Home

What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?

mimartin

What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?

• Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM).
    • Digital distribution
    • Streamlining games
    • Console Designed/PC Ported
    • Multiplayer/Co-Op
    • Yoda
    • DLC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted for DRM, but the other thing that really bugs me is 'day 1 DLC'. Why the hell not include it in the game in the first place?

Working with that argument fundamentally undermines the idea of DLC altogether. Why charge for extra tidbits you have cooked up after the actual game's development? Why not just give it away like you do with patches?

Instead of giving us Star Wars Battlefront III. They have two handheld only spinoffs nd release video games based on Star Wars The Clone Wars TV series and Lego Star Wars games. I am sure they probably broke even financially.

No. First, they are not stupid. They know Battlefront III is a most wanted sequel. And as you know, they were already making it for some time. If not for the company making it (Free Radical) went bankrupt, we would already be playing it. Second, they didn't just released the spin-off NDS games of The Clone Wars (and its Lego counterpart). They've also released TFU and TFUII, and SWTOR (whether you like them or not is another issue).

I chose "Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM)" but "Console Designed/PC Ported" isn't far behind. I'm in the military and an online option isn't feasible if I'm attached to a unit that's out to sea. For the second choice, I guess I'm really sick of looking Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart, or any of the "big box stores" and seeing only a few PC games yet seeing so many console games available. I do have a Xbox 360 which I've hardly used and a Wii but when I feel like gaming, it's to the PC I usually go. Let's be honest - modding a game isn't something you'd seek a console out for, it's a PC.

I wanted to get the demo for the latest Aliens Vs. Predator game. Turns out steam pulled it, so now I can't play it, even if I download it from elsewhere! So while the DRM thing is pretty annoying, [exclusive] digital distribution has its drawbacks as well.

I'll agree console designed can also be annoying (see the Force Unleashed games).

So basically...

PC port of a console developed game = BAD?

Console port of a PC developed game = I don't care I own a PC!

Pretty much the mentality I've seen around.

Could be worse though.. developers could say "piss on ya PC owners" and not even bother with a port. Because I can guarantee that if they (developers/studios) had to choose.. the PC is on the lo$ing $ide. ;)

So with that last post and it's use of the $ symbol, I'm assuming that people think the following...

Game developers and publishers = charity organizations set up just for them

huh? :raise:

I'm just calling it like I see it. More money to be made making console games = pc on the losing side. No delusions of charity in the statement, just cold hard fact about the gaming/development trend.

I seem to recall a similar statement. ;)

Developers and publishers don't find profit in the modding of PC games, they find profit in the selling of console games. Until you can find a way for PC developers/publishers to profit as greatly as they have with console games, you're all out of luck.

I know, I'm just pointing out the fact that people think that these companies exist purely for them, as if these organisations were created for the very sole purpose of making a game just for *points at someone very specifically* YOU!

But it wasn't an attack on you, chainz... just an observation about gamers in general who can't understand why video game developers want to make money.

I know, I'm just pointing out the fact that people think that these companies exist purely for them, as if these organisations were created for the very sole purpose of making a game just for *points at someone very specifically* YOU!

But it wasn't an attack on you, chainz... just an observation about gamers in general who can't understand why video game developers want to make money.

No worries man, just was confused. Wanted to confirm that I was agreeing with ya :D

Gamers understand why devs (or should I say, publishers) want to make money. What they are fighting against is the wrong preconception some have against PC gaming. At least I do.

When people say consoles sell more than PC, what exactly are they saying? That 3 different plataforms sell more than one?

Gamers understand why devs (or should I say, publishers) want to make money. What they are fighting against is the wrong preconception some have against PC gaming. At least I do.

When people say consoles sell more than PC, what exactly are they saying? That 3 different plataforms sell more than one?

I was going to write up a huge post about this but it's easier on all of us just to do dot points...

- You mean 2 consoles, can't count Wii in this since it's not on par with the PS3 and 360.

- PCs are not standardised like consoles are, every PC is different and it takes a lot more time/money/effort for developers to make PC games because of this.

- Console gaming population is huge and still growing and tend to spend A LOT more money than PC gamers do.

- Developers have more control over their games on consoles. Developers/publishers try to exercise this on PC by the way of DRM... which isn't very popular.

- The majority of consumers want accessibility in their games. Insert disc, push start... start playing. Easy. Consoles do this, PC doesn't... developers know this.

...now what I want to know is what are these "wrong preconceptions" developers have of the entire PC gaming platform? I mean, a lot of them have been developing PC games for a long time before they started to trend to consoles. Obviously something is happening that is making them do that... but if they're wrong for doing it, why?

now what I want to know is what are these "wrong preconceptions" developers have of the entire PC gaming platform?

That PC doesn't sell, that DRM protects their games, that piracy affects the sales hugely, etc... Do you really think that if they release a PC version of a game, that they won't have any profit (i.e: doesn't cover the expenses)? Look at The Witcher 2, for example.

I don't mind to wait a year or so for a PC version (we usually get all the DLC). In fact, I understand them when they do that. But giving some poor excuses to not release the game on PC is just stupid. I believe PC sells as much as a single console (if not more).

I don't think developers/publishers think they WON'T profit from PC games... it's just that most of them think they will get more profits from console games...

- PC games do sell... just not as quickly or as much as most console games unless it can do something a console just cannot... like TOR.

- DRM does protect their games, the more passive methods consoles and Steam employs seems to be pretty acceptable to a lot of people... but as you know, PC gamers draw a line and boycott games if it passes that line (see Mass Effect 3 on Origin).

- Piracy does have an affect, don't think it doesn't. We all do it but don't start thinking there is no affect.

You may have your beliefs but these companies have sales data on their games that seem to suggest that releasing games on a console is more profitable for them than on PC.

I'm not saying that we should like it, but they're not doing this out of some kind of malice or evil plan to take over the world or whatever personal attacks a lot of people feel PC developers are making against them. It's just business... it's the same reason why Nintendo of America didn't want to release Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower in the US... of course that's all fixed now since the success of those games in the EU and AU have changed their minds.

I don't think developers/publishers think they WON'T profit from PC games... it's just that most of them think they will get more profits from console games...

I know. But then isn't it legitimate to ask for a PC version (even if it's released later on)? They have got "nothing" to loose.

- PC games do sell... just not as quickly or as much as most console games unless it can do something a console just cannot... like TOR.

I don't argue that. ;)

- DRM does protect their games, the more passive methods consoles and Steam employs seems to be pretty acceptable to a lot of people... but as you know, PC gamers draw a line and boycott games if it passes that line (see Mass Effect 3 on Origin).

How exactly does DRM protect their games? DRM is cracked mostly before or on the day the game is released. And in the end, the legitimate consumers are the ones who have to deal with it, while the pirates play the "normal version". Is it really worth it? I don't think so.

- Piracy does have an affect, don't think it doesn't. We all do it but don't start thinking there is no affect.

"Hugely" is the key word. ;)

You may have your beliefs but these companies have sales data on their games that seem to suggest that releasing games on a console is more profitable for them than on PC.

On the short run, yes. And as I said, I understand why they want to focus more on the consoles. I only think PC shouldn't be ignored either. And no, they are not charity organizations, but that doesn't make the plea any less valid.

How does DRM protect games? It doesn't, but it makes the investors of companies feel more secure of their investments.

I don't think any gaming platform should be ignored either but PC developers aren't ignoring the PC. PC games are being released, it's just that they don't take priority over the console versions since the console versions are seen as being more profitable.

However, if you're wondering why certain developers who have always made console games aren't making PC games... it's because they have 0 experience making PC games added on to the fact that they see consoles as being more profitable and secure than the PC platform as a whole.

EDIT: Also, piracy is a huge factor,.. after all, if it had no effect we wouldn't have DRM. The very idea that a company may lose a scrap of profit has made them react to piracy. That's a pretty huge effect, I'd say.

Archived