Double Fine Adventure!

Valkian

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Ron Gilbert said that.

He said :

- Lucas would barely start negociation with 10 M

- They are not worth that price, it's just that George doesn't need money and doesn't like to sell anything

- Licensing the games is not a solution because according to Ron, they could never do what they have in mind and would have to follow way too many rules

So yeah, pretty much doomed. But if the DFA is great, maybe we'll have a new licence to expect sequels from ah ah.

notch has confirmed psychonauts 2 isn't real. he said he was joking. :confused:

source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/psychonauts-2-pledge-made-semi-jokingly-minecraft-creator-6350572

That story has been around for a few days, and that's not really what it says at all. All he's saying is that they're just talking right now, nothing has been agreed and it may very well not happen.

quote: Finally, Persson said he wishes the Internet would "stop hyping over this."

quote: however, Persson cautioned fans that the project is far from a reality, and his original offer was made "semi-jokingly."

that what it says in the gamespot.

quote: Finally, Persson said he wishes the Internet would "stop hyping over this."

quote: however, Persson cautioned fans that the project is far from a reality, and his original offer was made "semi-jokingly."

that what it says in the gamespot.

Yes. SEMI-jokingly. As in, it was a casual Tweet, he didn't really expect it to explode in the way it did, but he wasn't entirely joking. And he wishes the internet would stop hyping it because nothing has been agreed yet. Nowhere does he say that it isn't happening, and in fact he confirms that they will be talking about it some more.

Ugh. That is a completely BS article. Its only source is a blogpost. If you want to know what notch REALLY thinks, then read the actual blogpost: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype

Why this is being discussed in the Double Fine Adventure thread, I don't know. Gos, please open a new thread next time. This isn't the "Double Fine" thread, it's the "Double Fine Adventure" thread.

In on-topic news: It looks like $2 million is going to happen!

It will be free for the fans who backed. Others have to pay OF COURSE.

No gameplay video, they will create the game "in real time" and show everything from A to Z.

The good thing is that they've stated on the double fine forums that they want to try to keep the documentary as spoiler free as they can make it while still being able to show stuff, they want it so people can enjoy the documentary and still not know everything about the game. But yes, they won't start making the game at ALL until the official project start.

That's good to know. I guess Lucas got seriously burned when he was forced to sell Pixar to Steve Jobs for next to nothing.

Since this is a topic that I love (Pixar), I feel compelled to make an off topic. Feel free to skip the following rant:

<off topic>

Back then Pixar was just a computer division, Lucas wasn't forced to sell it, he wanted to, the division was put together to develop audio and video non-linear editing systems (which became the foundation for Avid), and it had accomplished that mission. At that point it had only one animator (John Lasseter) and they had made only one short (The Adventures of André and Wally B.). Even though George was aware that the group wanted to make the first computer animated movie, it was both hard to see it at that point (when they only had one clunky short) and it was a very expensive thing to finance. He was going through a costly divorce and didn't want to have unnecessary divisions around. (It's interesting though that ILM ended up making a fully animated picture, Rango. It all comes full circle.)

Steve Jobs financed Pixar through several years in which it was losing a million dollars each year. Not many people would make that kind of investment.

</off topic>

And that talk about licences and IP, it's not a crazy thing that Lucas does, no big company in the world would sell intellectual property. It's the Disney way, to lock IP in a dark dungeon forever.

But yes, they won't start making the game at ALL until the official project start.

Surely they can do some pre-production on it, brainstorm ideas, do some writing. I really doubt they begin this documentary completely empty handed.

Valkian, Lucas sold the company for far less than he wanted to. And why would Lucas sell anything off that he didn't NEED to. He didn't build the company in order to sell it, Lucas was forced to sell it due to financial considerations -- and he sold it for far less than he wanted to... because he had no choice.

There's a great article about it here: http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/pixar-story-lucas-disney.html

Sure, it wasn't great business for him to sell it for that amount, but he had no real interest in the division either (it made no money at that point, and had to be financed). Yet you were implying that the division would have become the Pixar we know under Lucas as well and that he was forced to sell something potentially huge, but that's not the case. Steve Jobs had a big role in creating Pixar.

Also, it wouldn't be the last time Lucas sold parts of his company, he eventually sold the software made by that computer division, EditDroid and SoundDroid, he also sold THX. But no one sells IP unless they are desperate, or selling a company and their IP as part of it (for instance, Disney buying Marvel not too long ago).

It's pretty clear that Lucas wouldn't have sold Pixar if a) income from Star Wars hadn't dried up, b) he wasn't going through a divorce, and c) Howard the Duck wasn't a massive bomb. He certainly wouldn't have sold it for 5% what he thought it was worth. Whether Lucas would have let it become what's its become today isn't relevant (knowing what we know about the man today, he probably would have just churned out more Star Wars stuff).

Also, THX wasn't sold, it was spun off into an independent company. And EditDroid and SoundDroid were only reworked and sold when Lucas shut down The Droid Works in 1986... the same year he sold Pixar.

Huh, I always thought THX had been sold, curious.

And I've heard Lucas himself several times say that he had no use for that division anymore. His circumstances may have encouraged him to agree on a quick unprofitable sell, otherwise he might have taken the time to just sell it at a better price.

ANYWAY, adventure game...

Surely they can do some pre-production on it, brainstorm ideas, do some writing. I really doubt they begin this documentary completely empty handed.

Nope. It's been said repeatedly, Tim has a few ideas knocking around (which is bound to be true. If you spend any amount of time making games, you'll be familiar with the feeling of having more ideas than you know what to do with), but they aren't talking about them until the cameras are rolling. I've seen Tim Schafer say this several times on Twitter and interviews, and Greg Rice in another interview so... doubt all you like!

SurplusGamer: it doesn't hold that they won't start filming until the official project start though (when the funding deadline has passed) though they might wait until then to start releasing stuff. I can't imagine that they're sitting on their arses at the moment when it's obvious they've passed the funding requirement.

Yeah, I thought they might start before the thing finishes, and surely they have more than "a few ideas", by the excitement this has generated, I bet they have a lot of them by now. But it'll certainly be great to see the process from the very beginning.

Speaking of bets, what do you think will be the final sum of money collected?

Archived