Home

[TSL] New Head Choice: The Exile's Canonical Face (TOR spoilers)

Sith Holocron

Seeing as the thread for Revan's Canonical Face, it should've been inevitable that this thread would make an appearance.

Now that we now know what the Exile (discussed here as Meetra Surik though I hate that name) looks like, is it possible that someone could create a head for the Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords game that resembles her? I have included a screenshot I snapped when I played through the Maelstrom Prison Flashpoint.

MeetraSurikExileinTheOldRepublic.jpg

In addition, I found video of the Exile

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
or rather the Exile as a Force Ghost
in Maelstrom Prison on YouTube. You'll start to see her at around a minute and six seconds into the video.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

As I haven't read the Revan novel, I'm unsure if they actually mention hair color and skin complexion in it. I have the audiobook but I haven't made it all the way through it yet.) If you know of such a thing listed in the novel, feel free to chime in!

"Meetra had short brown hair, pale white skin, and piercing blue eyes. She was taller than

Bastila, and almost a decade older, though she would still be considered beautiful by any

empirical measure. She possessed a presence and confidence, along with an enviable natural

grace. She was clad in the simple robes of a Jedi Master, but somehow she managed to make

even the drab brown cloth seem stylish."

This has already been done.

Now, before you start thinking that it looks nothing like the screenshot you posted, bear in mind that in that photo Meetra has her hair pulled back and is appearing as a colorless specter, which is why her hair appears light. The skin is based on the packaging for her action figure, where her hair is down and is confirmed to be brown. Thus, it's her. ;)

I know it doesn't look EXACTLY like the TOR version, but what do you guys think of, in all likelihood, my official canon version of The Exile?

Show spoiler

1QyuE.jpg

FvTKr.jpg

cplVj.jpg

Got the piercing blue eyes, skin can be paler if needed and the brown hair that people seem to associate with the Jedi Exile.

Looks good, VP!

Have you already tested this model in the game? I'm asking, because when *I* try to merge *this* hair with *any* other head model, dangly meshes are screwed, but it doesn't happen to me when I'm playing with other hairs.

Glad you asked. The results were catastrophic. Even with my headfixer, things are wonky.

I have an idea, but we'll see if it works....

EDIT: Unsuccessful....

I've even got some other issues with the head model which baffle me a bit... but oh well. Just keep working...

EDIT #2: SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Fortunately, I've gotten custom danglymeshes to work before (Yes, this opens a whole new aspect of head modeling). So I tried converting the danglyhair to just a trimesh and add the auroraflex modifier back in - head showed up in game, no problems! Now, it's just a matter of figuring out how the hell to configure how much it sways and stuff like that.

Glad you asked. The results were catastrophic. Even with my headfixer, things are wonky.

I have an idea, but we'll see if it works....

EDIT: Unsuccessful....

I've even got some other issues with the head model which baffle me a bit... but oh well. Just keep working...

Fortunately, I've gotten custom danglymeshes to work before (Yes, this opens a whole new aspect of head modeling). So I tried converting the danglyhair to just a trimesh and add the auroraflex modifier back in - head showed up in game, no problems! Now, it's just a matter of figuring out how the hell to configure how much it sways and stuff like that.

Oh good; so, it wasn't just me for which that hair didn't like moving. :wonder: But, glad to hear you got it working. :) Anyways, your model looks nice. Though, I would suggest touching up the texture on the top of her forehead in the middle.

Fortunately, I've gotten custom danglymeshes to work before (Yes, this opens a whole new aspect of head modeling). So I tried converting the danglyhair to just a trimesh and add the auroraflex modifier back in - head showed up in game, no problems!

That's... good news! :wan:

Now, it's just a matter of figuring out how the hell to configure how much it sways and stuff like that.

I think I've seen tutorial for this stuff somewhere. It was for NWN, but I suppose it should work for KotOR as well. I'll post link here If I'll find it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ugh. I have to say that, from a story perspective, The Old Republic is kind of a disaster. Surik looks entirely too... what's the word... sophisticated. From her clothing, to her hair, to her... general appearance, she just comes across to me as a slightly trimmed down version of Atris, which really doesn't suit her. Neither does her voice, which sounds aged and somewhat more monotone than it should be. I know she's a seasoned veteran of at least one war, wandered the galaxy for a decade, and that she would have to be somewhere within her thirties or early forties, but nonetheless, I always envisioned her as being... I dunno... altogether more youthful, in voice and appearance. Someone who aged extremely well, contrasting with how most people see Kreia.

JediExileHanddrawn.JPG

^ She looks great to me here. Perfect, even.

I suppose it's strange to be speaking as if a canonical rendition of a character is wrong in some way and could be made right when that character first appeared to us completely customisable, from appearance to personality (I'm sure there are some who envision the Exile quite differently than I do). I don't mind at all that she was canonised, but I do think that they ruined her a little bit in the process.

Sorry; didn't mean to derail this. I suppose I was taken aback since this is the first I'd seen of the new Exile as portrayed in ToR.

Speaking on VarsityPuppet's head, it looks good, though it doesn't seem superior to, or really distinct enough from, the adapted PFHC05d1. Which is not to say that it's a bad job by any means (in fact, I'd encourage continuation of it, if only because you're discovering ways to make the danglymeshes work, which could have positive implications on future mods), but in a way, I think the latter just fits better--even though all it required was a hair colour change--mostly because of the face, which, not even gonna lie, looks entirely more attractive and is probably the closest thing we'll get to the picture I linked above.

I think the latter just fits better--even though all it required was a hair colour change--mostly because of the face, which, not even gonna lie, looks entirely more attractive and is probably the closest thing we'll get to the picture I linked above.

To each his own. Sure, maybe the face wasn't correct, but I don't think the one on Kotorfiles is any closer. I know exactly which head to use though...

• 3 weeks later...
I know it doesn't look EXACTLY like the TOR version, but what do you guys think of, in all likelihood, my official canon version of The Exile?

Show spoiler

1QyuE.jpg

FvTKr.jpg

cplVj.jpg

Got the piercing blue eyes, skin can be paler if needed and the brown hair that people seem to associate with the Jedi Exile.

Question: Is there any way to shorten the bridge of the nose juuust a smidge and maybe narrow the mouth without wreaking too much havoc?

Other than that, I'd say you're pretty damn close to Surik's canonical face.

Archived