what bugged him though. What bugged him was that she had found this group in no time. Things seemed a little too... convenient for his tastes.

For the time being though, he followed the group to the fire she had. His gaze met hers for a few seconds as she looked around at the group. Was she silently judging him, like he was judging her. The others began to speak about a few things that didn't interest him...mainly the ferryman. What caught his interest was the mentioning of the dwarves. Per'dra didn't bring them up, this mysterious woman did. This only made Vakarr even more suspicious of this woman.

What he saw next took his completely off guard. The woman removed her glove, claiming this group could trust her simply by touching another's hand. The very thought of it was so silly that Vakarr almost broke into laughter. What did take him over the edge so to speak was that Per'dra actually went for it as she clasped hands with the woman. He let out a deep laugh which was just a bit eerie to listen to.

"You can't be serious about this? Am I the only one who finds it odd that we found this woman so quickly after being attacked? That perhaps she's a spy working with the Purge? That we're really suppose to believe she is trustworthy because she can touch hands? I'm sorry, but I find that very hard to believe," Vakarr said.

Tegan thought for a moment about this strange woman's offer, and then spoke up,

"I don't trust you. A skilled telepath could still deceive others through the link. Vakarr's right. You could be a spy, but you're being too obvious. Maybe you're not with the Purge, but that doesn't make you an ally."

"If it makes you two feel any better," Per'dra replied, "I didn't feel or sense anything when we touched hands. Perhaps the link didn't work. I was rather expecting a warm, fuzzy sensation, or maybe a brand on my palm. Instead, I only felt the smooth skin of your hand, good woman. I appreciate your trying to help us, especially with Tael being wounded, but Vakarr's right. The Purge has spies everywhere, and who's to say they haven't already ventured to this forest on the Cherna River? They've been trying to slaughter or capture everyone for a while now, although bit by bit instead of a sudden assault like the one on Paryer." Stifling back tears, she said, "How far have their forces really spread?"

At the physical contact, the woman winced, but did nothing until Per'dra released her hand. As the murmurs of discontent and distrust rippled through the group, she began massaging her forehead.

In reply to Tael, she said, "Leaderless? No. You have destination. Destination suggests leadership."

To Vakarr and Tegan she offered a smile. "Skilled, I am not."

Turning to Per'dra, she said, "You got nothing?" She murmured a few words in her strange language. "Your name, I now have. Per'dra." She smiled faintly. "Beautiful name. Only information I learned from you."

She began pacing again. "Purge has spread far. Yes, even here. Heading for Dark Elves next, if information accurate."

Her gaze turned back to Per'dra. "You asked earlier. The Network. The Spy from Nowhere. Zhaanain. All are one. I am representative. Akeirra, my name."

((OOC: In my next post, I'll have the Purge continuing to burn up Paryer. I promise! :xp:))

"Leaderless? No. You have destination. Destination suggests leadership."

"For some reason, I doubt that. Destination suggests the place where we have to go. Leadership is determined by who has the best leadership traits. From what I observed, Per'dra, me, or him, would make adequate leaders for the group.", Tael replied, making a gesture towards Vakarr.

"And he's right. Even though you saved my life, this is WAY too convenient for my tastes. And no, I don't believe in coincidence.", Tael added, agreeing with Vakarr.

Emi was kind of hiding behind Per'dra while everyone else was talking to the mystery woman. She looked at her for a moment and then back at Per'dra and the others.

"I... think that... Per'dra should lead... after all... she's the one that... knows the way", Emi said simply talking about how Per'dra was the only one with the link to V'toryv. She was the only one who could communicate with her, so it made her the logical choice for leadership.

The Bard gave Emi's hand a slight and hesitant squeeze, along with a smile. "Thank you for the vote of confidence," she told the Reaver amiably, "but, whether I'm the leader or not, I'm afraid we'll have to make a decision if we're going to outrun the Purge. As for you, Akeirra..." She trailed off. "I have never heard of this Network or the Spy from Nowhere, except in rumors about town spoken in dingy taverns. If you speak the truth, then apparently those rumors have some veracity. For all I know, you could be a spy for the Purge itself, although I sense none of the..." She was about to say mark of dragon's blood, but revealing that piece of information would betray V'toryv and the secret Per'dra had sworn to the Elf to keep. Coughing, she continued:

"As I was saying, I sense absolutely none of the aura that surrounds any member loyal to the Purge. It's a pull of subtle strength and power, much like the force found in iron ore which makes compasses point. Also, the more people that they kill, the stronger their bodies become. If they take prisoners and convert them, however, their souls absorb the converts' 'fifth essence', the ability that gives them the power to make decisions freely. It's a terrible fate for a Purge captive either way. In regards to this pervasive aura..."

Blinking, Per'dra let her mind slip into the vastness and beauty of the universe.

"If I suspected that you had it...I'd kill you. Not even Emi, the Reaver by my side, has full control over the power she wields. It grieves her, I do believe."

Stepping back, she raised her head and said: "Despite the fact that none of us, including myself, trust you completely, we do need a guide through this forest if we're going to find the Auris River again and get off the Cherna. I know next to nothing about this territory, because I fear the Dark Elves. It's no use to any of us if we go tromping through the brush and trees not knowing whither we wander! Besides, I think that for saving Tael's life, we shouldn't leave you here to be ambushed or slain by the Purge. Thus--"

She took a deep breath. "At least for right now, welcome aboard, Akeirra."

Vakarr smiled a hidden smile as he looked around at the others. He was glad to see that people agreed with them. What he was most appreciative of was Tael's claim at him being a potential leader. He would make an expectational leader, one they needed. Not that he didn't have faith in Per'dra. She was proving to be competent enough.

Suddenly Vakarr found himself somewhat irritated with Per'dra. The slightest growl suddenly emitted from his throat when she spoke to Emi. His annoyance grew when she welcomed Akeirra. Vakarr still didn't trust this woman, and a few others didn't either. He shook his head in disapproval.

"I'm still not convinced, and don't think we should welcome her just yet." Vakarr said.

He looked to Akeirra before slowly taking off one his his gauntlets, revealing a gray hand. He slowly walked over to Akeirra, only needing to move a short distance as he was on the other side of Emi. He held his hand out to Akeirra. He soon however took it away.

"Forgive me Miss Akeirra, but if your trust though touch truly works I wish to see this for myself. " Vakarr said as he stuck his hand back out.

"I think that to be on the safe side, we should be wary of her.", Tael said, trying to draw a compromise.

City of Paryer

Uradus swung his chained hook, killing two civilians. As he walked forward, he heard weeping in the building next to him. A child. A look crossed his face as he turned, seeing a little girl, roughly six years old, standing in the doorway - crying. As he rose his chain, he heard the unmistakable click of a loaded crossbow.

Don't even think about it., a voice intruding his mind said.

He turned his head to see Athaso, holding his crossbow in his outstretched right arm, finger resting on the trigger.

"What?", Uradus asked bitterly. Athaso always did bother him.

Are you so fallen that you must take the life of a child, one who has just lost her family?, the voice replied, coldly.

Athaso never did speak directly. He always preferred to speak telepathically - a technique he learned from some old book.

"She just lost her family! I'm doing her a favor!", Uradus shot back.

It is morally wrong for one to take the life of a child, no matter what position they might be in. The Purge should not stoop so low to take the life of one who hasn't even had an actual life yet - but alas, animals like you do it anyway!, the voice said.

"Your validity is unneeded. We're Purging this world of the evil and the wicked, and killing her would spare her from the memory of watching her whole family slaughtered!", Uradus said, gripping his chained hook.

You easily fall into the category of evil and the wicked. I've watched you kill. You enjoy the bloodshed as if it is a wonderous feast for you - the glory you get from the lakes of blood on your hands, the piles of bodies inside of cities scorched from our eternal flames. I merely kill because I believe that it is necessary - you kill for glory, and you lust for wanton slaughter., the voice paused, then continued.

The Purge does not need a liability like you, you wicked animal.

It was then that Uradus noticed the glint of mercury on the tip of his arrow. He would easily be able to shear the arrow with his chained hook once it was in the air, but Athaso had a stiletto, and was much faster than him. The odds were stacked evenly: Athaso had speed and flexibility, while Uradus had size and strength. But before either could fight, however, he felt his whole body slam into a wall. Strangely, it happened to Athaso as well. He turned to see Fa'ask, who used telekinesis to slam each other backwards into opposite walls.

"You two on the verge of nearly killing each other, again?", Fa'ask asked, obviously knowing the answer. Noticing the child still standing at the doorway, he made a swift motion with his hand - a knife plunged into her neck, killing her instantly.

"Save your anger for the rest of the wicked in this city.", Fa'ask said, walking away.

"Forgive me Miss Akeirra, but if your trust though touch truly works I wish to see this for myself. " Vakarr said as he stuck his hand back out.

Akeirra looked down at his hand, a little uncertainly. "Didn't say trust. Said telepathy. I'm in early stages development, manifests as telepathy-by-touch only. And even then, not much information. We exchange names, scattered images, fragments of surface thought, snippets of native language."

She glanced again at Per'dra. "Curious Per'dra got nothing. I had hoped..." She sighed. "My connection to the Network, my aversion to the Purge, these things I hoped would transfer. But they didn't. You're different somehow."

Turning back to Vakarr, she sighed. "I honor your request."

After one final moment of hesitation, she placed her bare hand in Vakarr's waiting one. For a moment, nothing happened. Then, a faint tingling sensation rushed up Vakarr's arm and things he had never known were suddenly there in his mind.

Zhannain translates "unknown"... Spy from Nowhere... ally... Akeirra... Dwarves seek information... avoid the Purge... sacrifice life before delivering Network information to enemies...

With a yelp of pain, Akeirra drew her hand away, bringing both of them up to massage her forehead. "Sorry, Vakarr," she groaned. "I had to terminate connection. For you, a slight tingling. For me, raging headache."

Perhaps her pain fueled it, but she seemed even more agitated now. "No time to lose. Purge will be drawn aside by ferryman's pyre. Not long though. Time to be moving."

Empty....Yes, the great city of Paryer was empty. Void of all the life it once had, it was a cryptic, hollow world of shadow and silence now, only offset by the glow of spreading flames.

A large, cloaked figure rode throughout the streets on the back of a hulking horse (if it could be called that), covered from head to hoof in old brass-like barding, and draped in a faded trapper, with designs of unknown make, meaning, or origin; slick black eyes the only indication that the creature this equally hulking figure now rode was alive at all, or even remotely a horse.

The figure stopped, looking down at the smoldering remains of a building, the distinct shapes of lanky, black-boned corpses lay about under the the charred remains and ashes, a fading but still pointedly pungent smell of burnt alcohol in the air. The figure dismounted, striding cautiously over to the blackened remains of the building, stooping down near one of the burnt corpses, a gauntlet appearing from under the cloak, reaching out to touch the skeletal remains with the bare tips of it's metal covered fingers. The figure tensed, reaching out, it pulled a crossbow bolt out of the skull of the blackened corpse with a hard jerk; raising the object up to it's hooded face, it's grasp tightened, and nearly snapped the bolt, but instead replaced it's hand back within the cloak, the bolt disappearing with it.

The figure stood, moving off down the street at a ponderous pace, the hulking horse tromping along a distance behind the figure.

Coming close to the edge of the city, the figure paused, looking out at the see of life outside, distant shapes, tents, fires, the Purge, resting from it's recent endeavors to destroy one of the largest cities that Man had claims to. Then it's hooded gaze turned, staring at the hushed devastation about, the empty buildings, creaking, cackling, and whispering in the breeze that was spreading the massive fires of the Gold District throughout the rest of the city, bodies of bystanders strewn about, it's head lowering shaking in the absolute slightest that one would think the wind were simply playing with the figure's hood if they didn't know otherwise. But nobody was there to see, nobody knew otherwise.

The figure raised it's head, the hooded facade angling this way and that as it silently observed the cobblestone covered graveyard with the buildings as it's oppressing wooden headstones. But the hood suddenly halted, the figure's body tensing; with it's head still stooped down somewhat, but looking out to the side, it was a deterring sight as the hulking figure stood paused in it's actions and observation.

Moving as if incoherent, the figure strode up to a small form in the doorway of one of those wooden giants that laughed like a crone when the wind caressed it. Falling to it's knees with a 'thud', the clattering of metal could be heard as it did, the gauntlet appeared once more, joined by it's sibling, the figure reaching out to the small form, lifting it's head in one of it's hands. Brushing aside thin wispy hair from the still form's face; the girl's eyes still open, grey and filmed over, thin lines of moisture barely evident anymore could be seen trailed down her pale white cheeks, metal fingers traced her cold blue lips. The figure stooped over the dead child, slowly, ponderously, scooping the child up in a manner almost obsessive, bringing it's hooded face near the girls own, a single dark drop fell on her forehead, the red bead of liquid running off into the lining of her hair. As the figure began to straighten up from it's near fetal position, it began to tremble, then shake violently, an unnatural guttural sound like that of a terrible beast of pure wrath and enmity rumbled from the figure like thunder during a great storm.

Standing, girl in arms, the figure stormed off in long strides that carried it towards the Purge encampment. ((Imagine Darth Vader when he walks))

______

"Sir! We weren't expecting your arrival so soon! But I am happy to report that nearly all who were captured have joined the Purge, Sir! We have thousands, uh......" The Purge Lieutenant paused, his face lowering, and look going plain. The minor officer looked back up at the hooded figure's shadowed and covered face, his own face growing stern as a slow realization came over him and the surrounding soldiers at their campfires who'd been watching, now all silent and still, a growing sense of dread clinging to the air.

Another bestial sound of primal spite and rage could be heard rumbling forth from the ominous figure, the men freezing in shear terror of their leader.

"Bring me Fa'ask!!!"

((Wanted to do more, post as my Elf and Dwarf, etc., but it was late. Also, killing children is a no-no, even for Purge, Papa Poteryannyĭ spank rebellious Fa'ask. :eek: ))

"Bring me Fa'ask!!!"

Fa'ask heard the words reverberate in the air - the unmistakable voice of Poteryannyĭ.

He strode towards the entrance to the camp, walking with a brisk pace. Stopping a few meters away from Poteryannyĭ - Fa'ask was flanked by Uradus to his left, and Athaso to his right. Poteryannyĭ's authority and intimidation could only be rivaled by Fa'ask's own - and even then - Fa'ask was paled in comparison.

"You summoned me, sir?", he asked - barely any twinge of fear or emotion in his voice.

In the Forest of Trepidation, along the Cherna River

Even though it was still daylight out, Per'dra moved among its trees and brush as cautiously as if night had fallen. The Dark Elves were renowned for their stealth and assassination skills, with camouflage being a close third. Hired killers and lookouts for the Purge could be everywhere--not to mention hostile and territorial locals. That was why she and the others only dared to speak to one another if it was absolutely necessary. Still, the unique sounds of their footsteps in the forest were as unmistakable as messages in code.

The Bard's own tracks were fox-like, hesitant: Slip! Slip! Tap! Slip...

In contrast, those of Vakarr were forceful: Stomp! Stomp! Stomp!

The Reaver's footfalls were light and nervous: Skitter, skitter, skitter...

Tael, though a warrior, made each step deliberately: Crunch, crunch...

Hopefully, any strangers that they came across would take them for a band of hunters, although who would need this many people along to go hunting? If all else failed, Per'dra would tell any who encountered them that they were refugees from the Purge. This was true, and besides, who else needed to know about V'toryv and the fateful mission upon which she'd sent them? In a sudden flash of insight, Per'dra realized that was the reason why Akeirra had not been able to perform telepathy upon her as easily as she'd expected.

The Great Wyrm was protecting her consciousness from intrusion. She had to be. Otherwise, Per'dra knew that she herself could easily fall victim to torture or mind-reading tricks from skilled mages affiliated with that wicked army. In spite of Akeirra's helpfulness so far, and skill in helping to save Tael's life, the Bard still didn't trust her completely. She'd just have to wait and see...

Vakarr had a hidden smirk on his face as he too felt nothing but her bare hand against his own. Then he felt a tingling feeling in his palm. The feeling moved from his palm, down to his fingers and up the rest of his arm.

Images began flashing in Vakarr's mind. He didn't know what he was seeing at first, but soon heard Akeirra's name. Something about the Network, and the dwarves. The most important bit he saw was the warning of the Purge, and to avoid them. She couldn't be working with them.

Vakarr took a step back when she let go of his hand and held her head. He quickly put his gauntlet back on, wanting to move out as well. He had gotten images from her, and knew she had gotten some from him. He knew exactly what she got too.

Images of his mother and a younger version of him were the first things she would see. The death of his mother and him crying would come next. His hatred of the Purge, proving his loyalty, came next. His desire for power was thrown in as well. Lastly came this little group, and what he thought of them. Some were put up...much much higher than the others...and now Akierra probably knew that.

Vakarr stayed silent as they walked. His footsteps were much louder than the others. Given his height and armor, it made sense. He followed Per'dra, still recognizing her as the group's leader. He never spoke to her about the growl from earlier, and was certain she let it pass...or she feared bringing it up. He glanced over at Emi for a few seconds before looking away. Did she fear him as well? Vakarr sighed quietly as they continued walking.

The Forest of Trepidation had not earned its nickname for naught. Not only did it harbor possible scouts and assassins for the Purge, but also poisonous foliage and concealed traps. The Dark Elves used many of these for hunting game, but not the ones tipped with mercury and a native concoction called dur'natha. Animals were not the prey they sought with these particular snares. It was a well-known fact in Sazhen' that several races, including the Forest Elves and Umbermen, considered the Dark Elves evil to the core and sought to eradicate them. Thus, the Dark Elves fortified their homeland with every possible defense. Their imposing capital city, Tener'ixal, with the X making an "sh" sound, was actually a darker and more convoluted version of the Forest Elves' treetop home. Unbeknownst to everyone in this ragtag band of courageous adventurers, they were walking right underneath it until...

"Agh!" Per'dra gritted her teeth as a trap closed tightly around her foot.

"My lady!" Meara, the barmaid who had so far been bringing up the rear of the group, suddenly barreled forward and almost knocked several party members to the ground. "Is it--is it poisoned?" She'd heard rumors about such things.

"I don't know," the Bard replied, practically gasping the words, "but get it off!" As Meara frantically tried to locate the spring mechanism for the trap, the rest of the group noticed that, as they looked up, hundreds of bows were drawn in the trees above. All of them contained sharp arrows ready to fire...

Tael gripped both of his swords when Per'dra was tangled into a net. However, as he looked up he saw hundreds of arrows pointed at them - with the archers undoubtedly lining up their shots. A battle they wouldn't most likely survive, he dropped both of his swords onto the ground, and raised both of his arms.

"Hold your fire - this doesn't have to end in bloodshed!", Tael shouted to the archers in the trees.

"Hold!"

The voice echoing down through the forest's immense and gnarled trees was not only threatening, but loud enough to make the Dark Elven archers freeze. They remained poised like statues, bows still drawn, not daring to breathe. The wrath of the presence that commanded this voice was great and terrible. None dared oppose the Lord of the Hunt, Un'adrubin, Captain of the Guard of Tener'ixal. He stepped to the ledge of one of the treetop city's platforms--the one supporting the royal palace, which vanished into thick violet haze.

"You are trespassing in our homeland, the Forest of Trepidation!"

Wiping tears from her eyes, Per'dra coughed and cupped her hands to her lips:

"My lord, we realize this, but we have no other choice. We're lost, having been diverted from our course along the Auris River by...rather unforeseen circumstances. With our ferryman dead, now burning on the raft that he once commandeered, we have no idea how to locate the Intertwining of the Seven Snakes of the Riault River. We shall leave once we have new directions."

Complete silence. After sixty tense seconds, the Captain of the Guard said:

"Truly? What are these 'circumstances' of which you speak?"

"The Purge. They slew the ferryman, and are now coming for us all..."

Emi turned sharply as soon as she heard Per'dra's painful gasp and was nearly tumbled on to the ground by Meara, who ran to her side as quickly as she could manage. Emi however moved quickly around her companions on to Per'dra's side and did not even look at the now menacing arrows that were pointed in their direction. She quickly eyed the trap, she pulled a small iron nail and cut a cord to loosen the trap, she then helped Per'dra out to take the trap off her foot and quickly wrapped her wound in bandages she had that smelled a bit funny, but that was only because it had essence of healing salves that she used herself for... her own personal scars.

"Is it... better now?", Emi asked.

As soon as the trap had sprung, Akeirra ducked into the shadows, fearing an ambush. Instinctively, she thought only of her own safety. But she had barely left the group - could still reach out and touch two of them, in fact - when the point of an arrow was gently touched against her back. She froze, knowing the arrow would run her clean through if she dared move.

She turned her head slowly until she could see the Elf holding her at arrowpoint. He wore a grim expression, and the look in his eyes told her he wanted nothing more than to be ordered to release the arrow he held at her back. Still, he would not go against his standing orders, and Akeirra deemed it necessary to use that to her advantage.

Slowly, she reached back, a card in her hand, turning it so he could see what was written there. The archer's eyes narrowed as his sharp eyes took in the small slip. He was torn between keeping silent, as he was supposed to, or speaking up. It was important information, after all. Even the Dark Elves had made use of Zhannain's Network.

"Captain," he said at last. "This one bears Zhannain's calling card."

Archived