Home

Animated Textures: How do you make them?

I have searched everywhere on these forums and parts of google for information pertaining to how one would create or edit a texture in Kotor that animates and I have found nothing that even steers me in the right direction.

What is the method one would go about to create an animated texture? Will it require more than mere texture editing programs? Will I need to reference it in code?

I have a basic understanding of what animated textures look like (a huge row of small pictures), but when I try to edit them in Photoshop, they stop animating.

n truth, the thing is that where other games might use a more complicated method to animate textures, KOTOR doesn't. Aside for the texture, you'd need this in the TXI file:

proceduretype cycle
defaultwidth XXX(replace XXX with width of one frame)
defaultheight XXX(replace XXX with height of one frame)
numx X(replace X with how many frames horizontally)
numy X(replace X with how many frames vertically)
fps XX(how fast the frames should animate, should be an even number)

For the size of each frame, it should have the size of say:

256x256

512x512

1024x1024(likely not any higher than this, since even this size might cause the game to lag, unless you only intend on two frames with this size)

As for the texture itself, it should have a number of instances of the original, and only an even number of them. Once this is done, you need to make changes to the frames, which the game will switch between, making the animation.

The game itself does use this in a few places, but it is mostly low res, usually for monitor screens and such.

For the size of each frame, it should have the size of say:

256x256

512x512

1024x1024(likely not any higher than this, since even this size might cause the game to lag, unless you only intend on two frames with this size)

As for the texture itself, it should have a number of instances of the original, and only an even number of them. Once this is done, you need to make changes to the frames, which the game will switch between, making the animation.

Wow! simple yet complicated. Are there any tutorials on how I would use photoshop to make the animation? I understand the basics on how to make frames, but besides that........I've no idea. Also, am I supposed to change the file format when I edit it or before I put it in-game?... Once again, no idea how to do this...!

Wow! simple yet complicated. Are there any tutorials on how I would use photoshop to make the animation? I understand the basics on how to make frames, but besides that........I've no idea. Also, am I supposed to change the file format when I edit it or before I put it in-game?... Once again, no idea how to do this...!

You still save the image as a tga. As for the animation, it isn't complicated, though it depends on exactly what it is that you want to do. But either way, you just edit the frames.

Archived