Home

Star Wars: The Darkness Within

Per'dra saluted Zarev crisply. "As always." She ignited her saberstaff, gave it a preparatory twirl, and then deactivated it. "Weapon at the ready." Hopefully, we won't have to do too much sniping and slaughtering on our way to the Republic base. If it does come down to that, though, I'm willing and able.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Do we have enough speeders for everyone? Varik left his on-world, right? Then the one I knocked into Corsail might not be in the best condition. And Avriela didn't have one to start with. Plus Kif.."

"We might have to have a speeder or two with 2 riders. And those will be slower than the others. Maybe we should all double up? To stay together. Maybe have a forward scout if there's an odd number of us. Is Traver coming?"

"Do we have enough speeders for everyone? Varik left his on-world, right? Then the one I knocked into Corsail might not be in the best condition. And Avriela didn't have one to start with. Plus Kif..."

"We might have to have a speeder or two with 2 riders. And those will be slower than the others. Maybe we should all double up? To stay together. Maybe have a forward scout if there's an odd number of us. Is Traver coming?"

"It's possible we could jury-rig the one that Corsail was hit with so it lasts until we reach the republic command post. Then we can do proper repairs. And I agree with you: If we can have two people per speeder we'll be able to move everyone. It will be a bit slower but it pays to have an extra set of eyes on this planet just in case we run into trouble."

Zarev shook his head as Traver was mentioned. "I honestly don't know. I think that hes still upset with the fact that I wanted to bring Avriela with us. I'll talk to him once we get back."

"Weapon at the ready."

Zarev nodded as he thought of something. "Remember everyone, this planet is crawling with imperials so keep your weapons at the ready."

Zarev walked over to one of the speeders and motioned the others to follow him.

"Remember, stay sharp."

"So, what's the plan? Should we just pick our pairs?"

"No offense, but I'd rather take my chances with the busted speeder then share one with any of you, as long as it's in rideable condition that is." he said as he walked over to the damaged speeder. He looked it over, seeing if anything needed to be repaired.

The left side of the handle bar had been smashed and bent in, one of the miniature blaster canons built into the speeder was broken, and some of the inner circuits were damaged, everything else seemed to be working alright. He activated the speeder, half expecting it to blow up in his face, but after a few seconds the speeder made low humming noise and turned on.

Alright everyone, we're good." he said as he hopped onto the damaged speeder, "Now pair up and lets go."

Varik followed behind Light, sitting behind him on the speeder. He shifted the weight of Kif's body so that it couldn't fall easily from the speeder.

"I guess so.", he replied.

Zarev walked over to the side of the Speeder that had Varik and Light on it and looked it over. It looked like it could hold about three people but it wouldn't be comfortable.

"Varik, if it's alright with you, I'd like to ride with you and Light. I think I can help in keeping Kif from falling off the speeder."

"No offense, but I'd rather take my chances with the busted speeder then share one with any of you, as long as it's in rideable condition that is."

"Keep a very close eye on him and don't let him get too far ahead." He quietly told Varik. "I want Corsail to be within sight at all times until we reach Republic HQ."

"Varik, if it's alright with you, I'd like to ride with you and Light. I think I can help in keeping Kif from falling off the speeder."

"That's much appreciated, thank you.", Varik said, as he moved over to make room for Zarev.

"Keep a very close eye on him and don't let him get too far ahead. I want Corsail to be within sight at all times until we reach Republic HQ."

"Heh, I was going to keep my eyes on him anyways." he whispered back.

He moved Kif's body so that it was supported by both of them.

Per'dra motioned to Avriela. "Hop aboard," she said with a smile as she gestured to one of the speeders. "I'm not the only female on this mission anymore, so there'll be far less temptation for my compatriots of the opposite gender!" She rolled her eyes playfully. "Actually, that was a joke. Quite a few of us, including Zarev and Varik, are Jedi Knights. We're supposed to rise above such base passions. As for Corsail..." She mounted the speeder. "It'll be a cold day in the Mustafar system before he'll even think about entering a relationship that's more than platonic with someone he disdains!"

Light started the ignition and waited the moment before it quieted to a low rumble.

The speeder wobbled slightly due to the weight of four people being on it where it was built for three.

"It seems like we should be okay, as long as we don't have to perform any tight manuevers."

He felt shifting on board as the others moved to keep Kif on board and get comfortable. He was looking at his instruments, so he asked aloud:

"Are you guys set?"

Traver came out of the ship, a cigarette in his mouth.

''You guys forgot about me?'' He said, grinning widely. He had a speeder bike at his side.

''It's my own. Took it with me when I went on this godforsaken mission. Don't fancy Republic stuff.''

He hopped onto the speeder and looked at Light as he asked if they were set.

''Aye.''

"Actually, that was a joke. Quite a few of us, including Zarev and Varik, are Jedi Knights. We're supposed to rise above such base passions. As for Corsail...It'll be a cold day in the Mustafar system before he'll even think about entering a relationship that's more than platonic with someone he disdains!"

Avriela kept her mouth shut as she thought of what she had seen in Zarev's mind came to mind. I wonder how she would react if she knew the truth about how Zarev really feels about her.

Come to think of it...I wonder what Varik would think if he knew how I thought about him. He's a good man, at least he gave me a chance instead of shooting me on sight.

"Corsail in a relationship, thats a scary thought." She said quietly although she had a grin on her face.

"Are you guys set?"

"I'm going to assume that we're ready over here. Lets get going. The sooner we get there, the sooner we can get Kif to a med-center."

As the speeder headed for the Republic Base, Zarev couldn't help but notice that it was getting darker very quickly. We should have stayed aboard the ship for the night. he thought to himself. For all we know there could be snipers just waiting for us to drop our guard.

As he continued to watch for imperials he thought for just a brief second that he could feel someone reaching out, trying to touch his mind.

The feeling of someone reaching out to him returned a moment later but this time it was much stronger. And it was so familiar. Zarev's eyes widened in shock as he recognized it.

My apprentice...My padawan...

"Master Beval." He whispered.

My student...There is something stirring in the shadows. An evil that the galaxy has never before seen, an evil that may one day bring the galaxy to it's knees. When I was dying, I saw the future, what would happen to both the Republic and the Sith. The dark man will rule all if he is not stopped.

Master Beval, who is the dark man?

A man like no other, A man that even the Emperor of the Sith would fear if he knew. I am sorry my student, but my time draws to an end.

Master wait!

Stop him...for the sake of both The Republic and The Sith Empire, for the sake of the galaxy he must be stopped. Beval's voice trailed off as what force energy he had used to communicate with his former student was used up.

Zarev's eyes opened wide as the full impact of what he had heard finally settled in. Something worse than the Emperor...Something that threatened the galaxy itself!

"Master who?" Light took his eyes off of the two things he had been looking at (the terrain and the GPS) to look at Zarev for a moment. He saw him with his eye wide open, but quickly returned his gaze to what he was looking at before.

The darkness was making it a little tough to see, but Light's eyes adjusted quickly, and this speeder had a head light on the front which he had flicked on.

"Zarev, are you alright?"

((Don't expect much more posts from me for a while. Two people that I knew from school killed themselves this week.))

Varik turned to look at Zarev. "Zarev? You look tense.".

He looked out the side of the speeder, keeping his eyes on Corsail's bike. The darkness made it difficult to see, but his eyes would adjust quickly.

((LDR, feel free to take all the time you need. I'm really sorry to hear what happened.))

"Zarev, are you alright?"

"Zarev? You look tense.".

"I...I don't know." He said quietly as he continued to think on what his deceased Master had told him. Something worse than the Emperor...Something that could threaten the entire galaxy if left unchecked.

"We need to get to the Republic HQ and get in contact with Grand Master Shan as soon as possible. I'm not sure how to describe what happenedn but if what I was told is true, The threat that Master Voleran poses is now the least of our problems."

Corsail tried to listen to what the others were saying but couldn't focus, the busted speeder was keeping his full attention. Every few seconds it would jerk up or down, making it very hard to direct. He threw a side ways glance at the others but all he could see was shadowy forms.

"I feel like i'm half blind." he said to himslef as he struggled with the controls.

• 1 month later...

A short while later

Outside Republic HQ

As the speeders pulled up next to the Republic base of operations Zarev couldn't help but think of the warning her had recieved from his Master. How could something be worse than the Emperor? The sith have killed so many in his name...

A republic trooper pointed his rifle at the group. "Halt! Identify yourself!"

Zarev shook his head as he pulled out his ID chip. "Jedi Knight Zarev. We have been dispatched on a mission by the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic."

"I have urgent information for Grand Master Shan and I need access to a secure comn station."

The trooper paused for a moment.

"I'm...Sorry Jedi Zarev but I cannot allow you access to this facility. We have an important meeting going on right now between the Republic and the Balmorran resistance."

Zarev turned to look at the assembled group behind and shrugged before turning back to look at the trooper. "I am going to get in, one way or another. Master Shan needs to know this."

Corsail managed to land the busted speeder without crashing it into anything, however the speeders engine was in extremely bad condition. He hopped off the speeder and walked up beside the rest of the group.

"I'm...Sorry Jedi Zarev but I cannot allow you access to this facility. We have an important meeting going on right now between the Republic and the Balmorran resistance."

Corsail rolled his eyes, "You have got to be kidding me, we don't have time for this." He turned to Zarev, "I'm ninety percent sure that no one will care if you run this guy through."

Per'dra Yllari slapped her hands over her mouth to keep from bursting into laughter. You've got to be kidding me! Of COURSE the Republic is going to care if we "run one of its troopers through", even if we blame it on wandering Flesh Raiders! Out loud, however, she merely said, "Hold." She beamed a beatific smile at the trooper. "We're on a mission for the Grand Master, and since we're highly-trusted Jedi, this can't wait." She fixed him with a stare.

"This cannot wait," the trooper said as if he were a protocol droid - and not a particularly-intelligent one at that. "This cannot wait. You may pass." He flicked a switch on a panel next to the door, and everyone bolted through as fast as they possibly could. Per'dra turned to Zarev and winked.

"Nothing like using a Jedi Mind Trick, at least for a noble cause. Move out!"

"Nothing like using a Jedi Mind Trick, at least for a noble cause. Move out!"

Zarev turned to Per'dra and grinned as they headed into the Republic HQ. "I never would have thought of trying a mind trick. I guess sometimes the answer to a problem isn't as clear as we expect it to be."

"I'm ninety percent sure that no one will care if you run this guy through."

Zarev turned to look at Corsail and then quickly looked away. He was ashamed to think that for a moment...just for a moment he had honestly thouhgt about running the trooper through with his lightsaber.

No! I can't...think like this. I can't think these kind of thoughts.

"The long rage holocommunication device should be in the next room." He said as they walked through the base. He turned to look at Varik and Per'dra. "I need you two to keep an eye out for me while I contact Master Shan. There's no telling what might happen if we're overheard."

Zarev turned to look around the room and saw the device sitting on a desk. After looking at the controls for a moment he quickly keyed in a series of numbers.

"Grand Master Shan, this is Jedi Knight Zarev along with the rest of the Task Force. Please respond."

A hologram of the Grand Master appeared above the device. "This is Master Shan. Have you managed to stop Master Voleran?"

"No Master...But I think we have a bigger problem than Master Voleran." He quickly told the story of what he had heard from his Master and a grim look appeared on Master Shan's face.

"This is disturbing news and I will bring it to the Jedi council. But for now, stopping Master Voleran is a top priority. I will contact you with more information as we recieve it."

The hologram abruptly cut out as the device made an odd sound.

He turned to look at the others and shook his head. "Something is jamming the signal either here or at the other end. I can't tell."

Archived