Home

KOTOR II transparent textures

About4Ninjas

I love the kotor series i have both games, kotor I works perfectly fine and kotor 2 i never have lag, or anyproblems, except transparent lightsaber hilts, all swords, most droids and doors and some npc's. i would love to know how to fix it, cause its really annoying lol

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron N5010

BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/09/10 15:17:22 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 3072MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2934MB RAM

Page File: 1599MB used, 4267MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

I need to see how the game is interacting with your hardware. Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and right-click on it. Select "properties", then "compatibility" and check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=2/10/2012 1:51:09 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=Win9x

Version=Windows 9X v6.1 build 7600

Service Pack=None

Status=Fail

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2527

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=5

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=220.62GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1366x768x32

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel® HD Graphics

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=1024

Height=768

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=1

Brightness=57

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

You have patched your game, which is good!

You need to do the Dantooine Lag Fix....

In swkotor2.ini, go in the "Graphics Options" section and add the line:

"Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1".

If you are unable to "do" this, in that you cannot "write" to your .ini, you may need to reinstall the game according to the instructions in this post by Q.

While it could be your intel processor I mixed up processors with graphics cards. If you have an intel graphics card it will cause these problems. If you have an amd or nvidia graphics card and are still experiencing these problems than it could be the processor. All I know for sure is that kotor 2 doesn't like intel.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This topic is designed to help you cope with transparency issues in certain droids, armors, as well as weapons in KotOR:TSL.

The flaw is inherent in most laptop user’s gamplay, this is due to a insufficient VIDEO GRAPHICS CARD installed in the hardrive. This means that anything that is shiny or has a reflective surface will become clear and you will see right through them. Depending on how reflective the object is will determine how much of their actual form you will see, in short...

1_zps836506e3.jpg

On Laptops: more reflective = less solid.

Other problems associated with the flaw are that you will not be able to see holograms or transmission in their regular translucent blue form; they will be solid and colored. Also, you will not be able to see active shields or the burst of speed effect, although they will be active, you will only see if they are working by the cyan arrows on your characters’ portraits. Another major drawback is you will never see from a camera / droid’s point of view (they are usually a hazy blue or red). The force sight ability will be also lost to you, meaning you will not be able to see a non playable character’s alignment (a shaded background with a bad red character, a good blue character, or a white neutral character).

Unfortunately, if you have this dilemma you cannot upgrade your card because it is built into your particular model, and while you can change the card, it is highly recommended you do not, because you will need to take apart the laptop and remove the mother board in order to do so. You can also just buy a gaming laptop or a PC tower with the proper card installed, but chances are slim you want to spend that kind of money if only for this one game.

This is a modder’s tip on how to inexpensively reduce the transparency issues only.

6_zpsb5f03eb9.jpg

I have chosen an HK-50 using a DC-15A Rifle mod as an example.

If you have downloaded the ultimate appearance or just a particular reflective weapon mod, this will be much simpler, seeing as how I won’t go into how to extract the models, you’ll have to figure that out on your own.

To edit the appearance you will need the GIMP painting program.

NOTE: I must stress than you make duplicates of the files you plan to make changes to, in case you wish to undo the alterations.

7_zps047578d0.jpg

8_zpsae9b7b0e.jpg

Once you have downloaded the GIMP program, go into the object’s destination folder and locate their .TGA file, it’s a good possibility that it will be easy to find, with the characters name in the title.

9_zps5635e9a3.jpg

After you have opened the .TGA, you will see the object’s skin on a flat 2d surface. From here, all you need to do is to click on the LAYERS tab on the top of the screen, and then again on the TRANSPARENCY tab, you must then select REMOVE ALPHA CHANNEL.

10_zps3c5bf60a.jpg

This takes the checkerboard surface off the skin.

11_zps0797b071.jpg

Save the .TGA in the folder among the files it was originally found with.

12_zps1af2669a.jpg

13_zpsaad2ef73.jpg

Enter your edited file, along with any other modifications you wish to go with the skin, into the OVERRIDE folder located within your KotOR:TSL destination folder, or just create one if not already there.

NOTE: Please make sure your game is not active while doing this, as this may corrupt the system in unforeseen consequences.

The scheme of the color and texture may seem unrealistic, even downgraded compared to other objects, but this is only in some cases, and most of the time the object will in fact look solid and well blended to the rest of the scene.

The weapon and facial processes are exactly the same as the armor alterations, as I have already done the same steps with the rifle HK-50 is holding.

14_zpsdb791b08.jpg

Check your gameplay to view the results.

Congratulations, you now have a solid character / weapon / armor for your laptop’s KotOR:TSL gameplay.

Archived