Home

Prequels > Orginals

Ping

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I like all of the movies, old and new...

I retconned my Pnp RPG character up to the prequels and she is far, far more powerful now than before, got a whole slew of new toys to wreak havok upon the universe with. And I know I will lose my SW cred but, I love you midichlorians! (Yes I know the idea sucks but it helped me, so I love it now. ;) )

*Puts on asbestos undies*

Lucas is an editor. Has no aptitude for directing, which is obvious in pretty much any interview with cast members discussing the subject and in the various prequel behind-the-scenes documentaries. His general approach seems to be to shoot a bunch of takes with no input and then hack them together in post.

The baffling thing is that he got really good performances out of actors before (To pick a non-Star Wars example Paul LeMat in American Graffiti), so what happened? Were the actors he hired before just that good or could Lucas actually direct at some point?

• 2 weeks later...
Lol.

Synthesised voices are getting pretty good. If they can smooth out the disjointed way some words are strung together, Lucas will finally have his longed for digital actors.

Sorry, he already did that. It's not commonly known, but he turned Samuel L. Jackson into a robot for his role as Mace Windu in the prequels. :p

I've always enjoyed prequels more when I want too see large fights and shiny things, but when im trying to get into a story Epire Strikes Back is for me. I enjoyed Haydens acting but the Anakin in TPM, I cringed :p. They are meant to appeal to different audiences, and everyone disliking George Lucas (well, some people), hes the one who made the 6 movies.

Just my thoughts.

If I'm not mistaken, the original trilogy did attract a huge fan following from the very age bracket the prequels were meant to attract, and did that while being good films.

QFT, I got in to the OT when I was 4-5 years old, I didn't need mollycoddling to understand them.

If I'm not mistaken, the original trilogy did attract a huge fan following from the very age bracket the prequels were meant to attract, and did that while being good films.

That wasn't the point I was making, the point I was making is that GL's vision of what Star Wars is hasn't changed over the years, it's just that his methods have changed.

I dunno man, I still feel the shift went towards merchandise like toys at Return of the Jedi. Both IV and V almost feel like completely different movies than VI, I, II and III.

I dunno man, I still feel the shift went towards merchandise like toys at Return of the Jedi. Both IV and V almost feel like completely different movies than VI, I, II and III.

This. The mood of the saga totally changed between TESB and RoTJ.

I think the spear-chucking teddy bears had a lot to do with it.

The other change was his full-on embracing of special effects over actual substance. That actually started before Empire, but there he had the likes of producer Gary Kurtz and director Irvin Kershner keeping him in check. To hear Kurtz tell it, that was the cause of their falling out during the production of Empire, and he subsequently left to work on other projects (like the Dark Crystal). By the time Jedi went into production, Lucas had surrounded himself with yes men rather than people that would challenge him. You can really see this in the behind the scenes footage from the prequels. Nobody has the balls to call him out on anything, even when you can see that they are saying "wtf?" to themselves.

Archived