Home

Fan made KotOR game

colshin

NEW OLD REPUBLIC: THE FALLEN EMPIRE

Not a mod, but rather a whole new game. This project started July 2011 by CptPriceless and myself and has been in development ever since.

It survived a dozen rewrites, me leaving for the university and later the Red Army. Yet it's still alive and doing incredibly well.

Only this time we're bringing it to the third dimension. So please keep an eye on the project and see what it grows into.

As for the story, setting and all that stuff check out CptPriceless's post below.

STATUS

2D VERSION

- 75% ready minus the content

3D VERSION

- Loading modules/entities/lights/skybox

- Movement, physics, animations, AI

- Flexible camera

- Preliminary combat support

- Dialogue UI

SCREENSHOTS

2D VERSION

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

0vk3.png

qh04.png

11yt.png

4lv.png

t6f.png

ekf.png

5tjp.png

rcx2.png

jvju.png

usln.png

eq5h.png

3D VERSION

Show spoiler

Flexible camera

7jxx.jpg

Preliminary combat support

ckjm.jpg

Dialogue UI

z0sc.jpg

DOWNLOADS

2D VERSION

The Engine

The Game

3D VERSION

Coming soon

SOFTWARE

2D VERSION

- Love2D

- Sprite Sheet Packer

- Govorilka

3D VERSION

- Panda3D

BOTH

- Notepad++

- Blender

- Paint.NET

- Audacity

PERSONAL INSPIRATIONS

- Alex the CptPriceless

- KotOR series

- Jedi Knight series

- The Elder Scrolls series

- Hitman series

ALL STORYLINE UPDATES WILL BE MADE IN THIS POST

Colshin, was adamant about the name: "NEW OLD REPUBLIC: THE FALLEN EMPIRE." "New Old Republic" was his idea, "The Fallen Empire" was my contribution.

UPDATE [6/8/12]: Concept art has been released! Check for releases under my album - "New Old Republic: The Fallen Empire."

UPDATE [7/10/13]: PM IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

Show spoiler
Starting next month, Colshin and I will be very busy with school work, jobs, volunteer work, etc. Although the project will still continue, progress will be slowed dramatically. Because we won't be able to work as much as we would like, we're currently looking for people who can assist in and accomplish the following jobs:

Concept Art | Drawing characters, modules, ships, etc.

Asset Art | Drawing icons, sprites, textures, effects, tiles, etc. Asset artists will need to know how to use software such as Blender/3ds, GIMP/photoshop, or any other similar software.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and credited.

UPDATE [7/20/13]: Kr1ffing_Br1lliant has joined our team! He will be doing concept art.

UPDATE [7/31/13]: Fallen Guardian has joined our team! He will be a cowriter, as well as a potential skinner!

UPDATE [7/31/13]: Paddy Garcia has joined our team! He will be a cowriter.

This is not a mod this will run on a completely separate engine. Colshin is the main engineer of this project; he introduced the idea of creating KotOR III on a separate engine and is in charge of coding the game itself. I'm the lead writer and concept-artist.

PROGRESS:

Plot - 100%

Storyline - 60% (Characters [with concept sketches], Events, Sequence, Planets, Etc)

Dialogue - 0.2%

Classes - 70% (background, attributes, skills, feats, powers, so on)

Writing System - 60% (Classes^, Damage, Items, so on)

DEVELOPER'S BLOG

Click this.

TITLE CRAWL:

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

NEW OLD REPUBLIC

THE FALLEN EMPIRE

Four years after the conclusion of the DARK WARS, the GALACTIC REPUBLIC has gained a delicate stability. Previous conflicts have strained the REPUBLIC'S resources and the once revered JEDI COUNCIL has faded into memory.

Unbeknownst to the recovering REPUBLIC, remnants of DARTH REVAN'S SITH EMPIRE, unyielding insurrectionists, and warring criminal organizations vie for GALACTIC SUPREMACY.

In an effort to palliate these hidden threats, covert reinforcements approach the surface of ORD MANTELL…

STORY

Prior to the Mandalorian Wars, the Republic, scarred from the occurrences of Exar Kun's Great Sith War, established a police force tasked with preventing another galactic conflict. Nobody anticipated, however, that a threat from the Unknown Regions - the Mandalorians - would so rapidly invade and terrorize Republic space. Shortly after the appearance of this new enemy, Republic reformed its military, transforming its police forces into army soldiers sent to combat the Mandalorian threat.

Some elite policemen, however, were recruited by a secret organization named, "Areani", an intelligence-seeking organization that spearheaded the fight against criminals and terrorists in a conflict overshadowed by the Mandalorian Wars and known only to a few as, "The Great Conspiracy". Though uncredited, Areani and its affiliates successfully safeguarded the Republic's political and economic health from internal threats and factions: namely, the Exchange, the Hutt Cartel, and other factions I will not spoil for the sake of the story.

You will play a character that, during the Mandalorian and Jedi Civil Wars, fought in The Great Conspiracy as a Republic Elite Ranger - most of which were disavowed and turned into Republic Commandos sent to the frontlines. You led a task force and stopped what would have been the most brutal attack against the Republic's foundation and what would have severely crippled the Republic's war effort and chances against the Mandalorians. Yet, despite your previous heroism, betrayal and corruption have caused you to question your allegiances…

MAIN LOCATIONS

Ord Mantell

Coruscant

Corellia

Nal Hutta

Balmorra

Ziost

Taloraan

Yavin IV

Justa

Tatooine

Nathema

Dromund Kaas

EXTRA LOCATIONS

Ilum

Tion

Ossus

Our plan is to release a beta version of the game that will only incorporate the main storyline. After feedback regarding the plot and engine - bugs, plotholes, etc. - we will release a full version with the side planets and extra quests.

PARTY MEMBERS

Lieutenant-Commander Kory

Female Human | Soldier

A sense of duty and dedication to whoever might be in need of her service makes it obvious that Kory has more incentive to fight than credits. The Lieutenant-Commander's skills and motivations will be important to the battles you fight, as well as the battles you pick.

Major Thilian (Temporary)

Female Human | Soldier

Despite all the suspicion and dirt you may have accumulated over the years, Major Thilian has always placed trust in your actions. How you choose to use or abuse that trust will affect the Republic's survival.

Colonel Desh (Temporary)

Male Human | Soldier

An efficient commander and the leader of Republic intelligence on Ord Mantell, Desh will do whatever it takes to see that the Republic prevails.

Kile Gunter

Male Mirialan | Scout

This bounty hunter was once among the most feared in the galaxy. A failed mission, however, caused him to change his view on what he once thought was an "easy galaxy to live in"; now pursued by the Hutts, Kile knows not where to go.

HK-51

Masculine Droid | Assassin

Something about this unit will seem familiar... Don't know what though.

Bala Nisi

Female Kiffar | Jedi Archiver

Although her time in the halls of the Jedi Library have hindered her skill with a lightsaber, Morgana's vast knowledge of Jedi history and adeptness with the Force will make her a powerful asset to your squad.

Vargas

Male Human | Jedi Watchman

Having fought for both sides in the Great Sith War between the Jedi Council and Exar Kun's Brotherhood of the Sith, Vargas possesses experience and wisdom that will be invaluable not only for the Council's efforts, but also for your own.

Naresha Katarsis

Female Nagai | Scoundrel

Trained by the Zeison Sha, Naresha is a ruthless, cold, efficient, and tactical individual. She is skilled in various areas of warfare - survival, espionage, and most notably, assassination.

Talia Szin

Female Twi'lek/Zeltron Hybrid | Scout

A victim of atrocity, Talia is well-aware of the underground brutality that now seemingly transcends the order that has long been promoted by the Galactic Republic. Leading her gang called, "Vice", Talia will assist you in your fight against criminality in the galaxy.

Cravvus Thao

Male Zabrak | Cyborg Engineer

Cravvus' brilliant mind is unfortunately overshadowed by the poor reputation of his company - Czerka Corporation. He believes, however, that Czerka can turn itself around and capitalize on its potential to positively impact the galaxy.

Cyrus Vark

Male Miraluka | Assassin

A heavily modified individual, Cyrus possesses traits that even the greatest of warriors lack. At the same time, however, Cyrus is unaware of where his true loyalties lie. Will you steer him toward the light? Or will you drive him down the path of darkness and destruction?

Canderous Ordo

Male Human | Soldier

The Mandalorian is back and as loyal as ever. He remains vigilant in his efforts to unite the Mandalorian clans and preserve their honor... as well as his own.

SOFTWARE

Scrivener (Freeware Version: LyX)

Writing and organizing the Story Bible - including plot, characters, factions, locations, storyline, etc.

OmniGraffle Pro (Freeware Version: yEd)

Writing dialogue and sequences.

Microsoft Excel (Freeware Versions: LibreOffice, Open Office, Kingsoft Office)

Creating charts for Classes, Characters, Levels, Abilities, Feats, etc.

Microsoft Word (Freeware Versions:LibreOffice, Open Office, Kingsoft Office))

inalizing and publishing the Story Bible

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

legally it has to be free unless they want to have a legal battle to making money off a copyrighted product. Fan Fictions and Mods under the Fair Use Act do have their limits due to the copyright laws. So if they want to make money off this, they need to ask Lucas Arts and Bioware if they using the Kotor 1 game to do this. If they are using the Kotor 2, they need to make a deal with Lucas Arts and Obisdan for this, if they want to make their own product and sell it.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have finally updated the Developer's Blog!

Also, the first two posts in this thread will be edited, meaning new updates will be made only in the first two threads. The above post shows otherwise, I guess, but as for my own post, I intend to keep all updates in there and not spam the thread. :) So if you have any interest for or in this project, check periodically, even if the thread isn't bolded! :D

I have finally updated the Developer's Blog!

Also, the first two posts in this thread will be edited, meaning new updates will be made only in the first two threads. The above post shows otherwise, I guess, but as for my own post, I intend to keep all updates in there and not spam the thread. :) So if you have any interest for or in this project, check periodically, even if the thread isn't bolded! :D

Stupid question I know, but will this be 2D or 3D?

Please say 3D...

And what programming language is the engine?

I see in one of the screenshots that there is an "Enable Cheats" setting. Are you really adding cheats to your own game? That's awesome, but I'd feel kind of guilty if I cheated right away before beating it at least once. :p

We were testing modules and got tired of having to play through the entire thing over and over again. Those "cheats" were more for experimenting with newly implemented content and features. I doubt we'll actually use cheats in the end product. :p

Archived