Home

Assassin's Creed 3

Taak Farst

I have to admit that I'm not very thrilled about AC moving to the American Revolution, or the American continent in general. To me, AC was a game that allowed me to visit places and times no other game did, so after the Holy Land and Renaissance Italy and especially all the wondrous cities we visited in those time periods, moving to the period during the American Revolution seems a bit "meh" in comparison. Some suggestions I have seen included 17th century England or feudal China or Japan and I have to say those sound a lot better to me than the official choice. :(

Well, exotic means different things to different people. While I have learned about the American Revolution and about American history in general, it has always been on a superficial level. To me, the North American continent is something far away and unknown. To me, an AC game in England is far less attractive than on the American continent. Sure, feudal China or Japan and other ideas that have been circulating would be amazing settings for an AC game, but I'm certainly not complaining. Besides, we can still get those, the franchise doesn't end with Desmond's story.

So yeah, looking forward to it. And with three years of development under its belt, I do expect something exceptional. Make it happen, Ubisoft!

I think choosing the American Revolution as a backdrop was a really interesting choice, and I look forward to playing the game. But, being an American I'm biased.

Although, and somewhat to igyman's point...what wondrous cities can we expect to explore? Certainly Boston or Philadelphia, or perhaps New York come to mind..maybe even Charleston in the south or perhaps Montreal or Quebec...but..even though Philadelphia was a large city and New York and Boston were huge centers of trade I don't think any of them matched up to the picturesque cityscapes we saw in Rome, Constantinople, or Venice. I'm interested to see what Ubisoft does with cities in the colonies and how they match up to what we saw with Rome in Brotherhood and Constantinople in Revelations. Or perhaps they want to switch gears and this game will see more of a focus on smaller villages and wooded terrain???

Your guys' thoughts on this?

I would have preferred the French Revolution, a lot more intrigue and plotting going on there.

It's pretty stupid that the protagonist is half English half Native American, yet is killing redcoats. Realistically he'd almost definitely be firmly on the side of the English, considering they at least semi-respected the agreements made with Native American tribes, while the colonists wanted unchecked expansion into native lands. It would even work better from an AC story perspective, what with so many founding fathers being freemasons and stuff like that.

But no, it has to be FREEDOM AMERICA JUSTICE LIBERTY! Kill those evil Englishmen! I mean, I love my country enough to risk my life for it, but an important part of true patriotism is having a realistic view of both the good and bad aspects of your country, not some BS propagandist fantasy. The Revolutionary War had a bit to do with liberty, but much more to do with money, land, and other economic interests, like any other war.

If they'd only done the French Revolution, they could have avoided this stupidity.

I like the choice of setting, but I think his outfit looks stupid.

I would have preferred the French Revolution, a lot more intrigue and plotting going on there.

It's pretty stupid that the protagonist is half English half Native American, yet is killing redcoats. Realistically he'd almost definitely be firmly on the side of the English, considering they at least semi-respected the agreements made with Native American tribes, while the colonists wanted unchecked expansion into native lands. It would even work better from an AC story perspective, what with so many founding fathers being freemasons and stuff like that.

But no, it has to be FREEDOM AMERICA JUSTICE LIBERTY! Kill those evil Englishmen! I mean, I love my country enough to risk my life for it, but an important part of true patriotism is having a realistic view of both the good and bad aspects of your country, not some BS propagandist fantasy. The Revolutionary War had a bit to do with liberty, but much more to do with money, land, and other economic interests, like any other war.

If they'd only done the French Revolution, they could have avoided this stupidity.

I quite agree. After seeing the trailer, it's as if they've been speaking to Gibson and Emmerich. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

JOIN OR DIE EDITION

'Join or Die' was a famous political cartoon drawn by Benjamin Franklin, one of the founding fathers of the United States. It was created as a symbol colonial unity and freedom, and is now the inspiration for our incredible Assassin’s Creed III special edition.

This collector’s edition includes an AC medallion, George Washington Notebook and a ULC pack featuring the bonus mission “Ghost of War” and Sharpshooter MP character.

FREEDOM EDITION

Acclaimed comic artist Alex Ross (Spider-Man, Kingdom Come) is the genius behind our Freedom Edition, the most deluxe version of Assassin’s Creed III.

This incredible package comes with a special collector’s box, a 24 cm tall figure of Connor, a steelbook designed by Alex Ross, a George Washington note book and loads of great ULC.

Clicky

I hated the first one and have not played any of the recent releases, whatever they were... I feel like I've seen at least 2 others, but this is the official #3?

Anyway, were the more recent releases any different than the first or have I just bought into the cg trailers?

Assassin's Creed 2 was fantastic, in comparison to 1. Brotherhood & Revelations were rehashes of 2 with some new features added. Brotherhood was very good but by Revelations it got a bit dry. If you want to try any of the 3 before #3 comes, go for 2.

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome. Particularly like the new capability to jump through windows. I still have not played through Revelations yet, but am already stoked for this title. Although I must admit that half of my excitement comes from the fact that I'm American and this game is set during the Am. Revolutionary War. Whether the game is as good as its predecessors or not, they pretty much already won my money because of the setting :patriot: ; damn them for playing to my patriotism.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Got the game a few days ago, reached sequence 3. Quite a long "intro", but I do like Haytham. Can't wait to get back to it.

I share the same point & opinion as you. Haytham's accent + the plot twist make for a good character:D

EDIT: I saw that a lot of critics say there is a lot to do, but it is incoherent with each other. I agree to an extent, but I still think it all has enough purpose that it is fully justifiable. I LOVE Naval Missions, they're awesome. I also can't hunt an animal without singing Radioactive...

Anyone have a favorite outfit? I'm slighly underwhelmed by the limited amount of choices and the outfits themselves, to be honest, but I do like the Boston (brown) outfit. Got a few issues with the HUD as well, specifically there's one slot for ranged weapons and traps and the horse whistle? Quite cumbersome. Also, as expected maybe from these type of games, some strange AI behavior. Sometimes you'll see a Patriot fighting a Loyalist and when one kills the other, blames you for it (or maybe that's smart AI, I don't know :p).

Other than that, the game has been a blast. I don't really have issue with the side-missions not relating to the main story or being incoherent or whatever. I love that there's so much to do. It's really an amazing game.

Also, more Haytham is awesome. Reached Sequence 10 and the Connor-Haytham relationship has been fun. I'm quite amazed they pulled of the facial expressions, Haytham's expressions always make me smile.

I finished the main story. It's been a thrilling ride, I must say, but not one without its faults. The meat of the game is amazing. Connor, in my opinion, plays better than Ezio or Altaïr ever did. He's more agile, has new tools and can freaking climb trees! New York and Boston are great, but don't have the flair of Ezio's cities. These ain't no Venice, yo. But it's the Frontier that steals the show. Never mind that it's huge, but there so much stuff to do, so many animals to hunt, trees to climb. It's a marvel, never more so, in my opinion, than in the winter season, where the snow provides idyllic scenes where you can just lose yourself in.

There are downsides, though. First and foremost, the bugs. I have never seen an Assassin's Creed so buggy at release (and I purchased them all on day one, so I'd know), so this is pretty much inexcusable. Never mind the people sinking into the ground, getting stuck in the furniture or a horse that follows you around everywhere that you can't even ride (this one's a real pain, as it messes up everything you do, from combat to certain quests), the real shocker are graphical glitches where half of the room is glowing purple and green stripes, parts of infrastructure that have a part sticking out across the whole room and more (granted, pretty much all of this happened in the underground tunnels, but it shouldn't happen).

The HUDs also quite messed up. Switching between weapons, getting to the Assassin Guild screen, it's all really messed up. Add to that the fact that some missions don't appear on the map and it can be a frustrating game.

AC3 is also inferior to the Ezio trilogy when it comes to its characters. Connor is as wooden as they come. Maybe it's unfair to compare the two when one had a whole trilogy to develop and unfair because nobody would ever match Ezio's flair, but considering you're playing the character for hours upon hours, I think we can demand a little more. The history figures are also pretty inferior to the likes of Da Vinci and co. in their portrayal. Achilles is a nice addition however. And, well, AC3 manages to deliver (in my opinion) the truly best character in the whole series so far, Haytham Kenway. You play as him for a rather long period before you get to play Connor, but it's more than that. He has a fascinating background (spoilers!), kills every scene he plays in (amazing voice actor, by the way) and he's British. :p

Lastly, and I've been in the minority that enjoyed Desmond's sections in the games before, I'm pretty disappointed about how it ended. He had some missions of his own that were an improvement (for the most part) to the previous games, but I always hoped for Desmond to come into his own and shine in some mad endgame, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I know it's a bit much to expect the developers to drop Desmond in a complete modern city and do his thing, but that's a bit what I always wanted for the character. And it's really possible, you know, if they would only give themselves more time to develop the game and didn't choose a massive city to create. It doesn't have to be modern New York, per se. :p

Anyway, hours upon hours of fun to be had in AC3. You need to look past some of its issues (and they're more noticeable than they've ever been in previous entries - the engine's getting old), but if you can (and a true assassin should!) then you'll have a blast.

I've mostly enjoyed the game so far (Sequence 7), but I'm still not sure if I actually like it.

And I really don't understand the need or point of naval battles. Yes, they're very good and all that, but I still don't see why a shadowy group like the Assassins require a Navy.

I've mostly enjoyed the game so far (Sequence 7), but I'm still not sure if I actually like it.

And I really don't understand the need or point of naval battles. Yes, they're very good and all that, but I still don't see why a shadowy group like the Assassins require a Navy.

I feel that anything shadowey about the Assassins is pretty limited in revolution era. Enjoying this game more than the others. Love it.

EDIT: and there is the deal breaker...I've just finished it...the end to Connors story is good. Desmond? Absolutely terrible. And am I the only one who wants a game that brings a true end to the Templar v Assassin war?

Archived