Home

Tim Schafer's Not-So-Secret Shame

MeddlingMonk

I am a backer of the Double Fine Adventure, and as such I am sworn to secrecy on pain of...pain. Anyway. Be that as it may, there is something Grim Fandango related that I can share, probably not news as such, which is that Schafer apparently feels some sense of responsibility for the much-hyped "death" of adventure games. It has to do with the fact that GF was named Game of the Year by GameSpot yet sold like the Edsel. Shafer says that since then game publishers have used that as a reason to reject AG proposals, basically saying "If GF couldn't sell after being named Game of the Year, what hope does your game have?" Nice. But motivational, I guess, if you're name is Tim Schafer and publishers are using your big achievement as a cudgel to beat AGs down with. Says a lot about game publishers, doesn't it?

Indeed. I don't think he should feel responsible for that. I mean, what would have he made different? A not so good game? If the genre was really loosing popularity, at least it would go down with a great game. Not to mention the amount of people that tried and played the game just because it was GotY.

Well, to be clear(er), he hasn't said that he feels responsible--in the sense of being culpable--for the "death" of adventure games. It's more like he regrets that Grim Fandango has been cited by game publishers as a reason not to make adventure games. I don't think he regrets anything about Grim Fandango itself, just the (mis)use others have made of it's sales record.

• 2 years later...

It's crazy to say Tim caused the demise of adventure point and click games.

A number of factors helped. The sale of Sierra to a scumbag rogue. Who quickly let the old games pass away and closed most of Sierra.

The rise of the console games and their teen players who game makers bowed down to and started to change their interfaces from point and click.

Activision is reopening Sierra Studios which will help get some adventure games made.

I hope adventure game makers will take into account the poor sales of GF, Kings quest 8 and monkey island 4 to not go the console controls route

Archived