Home

Application/octet-stream ?? Help please

Lady Jedi

Greetings, Swamp dwellers, I need a little help with a confusing file. I am taking some college credits through Penn Foster correspondence school. Whenever they grade any of my writing assignments they leave a link on my student homepage to view the instructor's evaluation file. The problem is that the file shows up as an "application/octet-stream" with no actual file type extension, so I cannot get any program to actually open this and display it in English.

I can email my instructor and have them send a Word file, but it would be nice to skip that step and just download my evaluation. Do any of y'all know how get one of these to open?

Not sure, but if you're submitting a word doc, my guess it's probably a word doc with notes. you could dl it and try looking at it with a hex editor for some clues.

often files will have stuff like %png as the first bytes in them because programs don't rely on file extensions to determine file type. for instance, renaming a .jpg to .gif doesn't make it a gif file.

edit: if you have notepad++ you could open it w/ that too.

I used to get that problem viewing YouTube videos in Firefox months and months ago. Click on a link to any video and I"d get that instead. It was pretty ridiculous.

Try another browser, yo. That would be my first step.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, guys. After much trial and error, I was able to click the dl link in Firefox, tell it I wanted to view in IE, tell IE to open the file, save it, and viola! My evaluation!

Funny story, though. My grade came in at an 84% and I knew that I had done better than that, so I called the head of the writing department, and asked her to look it over. She immediately disagreed with the other professor's evaluation and regraded. Bumped me to a 96%. Woot! :D

Archived