Home

Star Wars: The Darkness Within

Varik's groggy eyes suddenly widened. "You've got to be kidding me. I haven't even eaten in 5 days."

He held his lightsaber hilts in his hands, and looked at Light. "C'mon, let's get this over with."

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laughing while he said it, Light responded to Varik, "Well, if you're willing to risk the disease, I can make a Rakhghoul stew."

Light appeared emotionless as he turned away from the group to go to the exit ramp, and he knew that some of the people here could be killed in the battle. I hope we all live through this.

He didn't currently feel the need to draw his weapons and instead moved to the exit ramp with his right hand in his pocket, and the left resting on top of the saber of the same side. Remembering Zarev, and, as a result, all of the people who had died near him, he whispered, "For the Republic, and the dead we have left behind." Brother, Father, Mom, and so many more... When will it stop?

Per'dra readied her saberstaff. "It's not rakghouls I fear. Even if I become one of them, there's no way any monster can frighten me worse than Voleran. He already has Zarev, but he won't claim any more of us. Not if I have anything to say about it..." Her eyes were cold.

"It's not rakghouls I fear. Even if I become one of them, there's no way any monster can frighten me worse than Voleran. He already has Zarev, but he won't claim any more of us. Not if I have anything to say about it..."

I'm Ready, Lets stop Voleran

Vlalkor looked over the group with pride in his eyes and a smile on his face. Before he headed for the ramp though, he accessed the Shan's external cameras to check and see if there were any Rakghouls waiting outside the Shan for them. There were a small number of them heading past the Shan and two of them were clawing at the hull.

"We've got two Ghouls outside the hull and a few more heading in the general direction of the Spaceport control center. I think the Republic troops can handle the group heading for control center but we can't let them get at the Shan's interior parts. Sooner or later they're going to realize that there are still holes in the hull from Balmorra that they can get into."

Vlalkor headed for the ramp and lowered the ramp down low enough that he was able to get a clear shoot at the two ghouls and shot them both in the head. Vlalkor smiled and lowered the ramp down the entire way and stood down at the entrance.

"Are you all ready?" He asked as he scanned the area for more ghouls. Avriela headed down the ramp and ignited her own double bladed lightsaber and shook her head.

There's something here...it's so familiar but I can't quite place it...She thought to herself.

Light walked down the ramp with a nod, while he removed his hand from his pocket with the Sith's saber in it and had one of his own saber's in his left. He left them unignited, and would continue to do so untill combat began.

"We can't just protect the Shan. And there are too many holes to simply cover them up. What are we going to do? Split up?" He directed his question to Vlalkor, wondering if that had been his plan since they had begun landing procedures.

• 1 month later...

Corsail walked down the ramp behind Light, both blasters drawn and at the ready. He looked around, scanning the hanger bay of any nearby rakghouls, but saw no immediate threat.

"We can't just protect the Shan. And there are too many holes to simply cover them up. What are we going to do? Split up?"

"I think we should, we can't just leave the ship behind to be torn up by rakghouls I suppose...." He paused as he saw six rakghouls heading their way, "Can't we just stick somebody in the ship's turret and be on our way?" He said, checking both of his blaster's one more time to make sure they were both ready for use.

((Well, I have more time to be on here now so I can post more.))

"I think we should, we can't just leave the ship behind to be torn up by rakghouls I suppose....Can't we just stick somebody in the ship's turret and be on our way?"

Vlalkor stuck his head back in the ship for a moment. "If I can get the shields back up and send the controls to a remote we can leave the Shan for a little while at least. But I think it would be best if I stuck back here and did repairs. Best part of this is is that I can program the turrents to target Rakghoul lifesigns and open up on them. But like I said, I should probably stick around to make sure nothing goes wrong."

Avriala shook her head again. Something or somone one this planet felt very familiar to her.

"Avriela? What's wrong?" asked Per'dra gently. "Do you see or hear something?" She quickly checked the immediate area for rakghouls, but didn't see any - at least, not yet. "Whatever we do when we split up, I think we should have a backup plan in case one of us...gets possessed." She hated to say it, and the very thought made her stomach churn with fear.

"Avriela? What's wrong? Do you see or hear something?"

"I...I don't know what it is." She said quietly as she reached out through the force. For a moment...just for a moment...she could feel the presence of someone very familiar. And then it shut herself off from her.

Her mouth widend in shock and her mouth was wide open. She slowly turned to Per'dra and whispered something that she still couldn't believe despite just touching his presence a moment ago.

"By the force...Zarev...It's Zarev. He's here." She whispered to Per'dra in amazement. "But...I thought he was dead. He died on Balmorra."

Ruined city

Taris

The man with the black robes smiled as he watched Zarev approach from below. The rakghouls that he had taken control of to defend his ship were proving no match for the jedi. He rasied his voice and called out.

"Surrender Jedi! You have no idea of what your getting into. There are powers here far beyond your understanding."

Zarev looked up and narrowed his eyes.

"Hello Master Voleran...or do you go by another name now?"

Light saw the group of six Rakghouls and started following them with his eyes.

"This is a difficult thing to plan for. We know he will probably try, but he is directing a large number of Rakghouls. I'd hope he'd be a bit preoccupied. If you feel yourself losing control, attempt to make a hand signal like this--" he raised his hand with his index and middle fingers down, but the rest up-- "We'll know what's going on and try to spare you, or at least end you quickly." Light steeled himself as he said the last bit, knowing it was a possibility, but hoping it wouldn't come down to that.

"Alright, we should leave someone here with you, Vlalkor, just in case. I'll take the rest with me. I'd like to go after Voleran, but we don't know where he is. Helping the Republic forces has a definite location, but we are going to be fighting a practically endless battle against Rakghouls. So, what should we do Vlalkor? And who do you want to stay with you?"

The group of Rakghouls was getting closer now.

"Alright, we should leave someone here with you, Vlalkor, just in case. I'll take the rest with me. I'd like to go after Voleran, but we don't know where he is. Helping the Republic forces has a definite location, but we are going to be fighting a practically endless battle against Rakghouls. So, what should we do Vlalkor? And who do you want to stay with you?"

Vlalkor watched the group of Rakghouls get closer and closer and he thought about his choices quickly.

"I'd like to have Avriela stay with me." He said quietly. She shot a look over in Vlalkor's direction. "No offense intended. I just need someone with close quarter combat experience with me just in case."

Avriala sighed heavily. "No problem." She said turning away from Per'dra and heading over by Vlalkor. "Together we can most likely keep the Rakghouls away from the republic forces."

Ruined City

Taris

"I am no longer Voleran of the Jedi." The figure spoke quietly as Zarev forced jumped up from the ground towards Voleran as quickly as he could with his lightsaber ignited. He was jumping from various pieces of debris to get closer to him.

"I am now the Herald. He who shall bring the Galaxy to it's knees for the one who cloaks himself with Shadows. He is the one who will bring peace to this shattered galaxy. The jedi order, the Sith empire, they shall both fall before him. Even the Emperor of the Sith fears him."

Voleran extended his hand and a massive blast of lightning shot out that Zarev was barely able to dodge.

"As should you."

Per'dra sent a message to Avriela through the Force: He is one with the Force now. He can't still be alive - not after the fall he took, and his sacrifice! Still... Fighting back tears, she called out to him through the very energy of life. Zarev! If you are there, and still among the living, know that I love you!

Avriela felt a tear begin to gather in the corner of her eye as she heard Per'dra's message. She knew who and what she had sensed through the force even though it had only been a brief moment of contact. What she didn't know was that Zarev hadn't sensed her as of yet. But she didn't wish to bring Per'dra any pain.

He is one with the Force now. He can't still be alive - not after the fall he took, and his sacrifice! Still...

I know it seems impossible but the Galaxy is full of impossible things. He's alive Per'dra! I felt him in the force and even though it was only briefly he was free of whatever it was that held him in it's grasp on Balmorra.

Ruined City

Taris

Zarev! If you are there, and still among the living, know that I love you!

Zarev paused for just a moment as Per'dra message washed over him like a wave as Voleran gathered his energy about him. Joy and happiness washed over him like an ocean. I know, he sent back. It was hearing your love for me that helped me break free of the possesion back on Balmorra. I owe you my life Per'dra and that is why I'm fighting for you and the others even now.

He slowly turned back to Voleran as he heard a chuckle. "Ahhh...so the jedi has broken the laws of the Order. Whatever happend to "There is no Passion, There is Serenity?"

Voleran laughed. "I suppose that it was destined to happen. "But know this: Once I finish you, your friends will die. They interfered on Balmorra and killed the one whom was to be his Herald to the Sith Empire. Their continued existance will no longer be tolerated."

Zarev's eyes flashed once as he finally reached Voleran and held his lightsaber ignited in a battle stance.

"You will not harm Per'dra and the others, this I swear." He vowed as Voleran ignited his own lightsaber and the duel began.

Light overheard the messages and smiled, but tuned out future messages as the Rakghouls came to bear upon the group. He ignited the Sith's lightsaber and threw it, where it found a resting place in the skull of one of the Rakghouls. He deactivated it with the Force and drew his own lightsaber to replace the Sith's. Igniting both he moved forward, ready to fight with the remaining five Rakghouls.

"And so it begins." He said this while still smiling and going in to a battle ready stance.

"And so it begins."

The beginning of the end? What will happen if we fail to bring Voleran down? Do we even stand a- Corsail's thoughts were cut short as the rakghouls advanced within firing range. He'd never seen rakghouls before, so he didn't really know how they would act under normal circumstances, but right now they were under the influence of Voleran, which will only make them more trouble then they would be normally.

Corsail aimed his blasters towards the group of rakghouls and fired a spray of blaster bolts, killing one, and injuring another. The other three broke apart and charged individually, jumping from cover to cover.

((Sorry for the wait, been busy))

Voleran unleashed a stream of lightning from his left hand as he came at Zarev with his lightsaber ignited in the right hand. He launched the lightsaber at Zarev as he unleashed the stream of lightning, forcing Zarev to roll to the left as he force pushed Voleran back only to have Voleran capture the blast of energy and manage to redirect it away from him.

"Nice trick." Zarev muttered as he watched Voleran's lightsaber return to the hand. "You may have once been been a Jedi Master but i've learned a few things myself."

Zarev force jumped at him and in mid-jump he summoned a large amount of debris and threw it at Voleran who was barely able to dodge it and was left open to an attack by Zarev's lightsaber which he was barely able to parry.

The two of them continued attacking each other, dodging and parrying each other's attacks without hitting each other. At this stage of the battle, the two of them were testing each other's strength, looking for weaknesses.

Voleran smiled. "Perhaps when I kill you...I'll take your friend Per'dra to my master and have her become the Herald to the Sith Empire."

Zarev's rage could be felt through the force as he jumped over Voleran's blade. "Per'dra will never turn! I'll die before I let you get to her!"

"You are correct. You will die." Voleran said calmly.

Taris Spaceport

Vlalkor watched as the Rakghouls got closer and he pulled a concussion grenade off his belt and launched it at the far left Rakghoul and then launched a series of blaster bolts at it. He managed to hit one of it's legs and then once it staggered towards him he shot it through the head.

Per'dra was fighting her own battle against the vicious rakghouls, one of which had leapt toward her in a ferocious attack. Fortunately, she was ready, and the slobbering, snarling creature soon found itself cleft in half by her silver blades. Do they have enough intelligence to know when to retreat? Most likely not, because they've been driven mad by their disease. From what she'd learned, rakghouls had once been aliens and humans much like herself, who had turned on their friends and neighbors once infected. Another of them sprang forward.

"Per'dra will never turn! I'll die before I let you get to her!" This thought jolted through her mind and made her heart race. Without consciously knowing what she was doing, she sped away from the rakghouls and let the Force guide her. Zarev wouldn't stand a chance against Voleran unless he had help...

Vlalkor watched the sole remaining Rakghoul ran at them and saw promptly impaled on Avriela's lightsaber as she jumped behind the slobbering creature and impaled it. Avriela promptly withdrew the blade of energy from it, twirled the blade and deactivated it.

"Looks like that's the last of them." She said as she looked around and failed to see any more Rakghouls. "Now. We need to decide what to do." She said as she suddenly gripped her head as a deep voice boomed through the minds of each member of the group.

It seems that you have proved me wrong on several occasions. The voice of Voleran echoed. You have continued to defy the wishes of my Master and have slain his Herald to the Sith Empire. For this, your lives are now mine. I will continue to send my Rakghouls against the Republic forces on this world until they fall to my Master and become extensions of his will. Your friend who managed to defy my Master on Balmorra will be the first to die.

Taris

Ruined City

As Zarev jumped at Voleran again the former Jedi master managed to catch him in mid-leap and slammed him repeatedly against a ruined wall that caused pieces of rock to fall down among the two combatants. Zarev barely managed to grip the rocks and sent them flying at Voleran who was forced to drop him to dodge the attack.

"You are skilled." Voleran commented as he unleashed a stream of lightning at Zarev who was barely able to catch it on his lightsaber. Zarev smiled as he pointed above Voleran and Voleran slowly looked up and saw a cascade of rocks come down as Zarev brought his fist down in a slashing motion.

"I've learned a few things." Zarev commented back as Voleran barely managed to dodge the rocks. The former Jedi launched himself at Zarev with his lightsaber pointed directly at his chest.

Rakghouls, such dreadful creatures. Maybe if these beasts had a bit more intelligence they'd be almost considered useful. Instead they served as nothing more than fodder to this group. One by one they fell, each more useless than the last The cloaked figure watched this, shaking his head slightly. This group was currently in his way, which meant he'd have the pleasure of dealing with them. The figure watched as one of them suddenly started to sprint away from the group. A smirk appeared on his masked face, shaking his head once more as they made this way too easy for him. The others were finishing off the last of the Rakghoul with another jedi stabbing the last one.

The figure tilted his head to the right as he observed the second jedi. The face of hers...it was familiar. The smirk turned into a smile as he watched his secondary objective turn to look at the other members of the group. He would deal with her after he dealt with this other jedi. His armored fingers tapped on a rock lightly as he turned his head back towards the fleeing jedi. Where was she running to exactly? To be honest he didn't care as the thought briefly entered his mind. What concerned him more was how good of an entrance could he make. He was certain that more Rakghoul would show up soon, so he wouldn't have to worry about the group for some time.

It would be quite rude though is he didn't at least show his masked face to these "guests" of his. The terrain he stood on had done its job of hiding him for long enough now. He turned his head left and right slightly to crack his neck before making his way towards the edge. He turned and leaped down towards the ground below him, doing a few flips as he neared the targeted area. His feet hit the ground as his body was in a crouched position. His right hand was curled up into a fist as it too touched the ground. Slowly he stood up turning to look directly at Avriela.

He gazed at her for several seconds, but if felt like a much longer period of time. Everything about his appearance screamed sith warrior, even if his sabers were not out yet. The black robes, and the armor that accompanied them just weren't jedi material. The one thing that differentiated him from a normal looking sith warrior was his mask. A small red visor went across his mask giving it a slightly eerie glow when his hood was up. He broke his masked gaze from Avriela for only a few moments to look to the others in the group. Soon his head turned back to stare at the former sith.

"You're next," came his slightly distorted voice due to the mask.

He wasn't here to fight all of them just yet. Oh no, their time would come soon after he killed the lone jedi. He had picked her first simply because she was away from the group and he could fight her one on one. Had he tried to get Avriela first the others would more than likely come to her aid. That in itself was surprising. Were they not aware of her former alliance to the Sith Empire? He certainly hoped not as he would get the privilege of telling her little "friends" just who she was. Such joy it would bring him to watch the look of horror on her face. That would wait until he had killed the first jedi though. He brought two fingers towards his forehead and gave Avriela a mock salute before turning around and sprinting towards Per'dra. As he ran he concentrated on the force, wanting to get some extra speed to catch up to her. He wouldn't be denied his fight, and he was looking forward to every second of that.

Zarev, where are you? If I don't die, I'll help you take down Voleran -ah-! The incensed Jedi turned on her heel and saw the Sith warrior sprinting toward her. Without hesitating even for a moment, Per'dra threw her saberstaff toward him, aiming to slice off his head. The silver blades flashed, missed their mark, and then returned to her nearly faster than her reflexes could allow. Kriff! I'll get this piece of scum out of the way and then I'm coming to help you, love.

According to the Jedi Code, those such as she were to know no anger, nor fear, nor hatred, nor love. However, Per'dra had chosen to forsake all of her former allegiance to that abstract set of principles. Someone's life was at stake, and not just any someone. She was prepared to sacrifice her own life for any other member of this mission squad, even Corsail, but especially Zarev. "After I win this battle," she hissed through clenched teeth, "I'll win against your Master."

The sith warrior kept on course with his jedi target, the urge to fight growing with each step he took. He couldn't wait to clash sabers with her, to look at her facial expressions as they fought. He wanted to see if she'd be a worthy challenge, or nothing more than another dull kill. The jedi turned, and he guessed this was the part where she would turn around to face him. A silver blur dashed towards him at incredible speeds, forcing the sith warrior to duck and slide. The warrior listened as the blur came back, this time making him roll to the right. The jedi had not only initiated the first move, but halted his advance at the same time.

The sith got to a standing position as the jedi woman now turned to face him. Maybe she wasn't as cowardly as he thought. He gazed into her eyes, seeing not a keeper of peace but fierce determination. Not only that but he definitely anger and frustration in her eyes as well. He could hear that in the way she spoke to him. This only caused him to tilt his head as he eyed her up. On the outside he looked completely calm, but inside there was some concern along with excitement.

"Such hostile words for such a pretty face," came his reply.

Despite the woman's anger, she was indeed attractive. The flirtation on his end wasn't genuine though, more to infuriate her further. His hand casually moved towards his belt, pulling out a single lightsaber from it. He activated the blade as he watched the jedi woman. He was going to play off her anger and give himself a good fight from it.

"Don't worry, I'll make your death quick and painless" he said before lunging towards the jedi, swinging his blade diagonally at her.

When Per'dra fled, Light wasn't immediately concerned. This battle was well in hand. Upon the final kill, he detected movement and turned to see some flashy Sith do a few flips before landing.

When the Sith threatened Avriela, Light started to advance on him, but he had turned away before he could get there. "The hell..?"

The guy ran off. At first Light thought Coward but then he realized the direction he had taken was similar to that of Per'dra, and began to start off after him. He paused, turned, and called out to the members of the team that would be with him.

"To me! We have a new foe to face!"

Without looking to see if they would be with him, he took off at a run to catch up with this stranger. He wasn't using the Force to speed himself up, as he intended for the others to be running with him, including Corsail. Consequently, he quickly fell behind, though he wasn't out of sight of the runner.

Varik was just casually walking down the boarding ramp when he heard Light's order. He sprinted after him.

"What's going on?", he asked as he ran alongside Light.

"You're next,"

Avriala narrowed his eyes and a wave of rage flowed through her as she watched as the sith warrior ran after Per'dra.

"Velox." She snarled as she began running after him. I heard rumors that they may have sent a full fledged Darth after me but why did it have to be him?

She had seen Velox once before at the academy. Only once but he had nearly scared the life out of her with the display of power she had seen from him.

I am no longer sith. If that means that I'm going to die defending a former enemy than so be it.

Avriela continued running until she managed to run past the ground and then force jumped up onto a small piece of ruined building and watched for only a moment as Per'dra and Velox fought.

"Don't worry, I'll make your death quick and painless"

She ignited her double bladed lightsaber and landed a bit out of range of the fight.

"I'm afraid that yours won't be." She said as she launched herself at the sith and went right for his legs as she attacked fast and low with a sweeping slash.

"Per'dra." She said as she began her attack. "Go on. Go find Zarev and help him. Don't worry, I can handle this."

Taris

Spaceport

Vlalkor grabbed his rifle as he ran alongside Light and the others. "Just when I thought we were in the clear, another sith shows up. I saw the way he looked at Avriela. Friend of hers you think?"

Taris

Ruined city

Kriff! I'll get this piece of scum out of the way and then I'm coming to help you, love.

Zarev was distracted for a moment. Just a moment but that was enough for Voleran to hit him with a powerful force push that sent him flying backward. He was barely able to dodge the lightsaber attack and ended up staggering to his feet as Voleran unleashed a massive blast of lighting that he was barely able to catch on his lightsaber blade.

Per'dra...she must have run into trouble. He thought as he attempted to close the gap between Voleran and himself only to find that Voleran couldn't push the lightning towards him and he couldn't push the lightning back.

"Do you really think you can win?!" He shouted over the sounds of the lightning. "I can hold out longer than you can Master Voleran. Eventually you will lose your concentration and then I'll be free to finsh you off."

"Perhaps!" Voleran shouted back. "But eventually this will be too much for you to bear. Your defenses will fall and I will end your interference in my Master's plans."

Per'dra winked at Avriela. "Just in case," she said softly, and then launched Velox into the air with a Force Whirlwind. Spinning around, he looked rather silly, and the Jedi took this opportunity to sprint even harder toward Zarev's presence in the Force. "There's no way you'll die on my watch. I'll perish first. Mark me!" At last, she came upon her true love being battered by Voleran. Igniting her saberstaff once more, she intended to plunge it straight into his spinal cord.

Archived