Home

A Soft Drink Thread

Darth Groovy

So I am getting a little bit bored with the usual Soda I drink. Right now this is what's in my fridge:

Cherry RC

Fresca

Diet 7up (mostly for heartburn control)

A&W Root Beer

Pepsi Next

List your top favorite sodas, please describe the flavors in glorious details. I want to try something new.

A&W Cream Soda (always been my favorite)

Vanilla Coke

Fanta Strawberry (or Orange sometimes)

Wild Cherry Pepsi

And if you're looking for something a little different: Manzanita Sol is an apple soda that's pretty good.

As an aside, has anyone else tried Coke Freestyle? I tried one in Austin without knowing what the heck it was, and it blew my mind.

As an aside, has anyone else tried Coke Freestyle? I tried one in Austin without knowing what the heck it was, and it blew my mind.

Goddamn I wish we had those in Nordic Europe...

Anyway, I guess Coca Cola will always be my number one - but I do enjoy a variety of other sodas like Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, A&W Root Beer, Fanta and so forth.

I don't often drink pop anymore but when I do I go for a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper from Sonic. :)

I also just had the chance to try Orange Coke and Raspberry coke at a Five Guys from their Coke Freestyle machines. It was very interesting to say the least!

Do you have any stores around you that sell retro brand glass bottle pops, Grooves? That's the only thing I keep stocked in my theater fridge. Many of them differ from "standard" coke or pepsi flavors and also use sweet sweet cane sugar. A real treat every time someone has one. They sell sampler 12 packs at a lot of places. Those are doubly fun because you never know which one you'll grab.

^^^To add to Rhett's sentiments I suggest World Market as a popular place for that. (just discovered) They have a huge selection of classic retro style soft drinks and gourmet style. Generally the genuine sarsaparilla is a little different than root beer and quite interesting. Cream soda is always a plus. Wherever you can find it, get it.

Forgive my ranting as I was *quite* the soda connoisseur up until recently here. I appreciate the chance to share if you will indulge me...

Before I continue, health concerns:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
More often nowadays I tend to drink unsweetened kettle brewed black tea to help me control the addiciton. The soda addiction has serious health consequences down the road. If I do drink soda, I tend to want the stuff with real cane sugar because

1) it is possible to be satiated and, you know, STOP drinking without fiending for more.

2) I notice HFCS soft drinks tend to keep one coming back for more, and more, and more.

3) I am wary of stones forming in the gallbladder and a number of other things (adult onset diabetes, increased chance for osteoporosis, digestive imbalance, interferes with calcium absorption, etc.)

Being in my late 20's I'd like to remain rather more healthy into old age than less.

You heavy soda drinkers have been warned.

Now then...

1) I have a Soda Stream a client simply just gave to me (doesn't want her kids drinking soda) and I go to Staples and other places to get the syrups. So I am enjoying making my own sodas currently. Boxes of purified water (I use Smart Water from Costco personally), refrigeration and any soda syrup of your choice. Hard to go wrong there.

2) Whether cramming for a test or surfing the web, Sevvy is a nice late night stop for big gulps with coke or doctor pepper with either cherry lemon or vanilla flavoring added. But I swear their junk food is lethal. BLT potato chips for the win.

3) Delis in general where I'm at tend to like to supply "Izze" which is starting to catch on with my taste buds. Pomegranate namely. Give it all a try. Less sweet, more flavor.

4) Jarritos are a favorite though I don't see my favorite flavor 'Jamaica Jamaica' anymore. :( SafeWay usually has some where I'm at. Mom and pop Mexican restaurants usually have Jarritos too.

5) Raley's notably has a "gourmet" soft drinks section. Not all of it retro but there is quite a variety, 15-20 brands at least. Teddy's is pretty good, so are "vintage" coke and pepsi. Jackson hole. Bubble up. Sioux City. XXX. Ramun'e (Japanese). Oh there's so many I can't remember them all right now. Either it's in their deli section or their soda aisle. Go treat yourself.

Occasionally I see Rock'n'Rye Faygo at Raley's, which I liked. They used to have this blueberry soda I'd drink with lager or other beers and actually it set pretty nicely.

6) You ever tried stuff from Henry Weinhard's? *Excellent* stuff. Worth buying a box (or two) of anything you an get your hands on.

I DO caution you, though, be careful how you refrigerate it AND how and where you open it. They can sometimes surprise you like you can open it and it sits there but about a minute later the foam starts creeping out. Don't take quick "swigs" either because you might just agitate the foam that way too.

7) Kemper's is definitely good but at times a little too saturated even for cane sugar... at least some flavors are. Worth a try, though.

8) Vernor's ginger ale is a distinct flavor for special occasions. Hell any ginger ale. Can't quite handle ginger beer though. Tends to burn as it sits in my digestive tract. Certainly try a hand at it.

9) I *really* like the stuff at Trader Joes. Virgil's root beer, vintage cola, Orangina, their seasonal lemon italian soda (Mmm yeah! DEFINITELY!), their grapefruit soda, and their italian blood orange soda (which you can get year round). Every other week I get blood orange fron TJ's--great for your italian food night. Which leads me to...

10) You can also get Italian Blood Orange soda occasionally from Costco (seasonally), and hit or miss from Grocery Outlet, Big Lots, and occasionally at grocery stores in their deli. Try them all, you'll be glad you did! The aforementioned World Market has it all the time as well.

I hope that helps you search for the next great carbonated flavor. :p

Anyone here from the UK may have spotted 'Rio Tropical' at the back of the shelves in small convenience stores. I spend the better part of my days looking for these cans.

That drink is a little bit of heaven, though it's been months since my last find. I may never taste that sweet beverage again...one can only hope.

I don't often drink pop anymore but when I do I go for a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper from Sonic. :)

I also just had the chance to try Orange Coke and Raspberry coke at a Five Guys from their Coke Freestyle machines. It was very interesting to say the least!

Do you have any stores around you that sell retro brand glass bottle pops, Grooves? That's the only thing I keep stocked in my theater fridge. Many of them differ from "standard" coke or pepsi flavors and also use sweet sweet cane sugar. A real treat every time someone has one. They sell sampler 12 packs at a lot of places. Those are doubly fun because you never know which one you'll grab.

Glass bottled soda is next to godliness I agree. The closest thing I can find is Mexican imported glass bottle coke and Pepsi. Only problem here is that it retails for about $1 per 12oz glass bottle.

I did finally try Fanta. I got orange, strawberry, and grape. Pretty yummy stuff.

Any others?

Anyone here from the UK may have spotted 'Rio Tropical' at the back of the shelves in small convenience stores. I spend the better part of my days looking for these cans.

That drink is a little bit of heaven, though it's been months since my last find. I may never taste that sweet beverage again...one can only hope.

Holy crap...I'm in the states and I have tasted it. I thought it was just a new thing some soda maker was experimenting with at grocery outlet...I was nothing less than amazed.

It's from the UK?! O_O

• 2 weeks later...
Before I continue, health concerns:

I did not know First Lady Michelle Obama was a forum member. :xp:

@Rhett - Sonic ice makes everything better...

Anyone driving around Texas, stop at Buc-ee's.

They are known for their clean restrooms nationally, but for my money Buc-ees is a drink shop. About every flavor and yes Rhett you can get a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper and Buc-ees ice is just as good as Sonic's and Buc-ee's price is cheaper than Sonic.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

1) Sprite Aruba Jam Remix (no longer in production)

Was like a lovely grape berry citrus sprite, really tasty and I enjoyed it to the bitter end.

2) Vanilla Coke/Coke Vanilla

The classic, used to drink outrageous quantities of this stuff until it was discontinued. Still drink it on occasion now that its back.

3) Mountain Dew Livewire

LOVE this stuff, definitely my favorite mountain dew.

4) Mountain Dew Voltage

Was my favorite mountain dew for a while, loved repping it while it was contending for an official slot. The other two (light purple and light blue) didn't stand a chance IMO

5) Coca-Cola Classic

Just because, still my favorite classic over pepsi and original mountain dew.

6) Cherry Coke

Conveniently popular and equally delicious.

7) Mountain Dew Whiteout

New enough where I try to avoid it but still delicious and refreshing.

I used to tank on soda when I could, these days I try to avoid mass consumption preferring coffee and tea, especially chamomile.

I have no idea whether it's from the UK or not, but it's definitely here and has been for over 10 years. You're right though, it's only in small convenience stores, never in the big 'uns.

A mystery maybe? But a tasty mystery, for sure.

Holy crap...I'm in the states and I have tasted it. I thought it was just a new thing some soda maker was experimenting with at grocery outlet...I was nothing less than amazed.

It's from the UK?! O_O

Hmm, I'll be sure to try that Rio Tropical if I ever spot it. ;)

The only soft drink I drink on a regular basis is Diet Coke. When I went to Florida I was totally hooked on Mountain Dew. I wish there was an easy way to buy it over here apart from buying it online. For some reason I can only find Diet Mountain Dew in the shops.

• 3 months later...
<snip> When I went to Florida I was totally hooked on Mountain Dew. I wish there was an easy way to buy it over here apart from buying it online. For some reason I can only find Diet Mountain Dew in the shops.

I like mixing the Baja Blast Mountain Dew (the slightly bluish green one) with the pink lemonade whenever I go to Taco Bell here in the U.S. It makes an interesting citrus-y flavor, and turns it a silver/gray color when you mix it up just right. Actually friends an family tease it looks like dirty soapy dishwater. :p But they all agree it tastes great if a bit tart.

Archived