Home

New KOTOR 1 and 2 Bundle

(what a lazy job on the cover, though)

I'm hoping it's just a slipcover, and that they have both games separate from each other.

It's most certainly Windows 7 compatible, but I doubt it will have widescreen support (although it's on my wishlist).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, as much as I would still buy it, it's a necessity that they are compatible with Windows 7 and widescreen monitors, otherwise it's totally pointless. I'm not expecting new content or anything a la Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, but i'm expecting some form of improvements.

I'm almost tempted to get this bundle when released, if only to have 1-disc version of KotOR II.

Well, at this point it needs to be Windows 8 compatible as well, but who knows how much different 8 will be from 7 as of yet as far as that goes.

Someone who has used the Windows 8 publicly released betas would know. But, to save someone else's time and energy, I tried using KotOR I & II on Windows 8 Release Preview, which is supposed to be a release candidate for Windows 8, a few months ago. :) The results were that my Best of PC KotOR I and regular KotOR II still worked properly. So, it should still be compatible when the retail version of Windows 8 comes this fall. ;) If nothing changes, the steps used to get the KotOR series working on Windows 7 will be the same for making them work on Windows 8. Thus, I'm sure this bundle will also be compatible with Windows 8.

I'm almost tempted to get this bundle when released, if only to have 1-disc version of KotOR II.

Someone who has used the Windows 8 publicly released betas would know. But, to save someone else's time and energy, I tried using KotOR I & II on Windows 8 Release Preview, which is supposed to be a release candidate for Windows 8, a few months ago. :) The results were that my Best of PC KotOR I and regular KotOR II still worked properly. So, it should still be compatible when the retail version of Windows 8 comes this fall. ;) If nothing changes, the steps used to get the KotOR series working on Windows 7 will be the same for making them work on Windows 8. Thus, I'm sure this bundle will also be compatible with Windows 8.

Well, that's good then. No, I have not used Windows 8 yet, and your right those who have used the beta would know. I haven't even spent a huge amount on 7 to be honest either, I just know that there are compatibility issues for lots of older hardware/software

Really...I thought it showed that BioWare is new to MMOs. They opened too many servers at the start, then have steadily made every other PR mistake to run off the extreme MMOer and the more casual KotOR fan.

As far as the game itself, there is no doubt in my mind that it is the greatest Star Wars and perhaps the best video game I have ever played. However player experiences may differ...I did the smuggler story first, which was great...the Jedi Consular story on the other hand was just meh at best.

So while the subscription is down from 1.7 million to 1.3 million it is hardly struggling. Just like SWG, TOR is just suffering from overly exaggerated expectations and a company that while they know how to produce entertaining games, knows nothing about pandering to the demands of the MMO crowd. Just everyone want to say if a MMO does not reach WOW numbers that is a failure, which anyone that has played TOR knows isn't the case. You may not like certain elements of the game or the readily apparent lack of experience BioWare has in maintaining and customer service for a MMO, but I will argue from experience with anyone that says TOR is not entertaining and well done for what it is.

As someone who actually played and unsubbed, I would agree with this assessment. I REALLY loved the game. The only problem I had was end game really. While leveling, the game played just like other BioWare games. It was a blast. And as a bonus you can play parts of it with friends. Or all of it if you want. If you don't want to, then you don't have to. I would suggest that when they do the free trial, anyone who has not tried it, should. Especially if you loved KotOR.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've really been thinking about picking up this bundle, great value. I do have KOTOR I for the Original Xbox and in the Best of PC collection, but the KOTOR/EAW disc has a large scratch in it and the Xbox KOTOR I have hasn't been played since my previous Xbox died while running the game so I don't trust it hehe. I've never played KOTOR II though and have been wanting to for a long time, I couldn't find the Xbox version cheap hehe. But as of June I know have a gaming PC for the first time ever. And I'm hungry to delve into PC gaming!

I've really been thinking about picking up this bundle, great value. I do have KOTOR I for the Original Xbox and in the Best of PC collection, but the KOTOR/EAW disc has a large scratch in it and the Xbox KOTOR I have hasn't been played since my previous Xbox died while running the game so I don't trust it hehe. I've never played KOTOR II though and have been wanting to for a long time, I couldn't find the Xbox version cheap hehe. But as of June I know have a gaming PC for the first time ever. And I'm hungry to delve into PC gaming!

I'd go for it! Kotor 1 (as you know) is amazing, K2 is just as good but in other aspects, definitely worth the bundle and 2nd/3rd copy of K1 for - plus these are in HD as I recall.

I was told is doesn't. Is there a sure way to test this?

They don't. The games sport the same resolution options as their original releases, as far as I can tell. Even if they don't there are no widescreen resolutions available, or anything larger than 1600x1200.

The EXE's are obviously different in that they have some kind of greater SecuROM protection, preventing the use of the UniWS and Widescreen HUD mods. I haven't tried these copies of the game with anything else. Has anyone else purchased this bundle and had any problems with any other mods, particularly the TSLRCM and K1RIP demo? Does this release agree with most mods in general?

Well, that's good then. No, I have not used Windows 8 yet, and your right those who have used the beta would know. I haven't even spent a huge amount on 7 to be honest either, I just know that there are compatibility issues for lots of older hardware/software

Evidently, I stand corrected: There is a new step for setting the compatibility for the older copies of KotOR I & II on Windows 8. I will make a video soon to show how to do it, now that my college is offering Windows 8 Pro RTM through their DreamSpark Premium program. Luckily, it's the only difference between installing the games on Windows Vista/7 and Windows 8.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Looking to make a buck on KOTOR again as well as create interest for their struggling MMO. I don't see KOTOR 3 ever happening. They finished the story arc with TOR and the Revan tie-in novel.

That is one thing I wouldn't mind being retconned..

Edit: Speaking of TOR, Bioware just started doing free character transfers between specific servers in order to populate them. For the record, SWG didn't do this until 2009, six years in. Didn't want to double post, but this definitely shows the game is struggling...

That, combined with the fact that it's been selling for as little as $10 for the last couple of months and is about to go F2P indicates that TOR isn't just struggling; it's a gigantic flop.

1036191.jpg

/flamesuit

Archived