Home

What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?

mimartin

63 members have voted

1. 1. What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?

• Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM).
    • Digital distribution
    • Streamlining games
    • Console Designed/PC Ported
    • Multiplayer/Co-Op
    • Yoda
    • DLC

1. Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM). 3rd party requirement (Steam to play Skyrim or Origin to play Mass Effect 3).

2. Along the same lines. Digital distribution the move towards no longer having a physical copy and only being able to purchase the game from certain digital distributors (exp Origin)

3. Streamlining games in an attempt to make them more attractive to a wider audience.

4. More and more games being made with consoles in mind and PC just being a ported after thought.

5. More games trying to add multiplayer/co-op

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd vote for all of them if I could, but I mainly hate the fact that I can't actually get a physical game. If a PC/console dies, and I don't have a disc to reinstall it with, then what would I do? It's far more reliable to actually have a hard copy.

Can't speak for the rest (don't have them), but with Steam, you just redownload them. It is just like magic or having the disc, only you can't lose the disc or scratch it up. ;)

Voted Yoda, NOT b/c there aren't problems, but b/c several of the options all seemed equally bad to me. Both DRM and lack of physical copy bother me about the same. If I'm gonna play a game, I at least want it on the disc I bought. Having DLable backups (like w/Steam, etc..) IS good, but not a substitute. #5 bothers me least, as long as the MMO type content isn't really integral to the story itself (but mostly an op to rack up a body count or just kill time, for instance). Streamlining and platform issues are in the middle with this group of options. ME3 is likely (along w/maybe TOR) to be my last vid game purchase for quite awhile.

In many ways digital distribution implies DRM to begin with... of course not always, just look at Good Old Games... but yeah, still.

Platform issues can go the other way too of course, PC games that get horrid console ports but no one seems to complain about that since I've found that console owners are more open to having multiple platforms available to them to begin with.

Can't speak for the rest (don't have them), but with Steam, you just redownload them. It is just like magic or having the disc, only you can't lose the disc or scratch it up. ;)

And with Steam, you have to hope someone doesn't hack your account or you don't get banned for some reason... I know cases where people were banned without doing anything wrong. And they don't give any explanation.

That's the problem of being dependable of 3rd party software or servers. You don't have any control over what you legally payed for. On GOG for example, you do have your account where you can download the games you legally bought any time you want. But if you choose to download the .exe and save it on a disc, hard drive, whatever, you can. And you won't ever need any kind of activation or login to play the game. It yours.

I know cases where people were banned without doing anything wrong. And they don't give any explanation.
I don't know anyone that has been banned, but I have read about that on the internet.

I also read about people being banned from bioware or EA's website, have their game in their hands, but still can't play it because of the ban. Again, don't know anyone that was banned, but I have read it.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, I've just decided not to post on Bioware or EA's official websites or even Steam for that matter. I'll post here and wait for Lynk to ban me, he has no control over my games though.

I'll post here and wait for Lynk to ban me, he has no control over my games though.

soon-cat-dog.jpg

:p

What about DLC? Is anyone still annoyed about those things?

Yes. Although generally I can wait for the GotY edition or similar where it comes with all DLC. But I still hate it, though.

I am worried about all this online video gaming. I have been a single player video gamer all my life through PS1, PS2 and now PS3. It just discusts me that Lucasarts chose a online only game for PC for the Old republic. Where is non-online single/multiplayer Star Wars Battlefront III for consoles? Star Wars Battlefront I and II were Lucasarts highest selling video games to date. Why cancel the series after making all that money?

Why is the option "Yoda" on pretty much every poll? LOL

Same reason polls have "None of the above" in them. It gives people something to vote for even if they do not care enough to think about it. Besides "it is tradition and I'm traditional kind of guy." no clue what movie/tv show that line is from

Archived