Home

Title Brainstorming

MeddlingMonk

Recently there was a new video for only the backers of the Double Fine Adventure game. The subject was how Tim brainstorms game ideas in his notebooks, and to illustrate he pulled out the Grim Fandango notebook. One of the things he showed off was page after page after page of title ideas, pretty much all of them nonstarters. Then came the page where he finally hit on a title that he liked: he had written in giant block letters Grim Fandango, and then below that the words "I am such a ****ing genius." :D

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, I'm not going to spill anything about the actual Double Fine Adventure. Just random bits of Grim Fandango info that's popping up sometimes.

Just to rub it in, you've also missed out on the Al Lowe and Jane Jensen Kickstarters. But there's still time for the Kickstarters of the Two Guys from Andromeda (not a new Space Quest game, though) and Tex Murphy, if either of those are your thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshots? Of at-best nearly-illegible handwriting? I grok your reasons for asking, but most of the time when the camera is on the notebook, instead of pointed at Tim, Tim is flipping through the pages in a fast blur. There's not a whole lot to see.

There's a possibility that there may more GF history to come. The latest video was of Tim beginning to replay Day of the Tentacle (in ScummVM). The DFA game development is going to take quite a while, so maybe it's possible that at some point there will be videos of Tim replaying Grim Fandango. I'm just guessing about that, obviously.

Oh, all right. I'll relent. There are a few shots of the notebook that aren't either quick blurry looks or walls of scrawl.

This one shows the name Del Calavera and a title idea (from a stage when the game was going to involve a real-estate scam).

RLNh8Owe

Here's a drawing of what would be the Bone Wagon, plus assorted scribbling.

HAN4p1fP

I'm guessing this is maybe a drawing of a beaver (or is it a scorpion?) but I can't imagine what the tongue is meant to be doing. Also, are there seven or eight legs on this thing?

CIWhK7YL

Random title ideas, all bad. And I lied. This one is a wall of scrawl.

kGOE7mlA

The Bone Wagon gets its name.

03QT3Jpf

Tim finally gets a title he likes.

oSpYHVGd

Happy? :xp:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived