Home

Sooo advice anyone?

DarthOlc

So... I was putting away dishes and my cat knocked my iPad off the counter. About 4ish feet. The corner is all messed up and there is a crack in the screen. It works perfectly fine. I'm actually using it now to post this. I'm hoping it's totally a cosmetic issue. Any advice? If it works do you HAVE to replace the glass, I can't afford to replace it right now...

Call Apple?

Contacting the manufacturer is always the first thing you want to do to see what they can do about it... if they can't do anything, try a third party repair service, if they can't help, time to replace it with a new one.

I did call the manufacturer and they said its be like $75 to repair it. But it works perfectly fine... I'll look into the third party, just have to find one in town. Oh thanks by the way! I didn't think anyone would actually reply.

If you're ok with using it in its current blemished state, I say keep on keepin' on.

If not, I'd definitely check craigslist to find a local third party who can pop some new parts onto it. Unless you've taken apart a lot of electronics before I would not suggest trying to do it yourself. :)

If you're ok with using it in its current blemished state, I say keep on keepin' on.

If not, I'd definitely check craigslist to find a local third party who can pop some new parts onto it. Unless you've taken apart a lot of electronics before I would not suggest trying to do it yourself. :)

haha thank you guys :) I feel comfortable with it. But I just didn't know if things were gonna get worse or if anyone else had th problem and would shed come light on it.

Sounds like the outer pane of glass just has a crack. So long as the fundamental layer of LCD isn't compromised and bleeding, I'd seriously leave it alone. IF you're determined to get it fixed I would say do it legit.

The non legit is trying yourself--it may be a "can of worms". I've only ever succeeded in replacing batteries in 2nd gen nanos and similar. Also such a thing needs a good set of precision screwdrivers, a little real experience and knowledge so you know what you're doing, an antistatic wrist strap with good grounding (don't want a stray ZAP to fry anything), steady hands, and obviously a reliable source for replacement parts. Maybe support of nerds who physically hack items such as ipods found on blogs and forums.

Even so, success is far from guaranteed. You'll save money but is it worth the risk?

I should qualify myself: people have dumped off their ipods on me so I've had a few to practice or experiment on. Shaky proposition at best.

Thanks guys. Well honestly I've checked out the local places, and they are still alittle too pricey for my taste so I came up with a mixture of your experiences. I'm gonna just leave it be and then work a few odd jobs to save up the money to get it fixed. Thank you all so much

Archived