Home

Useless Video Game Accessories: Guidebooks

Blix

Specifically for the Fable series, Fable II strategy guide was a little helpful but III's was utterly useless and better suited for a coffee table book or a paper weight. I've found that Gamefaqs and IGN were more "to the point" and helpful than either of these guides. Thankfully though for the money I spent on it, the Final Fantasy XII guide IS quite helpful. Has anyone else fallen into the trap of purchasing the guide to go with the game only to find it completely useless?

I purchased the CE game guide for FO:NV. I wouldn't say it was completely useless, however those books are written while the game is still in development so frequently some percentage of the info is bad coming out of the gate. This was no exception. Add multiple changes over several patches and...you get the idea.

The flow charts showing different ways to resolve some of the quests were nice.

I used guidebooks for awhile until the internet was invented and they became utterly devoid of purpose or redeeming quality.

Some have pretty pictures. :xp:

I have Oblivions, Mass Effects and TSL, I also bought one for TOR, but it is only maps with some pretty pictures.

The only guidebooks I have ever bought have been for Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, mainly as a guide for getting every single collectable, but also because I love the concept art. All of them are very well put together and helpful.

Why would anyone buy guidebooks when the Internet exists nyaaargh

For in case the internet is down? Or just good to have nearby in case you need to look something up real quick without needing to boot up the comp, type in the web address, and scroll through a faq.

I don't have the Internet, so I regularly buy video game guides.... *looks around* Okay maybe I don't. But I can see the collector's quality of some guides since some of them are actually pretty well done now. Some of them are basically guides/artbooks and have lots of other stuff in them that collector's would love to get their hands on.

Now if you want truly useless accessories...

wii-sports-attachments.jpg

Wii Remote attachments.

Do you have cases of adult diapers stowed away as well for in case your toilet ever goes down?

;)

I guess I can see how that may be intended as a joke, but I don't see how having easy access to a strategy guide on-hand would make someone "uncool", but whatever it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Never said anything about you being uncool, dude. :)

I do find it very funny that someone would list "emergency internet-free strategy source" as a main reason for buying a strategy guide.

I think you may be reading too much into that comment. Yes IF you don't have internet and cannot access Gamefaqs then a strategy guide would be very useful, however in general having one on hand is very helpful if you just need to look something up real quick.

Archived