Home

Star Wars: Jedi Knight 4

irish_texan

i have one thing to say. to anyone who takes upon themself the task of creating the next Jedi Knight game: Jedi Academy has morphed into something so much richer than it ever would have been on its own, because of MODDERS. if you make a new game, find some of the better modders and commission them to let you use their stuff.

there are myriad professional-quality modders out there whose work would be invaluable in the Jedi Knight game. they should all be at least considered. these modders are the people who ought to be your main developers. at least ask them.

the modders of the JKA community have forever changed the way JKA is played, and you would be wise to include them in your new game as much as possible. at least just ask.

anyway, thats my two cents. spend it wisely.

Erm, they don't need modders. In fact, a modder wouldn't do much good on the making of a game. Modders simply modify what someone else made (they may be good at it, but that's all they do). If I were to make a game, I wouldn't hire them. What they need is ideas, programmers, modelers, animators, etc...

or at least pay them a commission to use their mod in the game, even if you wouldnt hire them for an actual development job, you know?

That doesn't make sense. A mod, as the name says, is a modification to an certain game. You can't use an existing mod on a new (or yet to be) game, since it's only compatible with the game it was made for. And why should they receive a commission?

if jk4 uses the same engine, the modifications would only have to be changed a little bit, if at all, to work on the new game. jko mods work perfectly on jka.

and they would be paid a commission (or at least asked permission of) because its their work.

if jk4 uses the same engine,

And why would they make a new game using the Quake 3 engine?

and they would be paid a commission (or at least asked permission of) because its their work.

No. Nobody should receive a commission because of a mod. It goes against the whole concept of it. And if they make a new game, it won't be with Quake 3 nor with any existing mods.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between a mod and the making of a game. A game is not made out of a bunch of mods.

i know a game isnt made out of a bunch of mods, you dont need to insult my intelligence to get your point across.

first of all, i know the quake 3 engine is old, but it was old when they used it for jedi academy and it still worked pretty well.

secondly, the vast majority of the fan base for the jedi knight games are either modders or people who enjoy using mods, so it wouldnt be a bad idea to use an engine that facilitated modding. in fact, it would be a very good idea.

third, even if the new game doesnt use the q3 engine (i know, by now its so old that it would be much more obsolete than it was when they used it for jka) im sure there would be ways to port mods from jka to jk4. im just saying, even if they dont use the mods i mentioned in particular, they should at least consult the modders, who have proven themselves capable, for ideas.

the mods i listed in the thread post are all really good mods, and like i said, are a lot better than most of what raven put in the game. the people who made them are creative and their ideas would make a new game that much better.

i know a game isnt made out of a bunch of mods, you dont need to insult my intelligence to get your point across.

I didn't insult anyone.

first of all, i know the quake 3 engine is old, but it was old when they used it for jedi academy and it still worked pretty well.

Yes, it was old when they used it for JKA. Which is one more reason to not use such an old engine now.

secondly, the vast majority of the fan base for the jedi knight games are either modders or people who enjoy using mods, so it wouldnt be a bad idea to use an engine that facilitated modding. in fact, it would be a very good idea.

I agree. But it's not what this is about, I believe.

third, even if the new game doesnt use the q3 engine (i know, by now its so old that it would be much more obsolete than it was when they used it for jka) im sure there would be ways to port mods from jka to jk4.

It's not doable. Not unless the game uses Quake 3 engine (which it won't, if it ever gets made).

im just saying, even if they dont use the mods i mentioned in particular, they should at least consult the modders, who have proven themselves capable, for ideas.

One doesn't need to be a modder to have good ideas. I'm sure people brainstorm a lot of of them when they are about to make a game. However, they have a limited time and budget to make a game. They need to focus on essential things like story, gameplay and level design. They don't have time and money to make as much levels or skins as the modding community did on all these years. We have to be realistic here.

the mods i listed in the thread post are all really good mods, and like i said, are a lot better than most of what raven put in the game.

That's arguable. And even if true, that's because Raven had more important things to focus on. I'm sure a modder could come up with a very good map. But that modder didn't have to create code, story, animations, assets, etc. All of that was given to him already. An unfair and unrealistic comparison.

It's not doable. Not unless the game uses Quake 3 engine (which it won't, if it ever gets made).

youre right. i guess i didnt mean "port" exactly. i just meant that the ideas in the mods would be good for a new game, even if they had to be completely remade to fit the new engine. my bad. i didnt word that correctly.

One doesn't need to be a modder to have good ideas. I'm sure people brainstorm a lot of of them when they are about to make a game. However, they have a limited time and budget to make a game. They need to focus on essential things like story, gameplay and level design. They don't have time and money to make as much levels or skins as the modding community did on all these years. We have to be realistic here.

thats a good point, i suppose. i guess i have to agree with you there. raven didnt have time or money to come up with stuff as good as the modders. realistically speaking you cant blame them.

but thats why i was saying that they should ask the modders for rights to their ideas. the numerous mods that have been released are good material, at least for conceptualizing aspects of a new game.

That's arguable. And even if true, that's because Raven had more important things to focus on. I'm sure a modder could come up with a very good map. But that modder didn't have to create code, story, animations, assets, etc. All of that was given to him already. An unfair and unrealistic comparison.

i agree, the modders have it easier because they are provided with the foundation of an already existing game, but raven had a development team consisting of more than just one person. im sure they had specific people assigned to certain tasks. it was just a few guys sharing all the responsibilities. im just saying raven should use people more like these modders... find more creative mappers, modelers, etc. you know?

this is all assuming there will be a jk4, of course, which is an unlikely possibility anyway, unfortunately.

Archived