Home

Purge!

MsFicwriter

((Going to control Faa'sk, since Tael is comatose/asleep/knocked out))

City of Paryer

Faa'sk Haek walked through the front gates of the great city of Paryer. Behind him, was a battalion of Purge soldiers - intent to burn the city to the ground. The Gold District lay right before them, and Faa'sk started the chaos by sending all his men to slaughter everyone.

"Let them be purged!", shouted Faa'sk, "Those too infatuated with their riches don't deserve to have the privilege of life!".

The district became a slaughterhouse, with them setting homes and buildings ablaze. It caused huge columns of fire to rise into the sky, high enough for all of Paryer to see. He broke off from the main group, killing a noble along the way. Noticing a large mansion, he reached his hand out toward it. Concentrating heavily, the building combusted - setting ablaze both the family inside, and the surrounding yard.

He fell toward the ground on one knee. Using magic such as that required great focus, and it took much from the user. A group of guards saw him in his weakened state.

"There's the Purge rodent!", the guard captain cried. They grasped their swords and charged towards him. He gripped his sword, and stood up. He sliced at the abdomen of the guard captain, cutting him in two. A guard wielding a trident tried flanking him from behind, but he spun and parried, thrusting his blade into the man's chest. Another guard tried a series of jabs and erratic movements, but Faa'sk simply did a horizontal strike toward the guard's throat. One of the last guards ran toward him with a spear, while the other attacked him from afar with a crossbow. He threw his hand out at the rapidly advancing guard, freezing him in place. He dropped his sword, picked up the frozen guard, and threw it at the other guard. The guard had little time to run, and it would give him a concussion if it collided. As it did, a chunk of ice broke off when it hit him. It lodged into his lungs, and he passed out - dying soon thereafter.

As he marched forward, he caught a glimpse of a ferry going down the river. Not bothering to chase after it, he went forward, advancing towards Drunkard's Haven.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per'dra gazed at Oleg apprehensively. "If the Dwarves won't even let us into Borthar'nal," she said, "that's a moot point. Do you think they've even heard of the Purge if they voluntarily separate themselves from the rest of Sazhen'? Moreover, what's so 'vile' and 'wicked' about the Dwarven people that the Purge would seek to eradicate them?" The ferryman shrugged and shook his head. As for the Bard, she sighed: "Maybe there is no reason, except that the leaders of the Purge are lunatics. No one can fathom their logic."

"Excuse me, friend," said Meara, putting a hand on Per'dra's arm, "but how in the world did I get from the Drunkard's Haven to...here?" She glanced uneasily at her fellow passengers on the raft. "I distinctly remember being quite startled by something--so startled that I fainted! You didn't carry me all the way from the tavern onto this ferry by yourself, did ye?"

Per'dra gave a snort and slapped her hand over her mouth. "Definitely not! I lack the strength, if not the stamina..." She trailed off. "I believe that the unfortunately unconscious man in the middle of the raft did so." Tael? Is that his name? I think I remember meeting him at the tavern...

Emi noticed Vakarr had taken another one of the steering poles and she redirected her sight to Oleg as she had matched his rythm to keep the boat on the path he needed it to be. However as the barmaid mentioned how she fainted at the bar, Emi shrunk a little in her seat and kept her head down as if only to see the oar in her hand and occasionally look at Oleg to see if she was keeping up.

"Umm...", she paused a moment and looked at Per'dra. "I once helped... the dwarves... maybe, they might... allow us an audience?".

She said in her usual quiet voice, as if her words would faint over the sound of the river. But she had to put it out there, maybe lend a hand if she could.

Ferryman Oleg had always earned a reputation for being overly loud, overly brash, and most of all, overly attentive to other people's conversations...

"You helped the Dwarves? How in sodding perdition--err, excuse me--how in Sazhen' did you earn the privilege of doing that? Most Dwarves, at least the ones I have met, never ask for help. 'Meddling do-gooder,' their silly old king called me once, when their supplies of fresh surface vegetables were running low and their mountain tunnels were collapsing. I had offered to ferry them some down from the markets of Paryer, but they just scoffed! 'No,' they replied, turning up their noses! 'If we Dwarves can't stand on our own two feet, we'll fall.' They were so stubborn!"

Meara the barmaid, ignoring Oleg's rude comments, looked at Emi and made her own.

"Perhaps it has something to do with your 'special talent', eh, half-breed?"

"Meara!" Per'dra gave her friend's forearm a slight slap. "Retract that!"

"Why should I, when I'm not the one that sucks souls out of bodies?"

"Enough, all of you! Who cares how she helped the dwarves, as long as it can get us through? We have bigger problems than who did what in the past." Tegan shouted at the bickering group.

"Do you really want to be here bickering when the Purge catches up to us? Because that's what'll happen if you keep at this."

Vakarr continued to row only half paying attention to the others. What did bring him back to reality so to speak was what Oleg has said. Vakarr glanced over at the dwarf that was with them and only shook his head at the man's ignorance. What struck his never was the thing the barmaid has said.

Half-breed echoed in his head, over and over again. The word was an insult used by the other children to taunt Vakarr, one he didn't like. The humans made fun of him for not fitting in...not being like him. They teased him for being part dark-elf, and how wrong such a thing was. Why would he want to be like them? Why would he want to be a race so full of flaws yet too proud to admit it?

Vakarr stopped rowing, dropping the pole altogether. He turned and in one swift motion drew his long sword with his right hand. He ignored Tegan's words and looked to the barmaid. Despite no one being able to see his eyes, they were giving the barmaid a most threatening death glare.

"You will retract your statement human...or I'll have the personal pleasure of bathing this floor in your blood," Vakarr said.

Ferry

All the sudden screaming and bickering woke Tael from his sleep. He grunted to himself as he stood up, leaning on the back wall.

"Why should I, when I'm not the one that sucks souls out of bodies?"

"Enough, all of you! Who cares how she helped the dwarves, as long as it can get us through? We have bigger problems than who did what in the past."

"You will retract your statement human...or I'll have the personal pleasure of bathing this floor in your blood."

He sighed to himself, rubbed his head, and turned around, gazing at the rushing river water. In the distance, he say Paryer burning. If he looked closer, he saw a cloaked Purge assassin - staring at him - and then swiftly running back toward the city.

City of Paryer

Athaso Yahaz sprinted as fast as he could away from the river. He couldn't risk being spotted by them, even though the odds were in the Purge's favor. He counted at least five of the heavily armed inhabitants of the Drunkard's Haven occupying the ferry. Clearing his head, he scaled up one of Paryer's walls, using his legs to propel him forward. When he reached the top, he landed with a thud. The guard had no time to react, as he already holstered his crossbow and fired an arrow right between the eyes.

He ran forward, not bothering to reclaim the arrow. He saw another guard, and he unsheathed his stiletto. In a quick movement, he drove the tip of the blade into the back of the guard's neck, between critical points C3 and C5. This fractured his spinal cord, killing him almost instantly.

He hopped down onto the cool grass. Sheathing his stiletto, he pulled out a vial of the highly explosive red phosphorus. He dabbed some of the powder onto the tip of his bow. He put the vial away, held out the crossbow, and pulled the trigger. The potential energy of the arrow flying through the air caused a chemical reaction inside of the red phosphorus, causing it to explode once it reached contact with a human civilian. It blew off a chunk of the man's arm, and he writhed on the ground - screaming.

Uradus Therayn LOVED being a distraction during a battle. It provided more slaughter for him, which was his enjoyment. He spun his chained meat hook in a full 360 degree spin, and then threw it in an overhead arc toward a guard. The tip of the hook tore through the guard's armor and flesh, and it rested in the notch between the collarbone and the neck. Due to the chain's length, it was relatively easy to swing a man with moderate effort. He pulled, and swung the chain, with the man screaming as he spun through the air. He made a sudden pull to his left, and the guard's body smashed into a concrete side of a building.

Parts of the limp corpse were crushed during the impact, and others flew completely off. He pulled the chain to his right, and the torso of the body flew into three other guards. He then pulled the chain backwards, into the air, and then slammed it down, causing an impact that killed one of the guards on contact. The other two ran in terror, but they were easily slain by other Purge soldiers. He laughed to himself as he walked forward, glee in his eyes as he saw his next victim.

Fa'ask Haek burst into the Drunkard's Tavern, blade drawn. Luckily, Athaso was entering in the opposite entrance - blocking off the civilians' only other escape route. Athaso dabbed beryllium onto the tip of his bow, and he released. The bow shot strait into the jugular of a frantic patron, and he collapsed onto the floor, dead. Fa'ask impaled his blade into one of the other patrons, and then used the body as a shield - from a rifleman who just-so-happened to be inside the tavern.

The only bad thing about rifles, was that even though they were more accurate and dangerous than a crossbow, they took forever to reload. The bullet went into the patron's limp corpse, and Fa'ask kicked the corpse forward into the rifleman. It was at this point that a window was sheared, with Uradus walking inside - gleefully. He threw the hook downwards, catching the rifleman by the ankle. He pulled, and the hook cut into the fleshy area between the joint and the main bone. He fell onto the ground, and Athaso fired a crossbow arrow into the man's neck.

Fa'ask delivered an overhead chop to a patron, moving diagonally, which cut the man in two. He moved the blade in a circle at two patrons, and then he threw it at another patron - much like a javelin. At this point, only four patrons remained. One of them threw his beer bottle at Athaso, who simply ducked and fired an arrow into the man's liver. He then unsheathed his stiletto, and sliced the man's neck. Uradus moved his hooked chain in a horizontal sweep, decapitating two of the patrons.

The last remaining patron was on his knees, begging for life. He even offered to help the Purge. Fa'ask simply looked at him, and spit on the ground.

"It's humans like you that make me sick. The world will be a better place without your wandering, cowardly filth.", he said, sourly.

As if on cue, Athaso fired an arrow into the man's skull, puncturing the brain and killing him instantly.

"The Tavern is cleared. Burn it.", said Fa'ask.

Athaso dabbed red phosphorus onto the tip of his arrow, and shot it into a fuel tank near the drink dispensers. It created an explosion, which created an inferno at the bar. The three walked outside, and turned around, watching the Tavern get engulfed in flames.

Meara's eyes grew wide. "Retracted!", she shrieked while staring at the weapon with which Vakarr was threatening to strike her. "I didn't mean..."

"I think you did," Per'dra replied softly, "and I think you owe our fellow traveler an apology. I don't mean to sound preachy, but the Dark Elf is right--we must work together, no matter what our races or abilities, if we're going to stay ahead of the Purge." She coughed and held her nose. "I can smell Paryer from here..." Trying not to burst into tears, she concentrated on the river ahead.

"Dear gods! I'm sorry," Meara said slowly, "for everything. Meaning that if I hadn't passed out cold on that filthy floor back at the Drunkard's Haven, I might have protected ye. Please forgive me," she said and lowered her eyes.

The smallest grin made its way to Vakarr's face as Maera shrieked in fear. For a few seconds he thought about how easy it would be to strike her down. However he sheathed his weapon and began rowing once more to help keep the ferry moving. He did give a quick glance to Per'dra.

"I'll play by your rules for now," he told her.

He wouldn't call it respect, nor would he call it trust. Per'dra did have some special quality about her though. She certainly seemed different from the other humans he had seen. She actually was going to respect his request at the bar, had defended Emi, then ran with Emi and the tall being instead of taking two of her own kind.

The Bard glanced at Vakarr, because she did not have the strength to look him straight in the eye. Frankly, she was afraid of him, and his threat against Meara had only increased her feelings of intimidation. Thus, "My thanks" were all Per'dra could give at the moment. All other bets were off. Who were her companions, truly, underneath their various garbs and guises? She didn't believe that any of them would betray and kill her, as they were all keen to escape the Purge. What of V'toryv, however? What if the call of the sacred blood of the Great Wyrm was stronger than the calls of honor and loyalty? She herself had said that the blood of her slain children was what gave the members of the Purge their power! If V'toryv were killed and claimed...

Fear not, human child. You shall know what to do when the time is right.

I certainly hope so, Per'dra thought, but can we really save you?

You must try. If you do not, then all is lost before the battle starts!

Battle?

Oleg the ferryman startled her out of her reverie and contact with the Wyrm:

"Lass? Lass!" Per'dra's head whirled around. "I suggest ye sleep now, along with all you other riders on my ferry. Don't fret about me: I can go without slumbering for a full seventy-two hours. My heart is strong, and my frame is stronger! We'll be halfway to Borthar'nal before you even know it. There are three sections of the river, and three trials, that we'll have to pass before we even reach the mountainous entrance to the Dwarven capital, but those can wait. Lay your heads down, and leave all the rowing to me. Aye?"

"Agreed," Per'dra replied slowly, her voice slurring with exhaustion. Looking pointedly at the others, she announced: "This mission, this fatal calling, is ours whether we want it or not. 'Tis for all of Sazhen that we'll answer it!"

Unconsciously nestling her head against Emi's shoulder, Per'dra slept deeply.

In the darkness and stench of the midnight hour, an assassin's arrow found its way through forest, brush and leaves, through air, and through Oleg's muscled neck...

In the morning, the Bard woke with a piercing shriek. The ferryman was dead.

PART TWO: THE THREE TRIALS

Per'dra, her eyes wide, shook the ferryman's body frantically. "Oleg? Oleg!" He lay cold as ice, and just as rigid. There were two holes in his neck, made by the arrow which had plunged into the Auris River. Oleg had bled out during the night, whilst everyone else was asleep, and now all of them were utterly lost. Her leather armor stickily red, the Bard clutched her stomach and retched.

When her stomach had finally rid itself of all its contents, she shut her eyes.

((Sorry for the long wait, still busy.))

"Oleg? Oleg!"

Valron's eyes snapped open when he heard the woman shout and he quickly got to his feet. The ferryman was dead and whoever had killed him was an excellent shot, he hadn't heard any sounds that might have signled distress on Oleg's part.

"This will not go unanswered." He growled under his breath as he continued to look at the body. This man had helped them escape the purge and this was his reward? He had done nothing to deserve this.

He turned to look at Per'dra and sighed. He had seen quite a bit of death recently and it was only adding to his hatred of the purge. "We should pay our respects to him as soon as we reach land. And I promise you, if we do find his killer, I will let you deliever the killing strike."

He knew that he sounded strange but it was his best way of offering comfort. And he meant what he had said.

City of Paryer

After the Tavern burned to the ground, Ha'ask and Uradus walked into separate districts to continue the slaughter. Then, something hit Athaso as if he was struck by iron. The ferry! He distinctively remembered that the ferry held some of the runaways of the Tavern, and he realized the threat that they posed. Sprinting as fast as he can, he jumped from the city walls into a tree, and used his parkour abilities to try to catch another glimpse of the ferry.

Attaching a scope, he saw the ferry. It was impossible to kill them all, but it appeared that they were sleeping. Almost all - except for the ferryman. The best way to slow them down would be to kill the ferryman, as the others would be put into fright, as they probably don't know how to pilot the ferry. He pulled out his vial of liquid mercury, and he was extremely careful, attaching it to the tip of his bow slowly. He took aim, and fired. He saw it hit its mark; the arrow pierced the man's carotid artery, and the mercury entered his bloodstream. As it reached his heart, the man stopped breathing, and slumped over, dead. He looked over and saw Tael. He remembered how Fa'ask had a grudge with Tael, so he decided to kill him as well. However, the ferry was even more farther away, making the shot harder, and he was rushing it - forgetting to put the mercury on the bow. He fired, and it pierced his armor, resting directly below the left lung. Satisfied, he jumped back onto the wall, and continued the long, slow process of burning down an entire city.

Ferry

Tael was knocked out, and even as the arrow pierced his flesh, it did little to stir him from his stupor. After everything settled down earlier, he found himself drift into a long, enjoyable nap. He awoke, and heard screaming. He then felt a sudden pain in his chest. He looked down, and to his horror, he saw an arrow through his chest. It rested directly below his left lung, and he could feel his diaphragm brush up against the arrow with each breath he took. He pulled on the arrow, and he ripped it out. Blood began to flow from the wound. It wasn't severe, but it gave him great pain. He pulled off the armor plates on his chest, and he saw blood around the wound over his under shirt. He clasped his hands over the wound - wincing. He didn't want the others to worry. He looked over, his eyes widening in shock.

"Oh my Gods.", Tael gasped, seeing the ferryman and a pool of blood.

The others were probably looking at him and his wound, but he didn't acknowledge them. Instead, he paid his final respects.

"Rest in Peace, Oleg. Find your Gods, find Paradise, and be free from this wicked world.", he said, moving his left hand to close Oleg's eyes. He then made a gesture with his hands, and closed his eyes, obviously praying. He looked down, and saw more blood escape his wound. He promptly moved his hands back over the wound, still kneeling over Oleg's corpse.

Emi had simply shut out the barmaid's comments, she was too busy keeping her rhythm to help Oleg steer, until he spoke up and told them to sleep. She did not fancy this idea, usually in her dreams, the souls she had absorbed began talking again, becoming a nightmare.

But before anyone did anything else, she felt Per'dra fall asleep on her shoulder. Emi's lips curled into a small earnest smile. She then closed her eyes as everyone else rested.

Deep in dreams she suddenly felt cold, a new image forming itself on her subconscious. It was the ferryman.

"But... how... you're...", Emi stopped herself and at that moment sharply opened her eyes to see the dead ferryman. She had absorbed his soul while asleep. He told her he had no way of knowing who killed him and before he could say, she could see the arrow.

"He... could not tell... where the arrow came from...", she simply said, not saying that she absorbed his soul, it was evident by her words.

Vakarr said nothing as he found a place to rest. He went far away from the others as he needed to remove his armor, and for certain trusting issues. He had not forgotten Per'dra's response to him. He could almost taste the fear coming off her. It made sense though, as he did threaten to butcher her friend there on the spot. He might have actually done it too. He shook his head and soon fell asleep.

Vakarr found himself looking over a city. They city was filled with chaos and destruction. Bodies filled the streets, and fire covered the homes. He marched through the city, proud of the chaos caused. He was one step closer to taking over this land. As he moved he heard this crying sound, a woman's voice. He slowly walked into the room and saw a woman on the verge of death. Vakarr slowly walked over to her only to stop a few feet from her. She turned and looked at him...it was his mother...

The sound of someone screaming woke Vakarr up from his confusing dream. He put his armor on and made his way towards the others. When he arrived he noticed Oleg, motionless on the floor. It seemed the others were crushed...but what about him? He barely knew the man, and couldn't really be bothered to care about this event.

It wasn't entirely because Oleg was human. It was because they had only known him for a short while. Had it been some of the others in Oleg's place his reaction would have been the same. He made a small note to get his coin back, making sure he'd do that when the others weren't looking. His main concern was getting them back on the right track.

"The ferryman's dead, and his journey is over. Ours is still going...unless we keep wasting our time with this. We need to figure out where we are, and then get moving again," Vakarr said, not really caring if he didn't sound respectful or not.

Per'dra wanted to cry out, to roar like a wounded mountain lion, but she dared not do so in front of the others. Someone needed to be strong in the midst of this sudden crisis, and it might as well be her. After all, indirectly, she was the one who had gotten the others into this mess! Purge or no Purge, the Bard had been summoned by V'toryv, and it was for this reason they were sailing down the Auris River instead of one of the other Seven Snakes of the Riault.

That reminded her of something: "Wait! We need to check Oleg's lantern," she exclaimed. "If its flame still glows golden, then we're still on the Auris." Gazing down at the dead ferryman, she whispered, "Rest in peace, Oleg. You've gotten us this far, and it's up to us to continue the journey now. Thank you for helping us escape the Purge, and may you find solace in the afterlife." Finishing her speech--and ignoring Vakarr and his comment--she lay her hand over Oleg's lifeless heart, bowed her head, and then raised his lantern:

"Oh, no!" The flame, which had once been the color of lemons, was now blue-black. "We've gone off course, and are now on the Cherna!" If Oleg would have been alive, he would have foreseen the treacherous part of the Auris called the Intertwining of the Snakes. It was highly difficult to navigate, and local folklore said that the gods had done this in order to encourage harmony among the races of Sazhen'. The Intertwining of the Snakes was a popular meeting (and mating) place in early fall. However, it was not that time of year. Thus, that part of the Auris flowed silently on, resting in preparation for the vast number of people that would journey there to find their life mate.

Oleg would have known how to traverse the rapids, avoid shallow water, and find the Auris again. Since he was dead, however, he missed that chance...

Per'dra thought she heard someone on the ferry mutter a word that started with S-H and end with T, but she wasn't sure. Shaking her head, she said:

"The Dark Elves hate all other races. If the Dwarves are isolationists, then the Dark Elves are conquerors! However, they make their plans in secret. I hear that they torture prisoners, so we'll have to be careful while we're lost..."

Vakarr watched Per'dra give her little speech to Oleg. It was clear she didn't seem to to hear what he had just said...or she feared challenging him on the matter. After giving her speech, he watched as she checked the lantern. He slowly took in the information that they were on a different path. Cherna...the Dark Elves.

Vakarr perked up at this realization. Dark Elves were certainly better than dwarves in his mind. That wasn't to say he hated dwarves though. He had no quarrel with dwarves, but no real concern for them either. Since his mother was a dark elf, he had more of an appreciation for elven kind.

Vakarr got a little insulted by Per'dra's accusations. However he wasn't too hotheaded to act upon them. He only knew his mother, who was kind to him. So what she was saying might be true...might be. Besides there was nothing wrong with being a conqueror. He turned to look at Per'dra.

"Then we are fortunate to have a dark elf amongst our group. I believe we should stay on the path of the dark elves...unless you wish to turn back and attempt to navigate back on the path of the dwarves," Vakarr said to her.

"It is highly dangerous for humans such as myself to traverse the Cherna," Per'dra replied, "but with your help, we might be able to find someone who will help us get back on course. It is V'toryv who spoke to me and told me to seek out the Dwarves. I do not want to distrust her direction this soon, or this completely."

Emi looked up at Per'dra and Vakarr. Reluctant to speak but she had to, there was no time for hesitation.

"W-We could always... just... travel on foot from their realm", Emi said looking back as she heard the faintest "Hurry up the pace", she could tell it was Oleg's voice.

"Hurry up... we must... the ones who killed Oleg... may be after us too", Emi said as there wasn't any indication that would make anyone certain that they were or weren't being followed, but just in case, she had to put it out for consideration.

"A human such as yourself might actually stand a chance," Vakarr told Per'dra.

Vakarr went back to using the oar to row again. He still felt this task was beneath him, but he was capable at it none the less. Vakarr turned to listen to Emi once she spoke up and nodded his head in agreement with her suggestion. The second time he spoke, he quickened the speed at which he was rowing. He didn't do this because he feared the attacker. No, he wanted to be sure that if they were being followed then he would be ready for a fight. They were all stuck on this boat however and pretty much made easy targets.

"I have no problem speaking with the Dark Elves and asking for them for directions. If this V'toryv has gotten us this far, than it only makes sense to continue on the selected path."

Vakarr was not one to believe in fate. He wasn't a man who felt he had no control over his life. He believed he could do as he wanted, because he wanted to...not because a higher power told him to. In this case though it seemed he had to trust this V'toryv...for now at least. Vakarr sighed at this and looked over at Emi.

"If you wish to break, I have no problem taking another oar" he offered.

[We're entering the forest on foot so Writer's spy can meet up with us...]

After a few more minutes of rowing, with Vakarr at the oar, Per'dra spotted an embankment that looked safe to climb. "If our attackers are still looking for us," she explained, "then perhaps it would be best if we hide in the forest and look for someone who knows this territory more closely." Suddenly, she had an idea. "In fact, if we turn this ferry into a funeral pyre for Oleg, the one who first manned it, that might throw our pursuers off course and make them think we're dead! I hate to sound grotesque and morbid, but the stench of burning flesh might convince them..." After seeing nods in the dimness from several of her fellow passengers, Per'dra and her companions steered toward the slope.

Once all of them had clambered off the raft and stood on level ground, the Bard took Oleg's enchanted lantern, opened it, and lit one of the log oars. Tossing it on top of the ferry's planks, she gave a mighty push and sent it sloshing into the blue-black waters of the Cherna River: the Seventh Snake. She and the others watched the swift current engulf the ferry as it burned, tendrils of fire curling and then roaring around Oleg's body. "Rest in peace," she said again, and then rejoined the others. She would have sung a dirge, but who knew how much time they had before the Purge--or its spies--discovered them once more? Thus, she signaled for everyone to move out.

With Oleg's lantern in hand, and her two short swords sheathed at her sides, Per'dra had taken the lead. However, someone soon strode up beside her...

"In fact, if we turn this ferry into a funeral pyre for Oleg, the one who first manned it, that might throw our pursuers off course and make them think we're dead! I hate to sound grotesque and morbid, but the stench of burning flesh might convince them..."

Tael looked over to her, and then looked at himself. Putting his armor plates back on, he noticed that his wound was still bleeding. Need medical supplies., he thought. However, he saw most of the others off of the ferry, and he knew that there wasn't enough time for him to rummage around the cargo looking for medical supplies. He winced to himself, as he clambered off of the raft, watching as Per'dra burned the raft and sent it downstream.

He began to feel dizzy, and he knew that becoming unconscious would be fatal. Despite the injury not being life-threatening at the moment, it could gradually become a serious problem within 10-20 minutes, even before shock sets in. He strode next to Per'dra.

"Do you happen to have any medical supplies with you?", he sputtered, his breathing becoming abnormal. Unbeknownst to him, when he pulled the arrow out of his chest, part of the arrow tip tore into his left lung. Not a severe tear, but a tear nonetheless.

As Tael spoke, the group's path took them near a small fire. At first glance, it looked untended. A closer look proved it was not; a woman with youthful features knelt by its side, her long brown hair braided and dangling over her left shoulder, her gloved hands folded in her lap, her eyes closed. She was dressed entirely in black, her face the only skin left uncovered. She had weapons too, and though they were set aside, they were still easily within her reach.

"Bring your injured man to the fire," she said slowly, her eyes still closed. "You might better tend to him in the warmth it provides."

Per'dra did so, guiding Tael toward the warm blaze and the campsite. Inspecting his wound, she cried, "Oh, gods!" In her line of work spinning tales, and even fighting duels, she'd never been so alarmed at the sight of blood. Of course, whenever she'd been hurt in the past, she'd been safe back in Paryer and in easy reach of bandages and salves. Now, however, she was out in the middle of a forsaken forest on the Cherna River...

"Oh, come on, don't fret," the barmaid Meara interjected. "This tear is bad, but it's not the worst I've seen. Drunken idiots have suffered more than this, and you're no drunken idiot." Without another word, she ripped a strip of cloth off of the long sleeve of her dress and began to tend to Tael's wound. Her friend lent a hand, although she was rather inexperienced as a medic. Still, dueling had forced her to learn the basics of first aid.

Once the group had more or less settled around her fire, the woman opened her eyes and watched each member in turn for a few moments. When at last her gaze landed on Per'dra, who was kneeling between Tael and the woman herself, she watched in silence, curiosity sparkling in her violet eyes. As soon as Meara and Per'dra finished with Tael, the woman spoke, rather faster than she had when they first encountered her with her eyes closed.

"Scuffles?" she asked. "Arrow shot. You're all worn. Seen a loss recently. It shows. Your eyes, they ache. Hmm..." She pointed at Per'dra. "You. You seem to lead? What brings you so far off the beaten path?"

Archived