Home

Classic Horror Games

Scratches is one of my favorites for sure.

Very classic storytelling (narration and voice talent is superb). The use of ambiance and music sets this perfect edge-of-your-seat thriller. Definitely worth checking out if this is the type of game you like :)

Steam has it for $10: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46460/

-----

7th guest and 11th Hour are also great games.. though they're so old, it would be hard to find copies of them (I'd imagine). Might try GOG.

Dear Esther is a horror game now? :p

Clive Barker's Undying is without a doubt my favourite horror video game. It was my reigning scariest-game-ever until Amnesia came along. It's really old though, mind.

If you like adventure games, Ben Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation game), made a bunch of well-written, low-fi horror games called the Chzo Mythos. The games are in order: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes and 6 Days a Sacrifice.

There's the Silent Hill games that have represented horror games for years, but I haven't played any, except for a bit of the first which I thought was genuinely scary.

If you liked Amnesia, consider Frictional's previous efforts, namely the Penumbra series. They're the games most similar to Amnesia.

Then there's an indie game that's been grabbing the survival horror headlines, called Lone Survivor, by Jason Byrne. Not sure if it's classic horror or not, so look into it.

As for games coming up, there's Anna by Dreampainters, which looks like an interesting horror adventure thing (and close to Amnesia/Dear Esther). It's coming out next month.

Finally, there's the sequel to Amnesia, being developed by the Dear Esther team, called A Machine for Pigs.

I knew about the Amnesia sequel and I have to say: very excited and as for the Penumbra series: played it and couldn't get i into it. I think it is because I played Amnesia first and the mechanics there are a lot better but the story is great just as good as any other Frictional title. I can't wait to see what thechineseroom does with A Machine For Pigs though, so excited.

I will look into Scratches actually, it looks like it could be interesting.

And to you Alexrd: props for playing a game based on my man Lovecraft's Mythos.

Does anyone also feel the lack of classic horror games for consoles? I don't know of I am just not attentive enough or what but I really don't see many.

Cover-based shooting just doesn't go so well with survival horror, it turns out.

Sad but true on both parts :(

Alan Wake is a pretty decent horror game.. but as Sabre pointed out.. it involves some pew-pew. Seems they can't just leave that portion out and come out with a decent *gasp* RPG without the shooty elements.

Granted many RPG's contain a combat element, but console horror games seem to involve that portion as the dominate feature.

Still, Alan Wake is definitely worth a playthrough. Seems a little more traditional than most horror/survival (though I'll always have a place in my heart for the Deadspace series.. hehe)

Alan Wake is interesting because despite its numerous horror elements (and obvious homages to King and Lovecraft), it bills itself as "A Psychological Action Thriller". Viewed from that lens, it does its job pretty well - there's lots of action, and in the second half of the game there isn't even any horror left as even Alan and his buddy start joking about the enemies they face.

To its credit, Alan Wake has a way of keeping you on the edge and making you feel uncomfortable in every single fight, no matter how repetitive.

Bad things? Alan Wake is not the best horror game out there but it's fairly good. Mechanics work well, repetitiveness doesn't really bother much, atmosphere is spot on, graphics are still top notch, writing is excellent (Alan is, after all, a successful thriller writer and speaks just like you'd expect a writer to speak and think) and the rock concert at the farm bit... wow.

Definetly a hit in face of the lack of good horror games.

and the rock concert at the farm bit... wow.

CHILDREN OF THE ELDER GOD! :rock:

Like I said, don't go into Alan Wake as a horror game, and it's absolutely fantastic. It's one of the better put-together games I've seen in recent years and really shines in every department I can think of.

So what are everyone's favorite horror games? And favorite scary moments from any game?

F.E.A.R. and its expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate, not the "lame" sequels), the Penumbra trilogy, and Amnesia.

Archived