Home

Video game endings

Trex

With all the controversy over Mass Effect 3's ending recently, I've been thinking about game endings in general.

Generally, I don't think they're that good as a whole. I'm not saying game endings are bad, most are decent, but I'm finding it really hard to think of any where I though 'wow, that was amazing' after playing.

Mass Effect 2's ending is one of my favourites. Or more specifically, ME2 when you manage to have everyone suvive on your second playthrough.

What about everyone else?

Are there any game endings you felt were amazing?

Game endings are taking a turn for the worst. Mass Effect 3 and Prototype 2 come to mind. Dragon Age 2 also. (but the game wasn't very good itself anyway)

EDIT: Some are, anyway.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 both had awesome endings, I think

Amazing endings? Any of the Legacy of Kain games, Grim Fandango, Mass Effect (1), The Witcher (1). More recently, Alan Wake, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Witcher 2, Limbo, Bastion and even Arkham City.

Awful endings? Mass Effect 3 (of course) immediately comes to mind. Everything else varies between "good" and "meh".

any where I though 'wow, that was amazing' after playing.

Planescape: Torment

Portal 2

Bastion

Grim Fandango

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

The Longest Journey (well I don't remember the ending, but I know I thought that as I finished the game)

I'll agree though, a good ending doesn't seem to be a priority for most video games.

When I first played KotOR, the ending gave me a "wow" effect. Same for the first Mass Effect and Halo 3. Alpha Protocol's ending didn't "wow" me, but it was also pretty decent (despite the various bugs in the game, there were so many choices in the game --> many potential outcomes/endings.)

Alpha Protocol, especially since it avoided the common "let's just throw a gazillion enemies at you for an hour before facing the big bad" syndrome RPGs tend to suffer from. It also let you make meaningful choices without using an ending-o-tron.

Planescape Torment (same reason as AP, though the first part of the fortress was a pain)

Mask of the Betrayer:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Not only did it hand you a difficult choice near the end, the fact that I didn't have all the mask fragments lead to a tragic, but satisfying ending (ME3 devs: look and learn).

The Witcher 2: Flawed, but the whole end game worked well, and I liked that I could simply refuse the last battle.

Archived