Home

Avengers Assemble

I saw the movie myself last friday. Loved it! The action-y bits were quite impressive, but nothing's better than the heroes giving each other a hard time. Hehe. Was a bit worried all those heroes in one movie wouldn't really work, but it really did. It does help if you've seen the previous Marvel movies, of course, but it does work on its own.

Gotta say, Hiddleston's Loki is an amazing villain. I hope he sticks around for Thor 2 and Avengers 2 if that ever happens.

Yeah Hiddleston was amazing. One of the best Marvel movie villains ever. Mark Ruffalo was a great Hulk too they handled his character really well. Yeah those movies will definitely happen I'm sure and I can't get enough of them! I hope Whedon will have a hand in Avengers 2 though.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Seeing Thanos at the end just made me pee a little with even more excitement!!!

Joss Whedon you are my hero. Most epic movie!

This. Easily the best super hero film I've ever seen, so completely action packed and hillariously funny in places. The script was amazing.

Gotta say, Hiddleston's Loki is an amazing villain. I hope he sticks around for Thor 2 and Avengers 2 if that ever happens.

There are four Marvel Studios flicks confirmed and scheduled. Iron Man 3 on 3rd May 2013 followed by Thor 2 on 15th November 2013. The Captain America sequel is penned for 4th April 2014. The fourth film (scheduled for 16th May 2014) has yet to be titled but could very well be the next Avengers film. Or a Mark Ruffalo Hulk.

Just saw it. I was entertained, but it was in no way a masterpiece as many people say.

Very overrated movie.

^ This.

Was a big meh for me. Plot was predictable as duck, especially the conflicts between the heroes, as were the fight scenes (except Hulk vs Loki - that was pure gold).

I agree that Loki was a great character, however. I also liked Mark Ruffalo's representation of the Hulk.

Was a big meh for me. Plot was predictable as duck, especially the conflicts between the heroes,

I agree. It was all too forced. Specially some one-liners/jokes.

I agree that Loki was a great character, however. I also liked Mark Ruffalo's representation of the Hulk.

That's true, Mark was great.

A lot of the criticisms are well founded even though it is a pretty entertaining movie. The thing I liked most about it though were the smaller character interactions, like Stark and Banner's scientist geekouts.

Also, Milt... your link must be lying, cause after all... piracy is killing Hollywood.

Who said it needs to be a Shakespeare play?

The Pope.

Who said comic book adaptations are immune to criticism?

I like the Nolan Batman movies better... this was just Iron Man and Friends... which is great, cause I loved both Iron Man movies... but it's still a valid criticism.

I love the Nolan Batman movies too he's done an amazing job with them. This movie though (if you're a comic book fan) ticks all the right boxes for a flawless comic book adaptation because it has so much detail and love for the genre in it. But it also keeps it accessible for people not too familiar with the genre and a newer generation of fans whilst blending together a lot of established characters in a well thought out manner. TBH I don't see Nolan doing that, he's good at what he does, Whedon did an epic job with this one.

People saying "oh the story is so predictable blablabla" are just criticising for the sake of it, it's a Marvel movie what did they expect? It's like going to watch a Pixar film and moan about it being animated 3D, utterly pointless :thmbup1:

I don't know about the others, but the predictable part for me was the fact that Iron Man would do 98% of all the cool stuff... and he did. So yeah, to me, the criticism is valid :p Just take the fact that not everyone is going to gush over the movie and think it's the greatest thing ever.

People saying "oh the story is so predictable blablabla" are just criticising for the sake of it, it's a Marvel movie what did they expect? It's like going to watch a Pixar film and moan about it being animated 3D, utterly pointless :thmbup1:

Sorry, but that Pixar comparison is a bad strawman. Why shouldn't Marvel movies be criticized for the story (or anything else) like the rest?

I see too much hypocrisy on some reviews I've read when they disregard character development and story, rate it a 9/10, and at the same time criticize other superhero movies on those parts. They let their fanboyism speak louder.

Just take the fact that not everyone is going to gush over the movie and think it's the greatest thing ever.

This.

I don't know about the others, but the predictable part for me was the fact that Iron Man would do 98% of all the cool stuff... and he did. So yeah, to me, the criticism is valid :p Just take the fact that not everyone is going to gush over the movie and think it's the greatest thing ever.

I liked it, but I was a bit disappointed that they chose to focus on Iron Man, especially when at times he's been a massive **** in the comics. And I get that this an adaptation, and he's still one of Earth's greatest heroes, but after reading some of the more notable ones it's difficult to see him solely as the playboy-genius-billionaire.

Archived