Home

Budget Laptops :p

I would take this question to Q. Just bought a laptop for a meeting, was surprised they have become so cheap since I last looked at them. Still wished I could have consulted Q before the purchase, but lacked the time as I was told at 5:00pm that I needed one by a 8:00am meeting...Funny thing was, we never opened the laptop during the entire meeting. :)

So I have one that has been on for about 1 hour loading software, but I will keep it for the next time I "need" it for a meeting.

The newest Intel mobile CPU/GPUs, codenamed Ivy Bridge, are due to come out in June. You should be able to play even modern titles at low settings on them.

The cheap models should be around $400 or even less. I recommend Lenovo, Toshiba or ASUS if you don't mind paying a little more or can find one on sale.

Go to wal-mart...if you don't think they work for satan. :dev9:

If you're really determined to go chaep...errm K-Mart had one for $75...small teeny tiny thing, even smaller than a netbook. Probably couldn't do crap on it but that's cheap for you.

Sony Vaio is pretty good. I had...operative word being had... one. I'm sure a more modern one would work. Just don't go with Norton Antivirus if it comes pre-installed. I'd rather staple my ******* to my leg like that guy on jackass before trusting them again.

Acer seems to be okay.

I'd go with Q's suggestion. I caution you this much about toshiba: their hard drives and chip-sets are unique to their models (last I checked, could be wrong), so you cannot get a generic replacement hard drive, and you have to buy ram upgrades from them as well. On the bright side, it's hard to screw that up when certain parts are specifically made to work with certian machines.

Look in Consumer Reports magazine and at Clark Howard's website for good advice. Seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an asus netbook, I can't remember the model name. It was 340 Euros, it plays old games well and can word process and run chrome with 2-3 tabs open. And its battery can in fact last 10 hours. Granted you better be doing nothing but word processing or reading PDFs but unlike most laptop batterys that say they can last however many hours but cant, this one actually does do that. Even with super performance on its about 5 hours of battery

Archived