Home

New KOTOR 1 and 2 Bundle

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick question for those with the bundle, do you have to use XP compatibility mode, or does it work fine without it?
I haven't installed it on Windows Vista or 7, just Windows XP. From the looks of it though both are fully patched versions of the games on DVD. The readme files for both games reference installation requirements for Windows 7 but it wouldn't surprise me if you still have to use the same workarounds on Windows 7 as before.

I haven't installed it on Windows Vista or 7, just Windows XP. From the looks of it though both are fully patched versions of the games on DVD. The readme files for both games reference installation requirements for Windows 7 but it wouldn't surprise me if you still have to use the same workarounds on Windows 7 as before.

You gotta be kidding me, anyone have 7 that's installed this yet?

You don't. Just received it today. I never had a problem installing and/or playing the original version on my Windows 7 laptop, but I had with my Vista desktop. So I installed it on my desktop with no problem and it plays just fine. My only (minor) complaint is the new disc menu (not in-game). Ugly and not within the design of the game, like the original one. But the game is patched and fully compatible with XP, Vista and 7.

Here's the (new) ReadMe file:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
LucasArts, a Lucasfilm Company

STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC®

Version 1.3

Thank you for playing STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. We recommend that you read this document to obtain updated information about installing, running, and playing the game.

Supported Operating Systems

To be able to play STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC, you must have Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 installed and configured correctly, and your computer hardware must be compatible with DirectX 9.0b or later.

Minimum System Requirements

CPU

Required: Intel P3 1.0 GHz or AMD Athlon 1GHz

Memory

Required: 256 MB RAM

Graphics Card

Required: 32 MB w/ Hardware T&L

Sound Card

Required: 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible Audio Device

DVD-ROM

Required: DVD-ROM drive

Input Device

Required: Keyboard & Mouse

General Information

Installation Notes

Installation requires 4 GB of free hard drive space. We recommend that you have an additional 200 MB of free space available after installing the game for save games and Windows file caching.

Installing STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC

Insert STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC disc into your DVD-ROM drive. The launcher screen will open automatically if AutoRun is enabled on your computer. If your computer does not have AutoRun enabled, open Computer from your Windows desktop or Start Menu and double-click on the drive showing the STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC icon, and then double-click on the program icon to begin installation. If it does not, double-click on Setup.exe in the window that opens. You will be prompted to select an installation path before your installation will begin.

Default Installation Location

* 32-bit operating systems:

* C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

* 64-bit operating systems:

* C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Save Game Locations

* 32-bit operating systems:

* C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\Saves

* 64-bit operating systems:

* C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic\Saves

Administrative Rights

You may be unable to install STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC unless you are logged on with Administrative Rights, or are able to provide an administrator password.

After installing the game, you will be able to play the game with a Limited (Restricted) or Standard User account.

Running STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC

* Click on the Start Menu

* Select All Programs

* Select the LUCASARTS folder

* Select the STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC folder

* Click on STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC icon

Options Menus

Sound & Graphic Options

You can adjust various Sound and Graphic settings through the options menu. To adjust the Music, Voice-Over, Sound Effects, or Movie volumes, you can use the left/right cursor keys or mouse. Press the ESC key or click on the Close button to exit the options screen once you have made the changes.

You can manually adjust the in-game Resolution, Brightness, Shadows, and Grass from the Graphics options menu while at the main game menu.

Advanced Graphics Settings & Performance Issues

If you encounter performance issues with STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC you can also adjust additional options from within the Advanced Graphics Options menu. Lowering Texture settings and disabling Frame Buffer Effects, Soft Shadows, and V-Sync will help with in-game performance.

Disc Check Problems / SecuROM Analysis File

STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC uses disc based copy protection provided by SecuROM™.

Disc Check Error Messages

* “Original Disc could not be found or authenticated”

* “Emulation Detected error”

* “Wrong disc inserted”

If you encounter any of these error messages when attempting to launch STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC, follow the suggestions listed below for help resolving the issue:

* Reboot the computer and try launching the game again

* Make sure you have the game disc in a local optical DVD drive

* Close all other running applications, especially things such as: Clean Sweep, anti-virus software, ZoneAlarm, disc burning software (e.g. Nero, EZ CD Creator, or Roxio), and image-mounting software (e.g. Power ISO or WinISO)

* If you have more than one local optical drive, try all drives

* If you have a Virtual Drive installed, make sure it is disabled

* Make sure you have updated drivers for your optical drive AND that you have the latest motherboard drivers available

* Make sure you wait for the “Play” disc authentication after the program launches. It can take up to one-half minute or more for initial disc authentication. Your mouse pointer may change into a spinning disc pointer while the disc is authenticating.

If none of the above suggestions work, you can follow the steps outlined below to generate an analysis log file to submit to SecuROM Technical Support group for assistance. The analysis file contains important information to help analyze program launch issues that maybe encountered. After successfully creating the file, the necessary data will be exported and stored in an “AnalysisLog.sr0” file. Please perform the following steps:

Generating the Analysis File on Windows XP

* Ensure the retail game disc is in a local optical drive

* Reboot your system to ensure you start the process from a clean environment

* Locate the game launcher, which for this title is named swkotor.exe. This file will be located in the directory where you installed STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC

* Right click (right mouse button) on the executable and several menu options will appear.

* Choose LAUNCH ANALYSYS from the menu and release the mouse button

* A disclaimer window will appear; click the YES button to proceed

* The application will generate an AnalysisLog.sr0 file within the root of your C:\ partition (hard drive)

* Another dialog will appear to signify the successful generation of the analysis file

* Click the OK button to finish

Generating the Analysis File on Windows Vista & Windows 7

If you are unable to generate an Analysis file using the steps above, or you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will need to use the Command Prompt and set your system up to view hidden files and folders. This will allow you to view and access the files that you need to run the analysis from. To do this:

* Go to the START menu and click on CONTROL PANEL

* Click on APPEARANCE AND PERSONALIZATION and select FOLDER OPTIONS

* Select the VIEW tab

* Select 'Show hidden files and folders'

You should now be able to see hidden files and folders on your system. Now, to create an analysis file, complete the following steps:

* Ensure the retail game disc is in a local optical drive

* Reboot your system to ensure you start the process from a clean environment

* Locate the game launcher, which for this title is named swkotor.exe. This file will be located in the directory where you installed STAR WARS® KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC

* Right click (right mouse button) on the executable and several menu options will appear

* Go down to PROPERTIES

* Copy the already highlighted TARGET information, by selecting CTRL & C with the keyboard.

* From the keyboard, press the Windows key (the key between the Left Ctrl and Left Alt keys) and the letter ‘R’ at the same time. This will open a 'Run dialog box'

* Type in the letters ‘CMD’ with the keyboard and press ENTER or click on the OK button with the mouse (A DOS window should appear with a blinking cursor)

* In the DOS window, type ‘CD\’ from the keyboard, and press ENTER. This should take you to the root of your C:\ drive

* Now, move the mouse cursor into the DOS Window and Right-Click with your mouse, and select PASTE from the menu selection context box that appears

* Press the SPACE BAR once, and add the text ‘/SECUEXP’ and press Enter. Your entire line should look something like “C:\Program Files\LucasArts\ Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic \swkotor.exe /SECUEXP” (your text may look different if you elected to install the game to a different directory at the time of setup)

* Press ENTER on the keyboard

* A disclaimer window may appear on your screen. - To proceed, click the YES button.

* A window stating that an Analysis log will be generated may appear, if it does, then click the OK button

Sending the Analysis File to SecuROM

* Windows XP

* An AnalysisLog.sr0 file will be saved to the root of your C:\ drive. To locate it, go to COMPUTER open your C:\ drive and you should see the 'AnalysisLog.sr0' file.

* Windows Vista & Windows 7

* The AnalysisLog.sr0 file will be stored on your desktop, or the following path:

C:\Users\<YOUR WINDOWS USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Temp\AnalysisLog.sr0

If by chance this folder is hidden, you may have to display hidden folders. Follow the steps above under “Generating the Analysis File on Windows Vista & Windows 7” to display the folders.

If you have access to do so, please zip the 'AnalysisLog.sr0' file using a program such as WinZip, WinAce, or WinRAR (to prevent email corruption).

Please email the .sr0 file or zip file and a description of your issue with as much detail as possible. Be sure to include things you have already tried. Please submit this information by attaching the analysis file and to an email and sending it to support@securom.com.

Disclaimer: The ability to generate the analysis file has been developed with your personal interest in mind to check for possible hardware and/or software incompatibility on your PC. To shorten the analysis time, system information is collected (similar to Microsoft's msinfo32.exe program). Data will be compared with the SecuROM knowledge base to determine hardware and/or software conflicts. Submitting the analysis file is totally voluntary. The collected data is for evaluation purposes only and is not used in any other manner.

Customer Support in the UK and Ireland

http://support.activision.com

Our support section of the web has the most up-to-date information available including links to patches that can be downloaded free-of-charge. We update the support pages daily so please check here first. By going to the Find Answers section and selecting the platform and game you can view the frequently asked questions. If you don’t find your question there try using a keyword.

Email and Phone Support

Please consult the web for the most up-to-date contact information and opening hours for your country and language. Only technical support will be provided; hints, codes and cheats are not supported.

Note: Please do not return any game directly to Activision without first contacting Customer Support. It is our policy that game returns or refunds must be dealt with by the retailer or online site where you purchased the product.

UK

Phone: +44 845 528 0269 (local rate)

Opening hours: Monday through Friday from 9 am – 5 pm GMT

Except for National Holidays

Ireland

Phone: 01 9036 586 (local rate)

Opening hours: Monday through Friday from 9 am – 5 pm GMT

Except for National Holidays

LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are registered trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd.*© 1991-2012 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved.

Last Updated: July 19th, 2012

P.S: Here's the new menu:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
newmenut.png

Yikes.

I bought the bundle and need help. Kotor Tool and KSE Save game editor don't work for Sith Lords. Kotor tool says something about the game not being detected and not in the registry. I installed it on windows 7 64bit. Kotor I is detected fine by both Kotor Tool and KSE save game editor.

• 1 month later...
You'll need to make a registry key for TSL; something like this.

Thanks, actually with a little fiddling around I was able to get the KSE working without doing that. I just redirected it to program files(86).

On a side note however, for some reason the cheats aren't working. I added the EnableCheats=1 on the .ini, but it doesn't do anything in-game. It shows the changes in the swkotor2.ini, but the console will not activate. I know this because when I press ` my character keeps moving.

Honestly I find it a little insulting that LA would release KotOR 2, a seriously incomplete game, for the second time. Was the first time not disappointing enough? Unless there is some change (of any kind really), even a mac port as someone said, I won't be buying.

I still have 2 copies for the xbox for some reason, anyway. I think when I first lost it I was so devastated that I immediately bought another copy to make everything better. Little did I know it was still around, and I still have them both as well as PC copies of both games.. anyway, won't be buying it this one unless there are some changes :p

Edit: I didn't realize there were already 3 pages on this thread! I'll go read them now but my opinion still stands :carms:

I've thought about this a bit and have decided that I think it's great that a younger generation will get some exposure to what is in my opinion the best video game ever, the first KotOR. However, I still think it sucks that they'd re-release TSL in a still horrible, unfinished state.

I've thought about this a bit and have decided that I think it's great that a younger generation will get some exposure to what is in my opinion the best video game ever, the first KotOR. However, I still think it sucks that they'd re-release TSL in a still horrible, unfinished state.

Opinions are funny...I find KotOR predictable full of uninspired stereotypes and find TSL to be the better deeper game. Taste is just funny like that. :D

Opinions are funny...I find KotOR predictable full of uninspired stereotypes and find TSL to be the better deeper game. Taste is just funny like that. :D

Well I agree about the predictable stereotypes in KotOR and I also loved TSL (especially with the gameplay enhancements) - until I got to the end. Nothing made sense and it ended so ubruptly I was hugely disappointed. I didn't feel like I saved the galaxy or really did anything at all! It's way better with TSLRCM, but I just don't think it's fair that they would re-release it even though it's widely known that it's an unfinished game.

Also I think I just like k1 more due to some nostalgic thing :p But yeah it is funny how things always vary between people!

Archived