Home

Double Fine Adventure!

Valkian

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SurplusGamer: it doesn't hold that they won't start filming until the official project start though (when the funding deadline has passed) though they might wait until then to start releasing stuff. I can't imagine that they're sitting on their arses at the moment when it's obvious they've passed the funding requirement.

They still don't know exactly what funding they'll have to play with by the end of 22 days, and stuff like that can absolutely have an effect on exactly what sort of story they want to tell. Maybe if it ends up closer to 2 million, for example, they'd be more comfortable telling a story spread across fewer characters and locations, but if it's nearer 3 million they might decide to go for a more wide ranging, ambitious idea that Tim has. Difficult to say, but the funding still matters at that stage, and I -do- think they need to be aware of how much money they're playing with before they can start making major decisions. And I know in the 'real world' they have an idea and they pitch it to publishers and it then gets funded. But they also probably have a good idea of how much money they need to make the game, when they enter those negotiations.

Also, they're not sitting on their arses. I was just listening to an interview with Greg Rice who said that they're currently looking at a few different engines that they're thinking about using, to determine stuff like portability, and how easy it would be to make a game like they want to make using them and so on. There's a lot of prep work that they can be doing before they sit down to talk about plot. Besides, this isn't the only project Double Fine have, perhaps some of the team are still working on other things!

Hmm. Originally a 1/4% of the amount raised was going to fund the documentary... I hope that's not the case now. Give them $200K, tops, if they think they can use it, but $500K seems too much... They have complete access to everything they need to film. What's the extra money going to bring them... Opening credits by Industrial Light and Magic? No thanks!

A bigger marketing budget for the documentary? That will bring DF more exposure, and hopefully bigger sales across their portfolio, present and future.

I hope the documentary doesn't get overfunded too, but there are more things to do with the budget than use 3D cameras and 5.1 surround audio. :p

Hmm. Originally a 1/4% of the amount raised was going to fund the documentary... I hope that's not the case now. Give them $200K, tops, if they think they can use it, but $500K seems too much... They have complete access to everything they need to film. What's the extra money going to bring them... Opening credits by Industrial Light and Magic? No thanks!

I think it's pretty unlikely that the funding will increase for the documentary at the same rate. That would be silly. But yes, it will increase a bit, if only because the crew will have to be engaged for longer now it looks like the project will go on for a bit of a longer time (which has already been pretty much confirmed in the FAQ)

There are so many things in the development of a game that cost money, just on the audible side of things: they have to pay for sound design, for casting, recording studio time, the actors, the voice director, the music composer (musicians and more recording studio time, if it is required).

Even simple things like textures, cost money, if they are using a commercial engine for the game, they have to pay the license fee. They have to pay for the unnecessary butler they'll hire just because they can. So many things.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sure you have a very good reason for not sending $15 to the project, but the thing they keep asking is that we don't share the content that people have PAID for.

So I can just tell you that it's basically a video saying Thanks to you all the backers. Not much more than that.

yeah, to be honest i don't have anything to pay online with. :(

• 3 weeks later...
...did i say i want to play the game now? i said i need to see new updates

Non-backers won't be able to see new updates. There's a backers forum now, which is where everything on the project will be discussed.

Archived