Home

Star Wars: The Darkness Within

"Feels good to be up and walking again." He said with a smile as he approached the two of them. "What's the status of the ship?"

Corsail looked up from the console he was repairing as Zarev walked in, "It's still kinda strange seeing you back on the ship again, most people don't get back up after throwing themselves of a cliff you know?"

"Just about done. Just need to fix this up and we're done."

Corsail nodded, "Yeah, the Shan was busted up pretty badly so it took longer then we should have spent here, but you and Per'dra needed the rest, so I guess it worked out for the best."

He let a brief sigh as he stood up from the one knee he had been standing on, "I know you haven't had much time to think about it while you were sleeping but, what are we going to do about our new sith friend? Will he coming with us to Voss or will he be taking his leave?"

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light had finished up his repairs and was reviewing some of the others when he noticed a loose bolt. When he went to turn it, it clicked, and a sharp piece of metal struck the area where his head had been. Was that a trap or an accident? He wondered as he sliced of the sharp piece of metal jutting from the wall using a light saber. Then, using the force to hold it in place, he welded it over the crack in the plating where it had come from.

Shortly after, he walked back aboard the ship, noticing the conversation going on. However, he was still lost in thought and continued plodding towards the cockpit to check the systems there.

Per'dra, after coming out of her healing trance, thought that she heard something strange - a click, a clunk, and then a few gasps. She saw Light heading toward the cockpit.

"Erm...is everything all right? How are the ship repairs coming? I'm sorry I couldn't help."

Somehow, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss, even after all they had tried to do to fix the vessel.

"Huh, oh yeah. Well, you know how it is. We had to make a lot of repairs, so we made some creative use of the materials we had. Plus, sometimes, I feel like some of these guys just connected things because they felt like it. We are in pretty good shape though, considering. How was your "nap" if you don't mind me asking?"

Light still needed to run a short diagnostic on the computer systems to make sure that it was all calibrated correctly, so he made a little gesture inviting Per'Dra to walk with him to the cockpit.

Varik had finished his repairs some time ago and had since been lounging about lazily in the main hold. He thought he had heard a clank outside, and shortly thereafter saw Light and Per'dra.

"Sometimes, I feel like some of these guys just connected things because they felt like it."

Varik was aware that many of his repairs were... less than satisfactory. Indeed, his true calling was the way of the blade, not of the fusion cutter. Still, he couldn't help but let out a small chuckle.

"Now you listen here mister.", Varik said with a smirk, pointing his finger, "I'll have you know that it generally works. Most of the time." He let out a short pause between his last two statements.

Light smiled sheepishly and shrugged at Varik. "Right, so that repair you made on the hull right outside your room will 'generally' work in space. I mean, if not, then it could only rip the air out of your lungs so we won't even hear you scream, right?"

Light winked at Varik, to make it more obvious that he was kidding. "And this is why we recheck all of the repairs, like the one that almost cut me down outside. Anyways, I've got a diagnostic to run in the cockpit. We can all walk and talk if you'd like."

"Right, so that repair you made on the hull right outside your room will 'generally' work in space. I mean, if not, then it could only rip the air out of your lungs so we won't even hear you scream, right?"

Varik widened his eyes in horror as he remembered the half-attempted repair job he made near his room. He would have protested until he realized that Light was only kidding.

"You have a very morbid sense of humor.", Varik quipped. "I'm going to get nightmares thanks to you."

"And this is why we recheck all of the repairs, like the one that almost cut me down outside. Anyways, I've got a diagnostic to run in the cockpit. We can all walk and talk if you'd like."

Varik paused. "Actually, I'd like to talk to you two about something that has been bothering me for a while." He directed this to both of them, but more specifically to Per'dra. "In private, assuming there's someone in the cockpit."

He silently wondered to himself if that faulty repair he did outside was the one Light was talking about. If need be, he could probably pin the blame on Corsail. It would, after all, be quite entertaining to see the results.

"Of course, Varik." Per'dra certainly wondered what he was talking about, but she also had an eerily uncanny sense that whatever he wished to discuss had to do with her specifically. "I don't think there'll be anyone else in the cockpit besides us. By the way, I think you've done a commendable job on ship repairs, seeing as I wasn't there to help." Not that such things are my general area of expertise, but I could have at least measured a few metal pipes and the like.

She started walking toward the Shan's cockpit, slightly uneasy. There is no emotion; there is peace...

"Yeah, the Shan was busted up pretty badly so it took longer then we should have spent here, but you and Per'dra needed the rest, so I guess it worked out for the best."

He let a brief sigh as he stood up from the one knee he had been standing on, "I know you haven't had much time to think about it while you were sleeping but, what are we going to do about our new sith friend? Will he coming with us to Voss or will he be taking his leave?"

Zarev paused for a moment. He had honestly forgotten all about the sith that had come after Avriela. "I don't know. Whatever Avriela said to him seems to have kept him from killing her and the rest of us. His ship was destroyed back on Taris so I think we'll let him come as far as Voss. Once there, he can either go to the imperial forces stationed there there or he can continue to travel with us."

He shrugged. "Everyone deserves a chance at redemption Corsail. If he chooses to take it than that is his choice."

He looked around at the Shan and turned to look back at Corsail again. "How long do you think before we can take off?"

"You should see some of his repairs first. Haha." Light was in a good mood. It had been far too long since he last worked on a ship seriously.

However, Light was curious about what it could be that Varik wished to speak about and set off for the cockpit. There was a technician there, trying to start the diagnostic Light had been on his way to run. "I've got this. Why don't you take a little break?" The tech just nodded and left as Per'Dra and Varik walked into the cockpit. Light quickly started the diagnostic, and, remembering what he had been curious about, turned to his two companions.

"So, what is it we are talking about here? And why do I get the feeling that both of you know more about it than me?"

"I don't know. Whatever Avriela said to him seems to have kept him from killing her and the rest of us. His ship was destroyed back on Taris so I think we'll let him come as far as Voss. Once there, he can either go to the imperial forces stationed there there or he can continue to travel with us."

Hearing the answer he expected, Corsail nodded. "Of course he could just be biding his time, waiting for the opportune moment to betray us."

"Everyone deserves a chance at redemption Corsail. If he chooses to take it than that is his choice."

Corsail didn't feel comfortable at all with Velox aboard and wanted to object further, but he made himself slowly nod again. "Just be cautious. I imagine where we're going will be dangerous enough with out having to watch our backs from one of our own."

"How long do you think before we can take off?"

Corsail glanced at the console he had been working on earlier. "Me and Vlalkor were basically just finishing up, we can leave whenever you're ready." He paused, then smiled, "Unless of course you think the Shan needs a new paint job?"

"So, what is it we are talking about here? And why do I get the feeling that both of you know more about it than me?"

"I suppose I never really apologized for the whole incident on Tatooine.", Varik began. "You both need to know the whole story. I don't feel I trust anyone else with this, especially given the demeanor of some people here."

He paused, and decided to answer Light's question.

"Per'dra.", he said, looking over to her. "Have you ever been to Korriban before?"

Per'dra shuddered inwardly. She felt as if her insides had suddenly turned to liquid. "Indeed I have. I was on a quest there with a Trandoshan ally named Qyzen Fess, in order to try and defeat a pureblooded Sith named Pfon Urazhai. He sought the knowledge of the late Sith Lord Marka Ragnos, and Qyzen and I could not allow him to obtain it. Unfortunately, after our duel, Urazhai was literally consumed by the Dark Lords' spirits. His body was...vaporized..."

She took a hard swallow. "I am glad to be off of that sinister world. However, something tells me that I have unfinished business with Korriban."

"Pfon?", Varik blinked. "I heard passing mentions of him when I was on Korriban. He must have been long dead by the time I got there."

"I am glad to be off of that sinister world. However, something tells me that I have unfinished business with Korriban."

Varik felt the same way. "Indeed. Once I see this mission through, I plan on returning to Korriban to vanquish Hord's spirit for good."

He paused, and sat down.

"Anyways, I ended up on Korriban; not by choice, mind you. During the Battle of Haeedon I... made a grave tactical error, that resulted in most of the fleet getting destroyed and my own ship getting boarded. I dueled some guy named Darth Atrion. It was the only duel I ever lost."

He gave a slight chuckle. "I always said I was never a particularly good field commander."

"So anyways, I was a prisoner and ended up on Korriban. While there, I gave them the impression that they 'broke' me, and I ended up as a student at the academy.", he paused, clearing his voice. "The best way to defeat your enemy is to know how they fight, and use it against them. I was determined to find Tulak Hord's holocron, since he was a quite renowned lightsaber master, and I had previously learned about him while I was on Tython. His tomb just so happened to be in the Valley of the Dark Lords. Talk about luck, eh?"

"That particular tomb was an absolute nightmare to get through. I knew I was taking a risk, but I didn't know how large that risk was until I found his holocron.", he paused again, trying to recollect himself. "Because before he died, Tulak Hord transferred his spirit into the holocron, and to an extension - his sword. When I tried to use it, it was for naught. I learned little, was mocked, and then my mind was forcefully entered. I had a, what do you call it? A battle of the wills. I won, but just barely. There was enough of him lingering about to still cause a nuisance, and then it reached its peak on Tatooine."

"So long story short, I looked for a way to destroy my enemy and almost got destroyed myself.", he concluded.

Per'dra let out a long, slow, and world-weary sigh. "That means we might be up against a presence we can't defeat, but I won't allow myself to think that way. For what you've endured, I'm sorry in a way that only one who knows can be. I thought I was going to die in my duel with Pfon Urazhai, and the Force alone holds the answer to the mystery of why I didn't. It has a plan for us, and at this point, each one of us has to choose whether to go along with it or jump ship and head back to Nar Shaddaa or some such place to forget everything. I plan to see this through, even at the cost of my own life. That's why I became a Jedi. I knew that sacrifice might be necessary, and the risks tremendous."

Light was a bit out of his depth on this. Of the few times where he had had a battle of wills with someone, they were usual corporeal. However, he had helped with Varik's fight,and the discussion made a couple of things make sense and gave him an idea. "Well, if it comes down to us not being able to defeat it, one of us could try to trap all of it inside. They would need help, but it would allow us to keep it contained with a minimal amount of losses, assuming it works. I hate to think of what it would do to that individual, or what we might have to do to them for the fate of the galaxy, but it's the only worst case scenario plan that I can think of. Any other ideas?"

"Not at this point," Per'dra said softly. "I will assist in any way I can, if..."

If I don't volunteer. The possibility suddenly made her go cold and shiver. Could she really do it? Was she strong enough? She had not been possessed by the Presence as of yet, but what would it do to her if it caught hold?

"Me and Vlalkor were basically just finishing up, we can leave whenever you're ready." He paused, then smiled, "Unless of course you think the Shan needs a new paint job?"

Zarev grinned. "No. I think we're good. The sooner we get to Voss, the sooner we can end this threat once and for all." He said as he headed for the Shan's engine room to give it one last look over.

As he arrived in the Engine room, he looked over the engines and the other equipment and the smile faded from his face for a moment. What would happen to him after this mission?

I was corrupted by whatever this thing is...he thought. I fell in love with Per'dra and I threw myself off a cliff. I have no doubt that there will be consequences for my actions. But as long as I can protect Per'dra and the others I will accept whatever judgment the council places on me.

He quietly continued looking over the engines as he continued to think of what he had done.

Corsail remained silent as Zarev left the room. If we survive this, what will I do when this is over?

Corsail sighed to himself and turned to Vlalkor, "The ship may be ready, but do you think it's crew is? I can't help but feel that we're going to be facing something we won't have the power to stop."

"Well, if it comes down to us not being able to defeat it, one of us could try to trap all of it inside. They would need help, but it would allow us to keep it contained with a minimal amount of losses, assuming it works. I hate to think of what it would do to that individual, or what we might have to do to them for the fate of the galaxy, but it's the only worst case scenario plan that I can think of. Any other ideas?"

Varik gulped for a moment. It did seem like a horrific scenario. Besides, if they were barely able to ward off Tulak Hord, what chance would they have against this entity? Maybe that's what it wants us to think.

"What if we're overthinking it? What if it just wants us to fear it?"

Varik paused for a moment, thinking carefully.

"Maybe it's not as powerful as it's made out to be."

• 2 weeks later...

((Sorry for the wait in posting, There was a miscommunication on my part. xD))

"The ship may be ready, but do you think it's crew is? I can't help but feel that we're going to be facing something we won't have the power to stop."

Vlalkor looked up from one of the control panels at Corsail. "If you ask me, we don't have a choice in the matter but to stop it. It's not just the people of the Republic counting on us, but the Sith Empire as well. I may not be a friend of the Sith Empire but I wouldn't wish what this thing does to people on anyone."

He shook his head. "This thing will be stopped. I don't care if we have to ram the Shan into whatever this thing is to stop it. It will be stopped."

"What I'm wondering is, what could cause it to stop feeding? It needs to possess other beings' minds in order to grow stronger, but what would either satisfy or cease its hunger? Who or what won't it 'eat'? If I recall correctly, when Darth Nihilus attempted to feed upon the Jedi Exile through the Force, doing so made him much weaker. I'm pretty sure we don't have any walking, talking 'Force wounds' aboard this ship, like the Exile was, but what's almost as strong? Revan?" She gave a slight phfft. "To this day, no one knows where he is."

"This thing will be stopped. I don't care if we have to ram the Shan into whatever this thing is to stop it. It will be stopped."

"I agree, but I wouldn't mind if this thing destroyed the sith empire before we take him out."

Corsail shook his head, "It's too bad we're never that lucky. Anyway, If everyone's ready I think we should take off. I'm already getting anxoius just waiting around, and they can continue their conversation on the way there if they wish."

"There are many variables that we will face. We need to prepare ourselves as well as possible, and hope that we are enough to defeat this foe. After all, it hasn't managed to stop us yet, has it? So, it must have some limitations, right? Consider that as we move forward, and we will all be better off."

Varik crossed his arms and leaned on the bulkhead.

"After all, it hasn't managed to stop us yet, has it? So, it must have some limitations, right? Consider that as we move forward, and we will all be better off."

"I think after we killed Voleran, we also killed off quite a bit of its power.", he said. "Voleran was, after all, his main thrall. Quite a bit of energy would have been spent controlling him."

Archived