Home

Star Wars: The Darkness Within

"Something is jamming the signal either here or at the other end. I can't tell."

Of course it got jammed, republic security is pathetic. He thought to himself.

"I wouldn't be suprised at all if it was from our end, for every loyal soldier comes three more traitors."

"And why are we even here? Voleran already has a huge head start on us, if we don't get moving we'll loose him again."

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I wouldn't be suprised at all if it was from our end, for every loyal soldier comes three more traitors."

Zarev sighed and tried to refrain from whacking Corsail over the head with something. "Corsail...these men fight and die for the Republic. I dare you to say that to a squad of them and see how they react."

"And why are we even here? Voleran already has a huge head start on us, if we don't get moving we'll loose him again."

The jedi was rapidly becoming angry with Corsail. Had he forgotten that Kif was still sitting in a speeder? Apparently he had.

"We are here because Kif is badly injured and requires medical attention. Or have you forgotten? If you have a problem with this mission feel free to take it up with me after Kif gets medical care!"

He turned to look at the group and pointed at Avriela. "Avriela, I want you to go and get Kif from the speeder and bring him to the medical bay. I'm trusting you to watch over him while we go after Voleran. Keep a close eye on the medical equipment and if anything goes wrong call one of the medical staff."

The former sith nodded and headed out towards the speeder.

"C'mon Light, you're going to help me carry Kif inside.", he said while the others walked inside.

He took a glance and saw Avriela walking out a little bit later. "Or...she can get it. I'll see you inside."

Varik walked past Avriela and into the hallway, catching up with Zarev and the others.

"We are here because Kif is badly injured and requires medical attention. Or have you forgotten? If you have a problem with this mission feel free to take it up with me after Kif gets medical care!"

"Corsail, you're really making me want to drive a spike through your head.", he said, shaking his head disapprovingly.

Per'dra stifled a chuckle just in time. Corsail, you never fail to bring out the worst in all of us, when the best is what we need to be... She followed the others to the medical bay at the Republic headquarters, hoping that Kif would recover fully and quickly. "Mind if I take a quick look around and try to figure out what's jamming the signal?"

Corsail scowled Zarev, "And have you forgotten the reason Kif is in this condition is because one of our own crew?"

He let out a short sigh, "I just don't think we should stay here too long, if Kif is going to have to stay for awhile we need to leave him here and continue the mission. We can alway pick him back up after they fix him up."

"Corsail, you're really making me want to drive a spike through your head.",

"Why don't you just try it? I'm sick of you and your stupid jedi code that you don't even follow! I wish every jedi would just drop-" He cut himself off.

"Nevermind, i'm going outside to see if I can patch up that speeder." He left the outpost and walked up to the busted speeder, he could barely see anything because of how dark it was, but he tried to make a few minor repairs anyway.

"Mind if I take a quick look around and try to figure out what's jamming the signal?"

"Go right ahead." Zarev said as he looked at the medical bay for a moment to see how advanced it was. It looked like it could handle Kif's injuries. "I don't like the fact that we've only been here for a few minutes and someone is already jamming us."

"And have you forgotten the reason Kif is in this condition is because one of our own crew?"

"I just don't think we should stay here too long, if Kif is going to have to stay for awhile we need to leave him here and continue the mission. We can alway pick him back up after they fix him up."

"I am not leaving Kif here alone. And you need to realize that it was not Varik who did this to Kif. It was a Sith Lord who had possession of his body. You need to get over it."

Avriela walked in gently carrying Kif's limp form. "I'll stay here with him while you deal with Voleran if you can catch up with him in time. I promise you, I'll guard him with my life if necessary."

She gently set Kif's body down on the medical bed and turned to Per'dra. "Can you help me hook him up to the equipment? I know how to treat lightsaber burns but I'm not sure how to hook him up to the monitors."

Light began examining the speeder he'd driven after having helped Avriela get Kif out of it.

Under the hood, there were a couple of old pieces of wiring that had almost given out in a couple of places, which he could see thanks to the light from his lightsaber. Luckily he could replace it with some he'd found in a nearby toolkit. He closed the hood after this and jumped into the driver's seat, deactivating his saber and replacing it on his belt.

Turning the ignition of the speeder it revved to life more powerfully than before. The headlight turned on, and, while testing the turning of the speeder, Light noticed Corsail bent over the messed up speeder. He parked it again in the original spot and walked over to him.

"Hey, everything alright? Do you need a hand?"

"Hey, everything alright? Do you need a hand?"

Corsail looked up from the busted speeder he was working to see who had just walked up. What do you care if i'm alright? he thought to himself.

"I'm fine." He said through gritted teeth, "And no I don't need help with this blasted speeder." Though he realised those words probably sounded pretty stupid if Light was paying any attention to the condition the engine was in.

"I do have a question though, do you follow the jedi code?"

"Certainly, Avriela." As a part of her Padawan studies, Per'dra had been given the choice by her former master, Yun Xiaolin, to specialize in certain areas of training over others. She had chosen two: combat and medicine. She was unskilled in the ways of espionage and machine repair, but her skill in the former two arts was almost unmatched among her peers. Thus, she nodded at the Twi'lek. "All of these various wires, tubes and medbay machines look intimidating, but they become as familiar as the back of your hand once you know how to use them." Carefully, she hooked Kif up to the equipment she had just mentioned. "There. That ought to do it, although I ought to double-check everything." With Avriela's help, she did, teaching her along the way. "Piece of cake! Now it's time to try and see what's jamming Grand Master Shan's signal."

"I don't, but that's the reason I don't belong to their Order. We disagreed on some of the key points. I'm still good friends with some of them, but I tend to follow my own moral code.

You know, that thing looks more messed up than when I pushed it. Have you been banging on it? That tube shouldn't be falling out like that. Do you know what you're doing?"

Do I know this guy from somewhere? I'd swear I'd met him before all of this... Maybe Varik knows.

"I don't, but that's the reason I don't belong to their Order. We disagreed on some of the key points. I'm still good friends with some of them, but I tend to follow my own moral code."

Corsail nodded, "Thats what I thought, you took their training, then abandoned the jedi order."

You know, that thing looks more messed up than when I pushed it. Have you been banging on it? That tube shouldn't be falling out like that. Do you know what you're doing?"

Corsail felt insulted, he'd been flying his star ship for years and had done some pretty major repairs on it, for someone to assume that he didn't know what he was doing with a speeder angered him.

"Yeah, that happens when you drive a half broken speeder at top speed. And also, it's kind of hard to do repairs in total darkness." Just as the words left his mouth the engine completely blew out, sending sparks flying in different directions.

Corsail snapped his blasters out of thier holsters in a split second out of reflex, then quickly holstered them again after he realised what had happened. "You have got to be joking!" he crouched back down beside the speeder to take a look.

"Great, now I need a whole new engine for this thing."

"I wouldn't say it that way, but other people can judge my actions in whatever light they want."

Light watched the events unfold, raising a hand only to shield his eyes from the sparks.

"I wouldn't worry about it. Give it to the Republic soldiers for scrap. We can either procure a new one while we wait for Kif to get better, or there will be enough seats if we leave him here."

((Sorry for the long wait, I was away from my home computer for a few days.))

"Piece of cake! Now it's time to try and see what's jamming Grand Master Shan's signal."

Zarev thought about what was happening for a moment. "I think it's safe to say that we're being monitored by someone or something. The signal wasn't jammed until after a few moments into the conversation."

He turned to look at the group and thought again. "It can't be anyone here since we would have sensed it...And I doubt Vlalkor had any motive to do it since he's with Havoc Squad."

He turned to Per'dra for a moment. "Is it possible that someone could be monitoring use either through some sort of listening device or through the force itself? If so...we most likely have a serious security breach."

"I wouldn't worry about it. Give it to the Republic soldiers for scrap. We can either procure a new one while we wait for Kif to get better, or there will be enough seats if we leave him here."

"I don't think we have any time to wait for Kif to heal, if we don't get back to the mission we'll lose Voleran again." Corsail turned to look at the entrance to the outpost, "Someone jammed our signal, which probably means the enemy knows where we are."

"Maybe you should help Zarev waste time looking for where it's coming from, thats what everyone else is doing."

He turned and looked out into the darkness, "I can't shake the feeling that someone is watching us."

"Maybe you should help Zarev waste time looking for where it's coming from, thats what everyone else is doing."

"I don't see the point in that. For all we know, it could've been jammed from the other side. I'm more content to do something that will get us ready for the next part of our little quest."

"I can't shake the feeling that someone is watching us."

"I'm not the only one then, huh?"

Light walked over to the speeder he'd driven and sat on the back of it.

"Do you need anything? I'm going to see what I can do to get supplies for the group, so I'll ask them in a bit."

"Do you need anything? I'm going to see what I can do to get supplies for the group, so I'll ask them in a bit."

Yeah, I could use two million credits. He thought to himself. "I guess I need some extra energy packs for my blasters if you can get any, I was running low."

Corsail started towards the outpost entrance, "I'm going to see how long they intend to stay here."

"I'm not very familiar with blaster technology. Energy packs... What do they look like again? And do you need a certain kind?"

Corsail unholstered one of his blasters and pulled the energy pack out, "This is what an energy pack looks like, this kind is pretty common, and i'd be suprised if a military outpost like this doesn't carry any extra."

He placed the energy pack back into the blaster and locked it in, "They don't have to be the same kind as I have now, they just need to be compatible with my DTB-27Bolt blaster pistols, which should be mostly anything, as long as you can tell the size difference from a blaster pistol and a blaster rifle energy pack."

He entered the room where Zarev and some of the others were and stopped.

"Still wasting their time I see." He said in a low voice.

Varik found himself staring at a terminal for several minutes, sorting through several processes in order to most effectively trace the signal. Thankfully, the signal was targeting mainly the communications grid, and not the local power network. After switching from local high-powered scans, he decided to amplify it with a thermal scan.

"I think I found the source.", he said out loud. "It's relatively close by."

"Keep an eye on Kif, okay?", he said to Zarev as he approached Light and Corsail, whom were just entering.

"I'm going to go scout around and eliminate the source of the signal jamming, you two are free to join me, if you wish.", he said to them. "Unless if you'd rather stand around all day."

"This is what an energy pack looks like, this kind is pretty common, and i'd be suprised if a military outpost like this doesn't carry any extra."

"Two per blaster will do, right? So four total."

"Still wasting their time I see."

Light smiled slightly, with only the corners of his mouth turning up at the quiet statment.

"I'm going to go scout around and eliminate the source of the signal jamming, you two are free to join me, if you wish."

Light scratched the back of his head and answered "I have stuff I need to do. Corsail was just looking for something to do though. Oh, and before you go, do you need any supplies or anything for our trip?"

"Two per blaster will do, right? So four total."

"Correct." He said, as Varik walked up.

"I'm going to go scout around and eliminate the source of the signal jamming, you two are free to join me, if you wish."

"Whats the matter? Scared the sith might get you if you wander out by yourself?"

"I have stuff I need to do. Corsail was just looking for something to do though.

"I'm just ready to get back to the mission, and this just seems like a waste of time. If I had it my way, we would have dropped off the twilek in the medbay and left by now."

"What are you expecting to find out there anyway? And how far away is it?'

"Whats the matter? Scared the sith might get you if you wander out by yourself?"

"I've learned from personal experience that it's foolish to investigate alone.", Varik replied.

"I have stuff I need to do. Corsail was just looking for something to do though. Oh, and before you go, do you need any supplies or anything for our trip?"

"Not really. Maybe a grenade or so."

"I'm just ready to get back to the mission, and this just seems like a waste of time. If I had it my way, we would have dropped off the twilek in the medbay and left by now. What are you expecting to find out there anyway? And how far away is it?"

"It's only a few kilometers away. At the most, I'm expecting an entire base. At the least, a small outpost. I think a specific person is blocking out the signal - most definitely a Dark Jedi, but I'm not sure."

"Correct."

"Not really. Maybe a grenade or so."

"Okay, so I'll see what I can do about a fragmentation grenade or two. I don't know if they'd have other kinds, so I'll stick to the most common kind." Light said this to inform Varik, but it seemed more like thinking aloud.

Light began to walk towards the others, spotting Zarev first, and moving in his direction. Once he was close, he said:

"Hey Zarev, you need any supplies?"

Republic Outpost

Balmorra

"Keep an eye on Kif, okay?",

Zarev turned and smiled. "Don't worry, I won't let anyone hurt him." he said quietly as he looked over at Per'dra.

"I think Zarev is onto something. The one who's monitoring us seems to be doing it either through the Force or some technological method that I've never seen."

"In either case, we need to be on our guard." He said as he looked over at Varik.

"It's only a few kilometers away. At the most, I'm expecting an entire base. At the least, a small outpost. I think a specific person is blocking out the signal - most definitely a Dark Jedi, but I'm not sure."

"You don't think it could be Voleran do you?" Zarev asked. "If he is the one jamming us, I would recommend retreating if you run into him."

Avriela walked out of the room after overhearing some of the coversation. "I'd be happy to come along and help out."

"Hey Zarev, you need any supplies?"

Zarev smiled. "Thank you for offering but I'm good. I think that now would be a good idea to check the insides of our weapons though. Just to make sure we don't have any problems while in combat."

Archived