Home

Hey geeks and gear heads, Groovy needs your help!

Darth Groovy

Ok let me break it down like this. I have a ps3 slim, and a Sony Str-ks370 surround system. For about a year or so they have played nice together with hdmi cables. My set up is simple. My ps3 slim is connected to my Sony receiver with an hdmi cable. My receiver uses a separate hdmi cable that runs into my HDTV. For about two years they have played nice together and brought me loads of endless entertainment. Recently, I decided to take my ps3 over to my parent's house so that I could use blu-ray movies and use my Netflix account. First time it worked great. Yesterday I did the same thing, however when I brought it back home...I first had the black screen of death. No problem, used the YouTube tutorials and switched back to s-video. Even did a system restore. Now my problem is that I can no longer connect it to my Sony receiver the way it was when I left yesterday. For hdmi I can only hook it directly to the Tv's hdmi port. It will not pick up my surround system at all. What happened and how can I fix this?

Can you feed another hdmi signal through the receiver successfully? If you can, it sounds like an hdmi handshaking issue. Are you certain you've configured your ps3 correctly for your hdmi connection?

Is the ps3 set to auto configure/detect? Try manually setting the hdmi attributes instead of using any type of auto detect.

Are you powering everything up at once?

Can you feed another hdmi signal through the receiver successfully? If you can, it sounds like an hdmi handshaking issue. Are you certain you've configured your ps3 correctly for your hdmi connection?

Is the ps3 set to auto configure/detect? Try manually setting the hdmi attributes instead of using any type of auto detect.

Are you powering everything up at once?

That's jut it. I WAS powering everything up at once quite successfully. I don't know what happened either.

Here is what I did for a fix. I ran the hdmi cable directly into the second hdmi port in the back of the TV. Then I decided to use a fiber optic cable for the sound. That is running directly from the ps3 to the surround. Actually it sounds better. It was a pain in the ass, and I had to re-program my harmony remote, but now everything is back to normal.

Archived