Home

Anyone try Diablo III

Prime

Does Diablo III have any "old-school" RPG elements, such as persuade checks for conversations and dialogue beyond a third-grade level (swear words notwithstanding)?

Does...not...compute. If Diablo III is anything like the first two Diablo games it will have no conversation at all in the game. NPCs just monologue at you when you click them to pick up quests from them, and then monologue at you when you pick up your quest completion reward. :p

Diablo games have traditionally been Action RPGs with heavy emphasis on the Action and light emphasis on the RP.

Does...not...compute. If Diablo III is anything like the first two Diablo games it will have no conversation at all in the game. NPCs just monologue at you when you click them to pick up quests from them, and then monologue at you when you pick up your quest completion reward. :p

Yeah, it's the same. The main character does reply, of course.

Finished Act 1. Starts to feel VERY repetetive after a while.

I'm not trying to get everyone to hate Diablo 3, just provide the facts. I still might pick it up at some point in the future when it's on sale or something, just not now with all the crap that is going on.

This all reminds me when the Internet went down during a StarCraft II tournament, and the audience started chanting "We want LAN!".

This kind of control which only limits the player doesn't benefit anyone. Internet is paid, it's access is limited, and is unfortunately nowadays part of the minimum requirements for a person to install and play a game they legally bought.

This only increases piracy, since they don't have to deal with any of this crap.

But hey, most people apparently don't care about any of this.

I played it, pretty bad. The story is just bad, and the combat is so pathetically simple. Just click at something and it dies.

That's the way Diablo combat has been since 1996, and it's not gonna change any time soon.

I finally have it, and I've played it thoroughly enough to know that I love it just as much as I love any other Blizzard game. My only issue is the same issue everyone else has: online only. There is of course the whole "if the servers crap out, I can't play until it's fixed" thing, but it also causes too much lag, delaying all my actions, sometimes leading to my character's death. Looking past the internet hooplah, it's a great game that just needs an offline mode.

Well, playing the devil's advocate, they did warn beforehand that you could only play it online.

Unfortunately, since so many people bought it, the message they (not just Blizzard, but the industry in general) are receiving is that people don't care about this kind of restrictions.

Well, playing the devil's advocate, they did warn beforehand that you could only play it online.

If they did, they weren't very effective. I totally missed it and was following the game through development (though that's not saying much to be honest.. hehe). I tend to miss a lot of things :xp:

Maybe my eyes were glossed over from all the eye candy and class articles D3 released during that time ;)

Unfortunately, since so many people bought it, the message they (not just Blizzard, but the industry in general) are receiving is that people don't care about this kind of restrictions.

So sad it's true. Grim days for the industry if this becomes a regular thing. :(

Took me quite awhile to even accept Steam's policy and it's not even close to having this much of a draconian choke hold.

If they did, they weren't very effective. I totally missed it and was following the game through development (though that's not saying much to be honest.. hehe). I tend to miss a lot of things :xp:

Maybe my eyes were glossed over from all the eye candy and class articles D3 released during that time ;)

September, 2011. I won't argue if they were very effective or not, since it may have been against their interest to spread the word.

So sad it's true. Grim days for the industry if this becomes a regular thing. :(

Took me quite awhile to even accept Steam's policy and it's not even close to having this much of a draconian choke hold.

I haven't bought a single game on Steam. My first experience with it was when I was trying out a demo of some game. In order to play it, they forced me to have an internet connection, create an account, log in, and finally play the damn demo. By that time, I wasn't interested in playing the demo anymore. What I really wanted to know was if there was a version of that game without Steam. Sadly it was a Steam exclusive, and my interest for that game disappeared immediately.

I can't stand account-based and/or online authentication DRM on singleplayer games. What's worse, it's like a disease spreading throughout the whole industry.

Does Diablo III have any "old-school" RPG elements, such as persuade checks for conversations and dialogue beyond a third-grade level (swear words notwithstanding)?

If not, what new game would you steer me toward? :)

Which CRPGs have you played?

Sounds like just about everyone is the same as me. I'm kind of holding off on D3 because I have so many other games in my queue. It also sounds like I am not unique in that I'm a bit burned out on newer games. I haven't gotten very far in M3 yet, and I haven't logged into TOR for a while. I've actually been having a bit of fun modding Neverwinter Nights 2. I'll probaqbly pick up skyrim at some point.

Interestingly, the game I'm probably most excited about is the Baldur's Gate series remake. And I have the urge to go back and play the KOTOR series yet again...

• 3 weeks later...

What a shame. I'm having tons of fun. Exploring right now the auction system, which seems a success since I can strike really great bargains there, both selling and buying. They've just started using real money but I'm unsure if I'll partake on those transactions myself yet. I'll see how this unfolds first.

The storyline is pretty short, especially compared to DII. Blew through the game with my monk in less than 10 hours on Normal Difficulty. Fortunately, Diablo has never been about the story, but more about the phat lootz. If you accept this, you'll be fine!

The only thing I really don't care for is that your friends can just randomly show up in a game, if you have them on your list. Normally this isn't that bad, since most of my friends aren't complete morons when playing cooperatively, but their friends can now join the game I'm in, significantly complicating the situation.

It plays a lot like Diablo II, but with flashier visual effects. Unfortunately, you need a fast, steady internet connection. I'm restricted to a satellite connection where I live and it is nearly unplayable with the long latency period. Shoot monster - wait 1100 msec for bolt to fire - meanwhile monsters are not waiting. So if you are limited to HughesNet, don't bother, it is way too frustrating.

I bought Torchlight and am having a blast - it may actually be more Diablo than Diablo III.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately I have not tried Diablo 3. In fact my most recent experience was watching somebody play Di-2 on their screen about some 11 years ago. (whoa, time flies) I had wanted to pick up D2 and now that it's $20 I might just do that. Any experience prior, I played Di-1 on my Mac performa 6300CD and beat it with the rogue, and played starcraft on my 2003 Vaio laptop.

Unfortunately my most recent memories of any blizzard products is of the mother of a couple kids she's supposed to be taking care of--my surrogate niece and nephew--asking me if I play WoW and if I'd like any instant Lv 80 tickets. :dozey:

Oh yeah, just so nice to know you're neglecting your son and daughter to play WoW all day after moving away.

So I'm not too hot on it right now but I suppose there is always later on. :D

Archived