Home

Rumor: Rumor: Star Wars: Battlefront III in Development at Spark Unlimited

TripHammer

StarWarsBattlefrontIII_feature.jpg

Rumor: Star Wars: Battlefront III in Development at Spark Unlimited, Coming This Year

02/06/2012 Written by Sebastian Moss

It’s been over six years since the release of the critically acclaimed Star Wars: Battlefront II, but eager gamers still haven’t seen a third game in the series. Luckily, we’ve uncovered new information that points towards the current developer of the game, and when it will release.

Developer Spark Unlimited were previously rumored to be working on Battlefront III – but at the time there was virtually no evidence to back up the assertion. All people had to go on was the fact that the developer’s Twitter wouldn’t deny (or confirm) that it was their project, and the fact that their site said “We are in production on an unannounced high-profile, popular game sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release.”

Now, however, new info seems to back up the original rumor with a lot more evidence. A job listing states (emphasis added):

• Spark is looking for a senior combat designer for a 3rd Person Action/Adventure sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise currently greenlit for full production development for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC markets.

Of course, the Call of Duty: Finest Hour developer could be working on a different science fiction franchise – not that there are that many that aren’t already signed to a developer. But then there’s the LinkedIn profile for John Lawrie, who used to be Senior Software Engineer for Spark Unlimited, which lists under his work for the developer:

• Unannounced third person sword fighting game (well known IP, Xbox 360, PS3)

And what is the most famous sci-fi sword? The lightsaber of course. And before you wonder, another developer’s LinkedIn confirms it is a shooter as well:

• I have been working for three years in a AAA third person shooter using Unreal Engine and Kynapse AI middleware.

It’s pretty hard to think of any other high profile sci-fi franchises that have already been games, are third person, and involve shooting and swordplay – so this all suggests BFIII. But there have been some suggestions that Spark Unlimited is working on a Star Wars game that isn’t a sequel – something that seems unlikely when you look at a recent tweet from the developer (emphasis added):

• Since we are working on a sequel for a well known sci-fi franchise, all aspects must remain secret.

With all these signs pointing towards Battlefront III, you probably want to know when you can get your hands on the game. According to the current Senior Engineer at Spark Unlimited’s LinkedIn:

• Currently – New unannounced project! (~2012 release)

This is all still a rumor, so bear in mind that nothing has been confirmed, but would you like to see Battlefront III on current-gen consoles later this year? Share your thoughts in the comments below, on our forums, or leave us a video reply on YouTube.

PSL Source

More news on the rumor front... things are starting to get interesting.

I think it would be a great thing if they made another battlefront game. If they do, then they should make sure that classic lightsaber battles from the movies are included. Battlefront II had the characters and the maps but somehow missed this very important point. The game could also have benefitted from a more balanced stats system. It was too easy to make general and the unlocks got a bit weird. Having red or green mist emanating from your character is a bit odd. The space battles should have been like X-Wing and TIE Fighter and not some arcade game. All this being said the game was still very well done and was fun to play. I liked it better than Empire at War as it really did emerse me in the star wars universe.

I disliked the space battles and avoided them. I love Star Wars Battlefront I and only like the addition of Jedi/Sith and a few bounter hunters in II. It just seems all the maps in I and II were too small. What was with the blocks just sitting on the floor in the maps? I think the Death Star map in II had them!

Stick to ground battles and I think it would do fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like they found their employees, because sources from Spark report that the game is past the Alpha testing, and they have a playable build. :D

Also, in the Spark Unlimited website, I found this under: "Current Projects-in production"

We are in FULL PRODUCTION of a high-profile, popular game property for a major publishing partner. With the public disclosure expected sometime in 2012, we are looking for innovative and creative professionals to bring to life a Triple-A game for an awaiting, highly critical audience. Employing agile techniques (SCRUM) we are developing this product utilizing our experiences with the Unreal engine.

I want you to pay attention to the "Triple-A". They are giving us hints! :xp:

• 3 weeks later...

Sam Witwer was asked last week if The Force Unleashed 3 is in production. He said it wasn't. I just read it off an article somewhere on the internet. We are pretty sure it won't be that. If Spark Unlimited is making a Lucasarts game and it is Star Wars. By the descriptions I have seen for jobs and news I have seen the last year it is either Star Wars Battlefront 3 or another Jedi Knight game. Republic Commando 2 doesn't seem to fit what has come out.

Star Wars Battlefront III is the best guess! I hope it doesn't turn out to be something non-star wars. That was stink! Star Wars Battlefront I and II were the two best selling star wars games. Why stop at two? I don't count elite squadron and renegade squadron for handheld or the star wars battlefront for cell phones.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't say the door is closed on Spark just yet...

http://swbf3stats.com/spark-unlimited-hiring-for-a-3rd-person-action-slasher/

I'm hoping for E3 as well. Just like I was last year. Last year it was the listing on the Gamespy servers that got everyone hyped up about the game.

It clearly says it's horror. Dont think Star Wars has ever been considered horror

Archived