Home

Star Wars 1313

Alexrd

I like how everyone is equating this game to other games XD

I personally equate it to Dead Space without the monsters and such... but we do have dark industrial areas, over-the-shoulder gameplay, platforming which I'm assuming will be light with more of a shooter element to it. They've said it'll have the cinematic elements throughout the gameplay and they're aiming to have players not know the difference between a cutscene and gameplay... which is pretty much exactly what Dead Space 2 pulled off pretty well.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, almost all of the cinematic action beside shooting and running was done through QTEs on DS2. Which is fine, I'm not sure the game would go well along with wall-running and pulling other stunts.

Which may happen on 1313. That's the difference I see between those games. :)

Hmm, almost all of the cinematic action beside shooting and running was done through QTEs on DS2. Which is fine, I'm not sure the game would go well along with wall-running and pulling other stunts.

Which may happen on 1313. That's the difference I see between those games. :)

There were actually very fewQTE's in DS2 and when they happened it wasn't during the most cinematic elements of the game... when I mean cinematic elements, I'm talking about parts of the game where the camera wasn't locked over-the-shoulder and really threw you around.

Interessant. I dig the idea of full-body motion capture, but I wonder if it'll be anything like L.A. Noire. Also, the part where they mention that players won't know if its gameplay or a cutscene, because it'll be seamlessly blended.

IIRC, LucasArts was the first video game developer to use cinematic cutscenes in video games with Maniac Mansion.

I'm just hoping there's going to be appropriate allotments of chest-high walls to all Coruscant residents by the time it comes out.

they mention that players won't know if its gameplay or a cutscene
The part where the player loses all control/input could be a minor clue. The only way it could be "seamless" is if the game is essentially one long cutscene with the occasional QTE. Would not surprise me in the least if LA put out a game like that.

Through shared tools and technologies while using the Unreal engine as a foundation, the teams are able to create a more emotional and visceral connection between the game and the player. With cutting edge full body performance capture, high-end Hollywood visual effects techniques and leveraging Lucasfilm talent across the board, Star Wars 1313 promises to deliver a completely immersive experience set in a brand new mature Star Wars world.

That explains the use of the Unreal engine.

The part where the player loses all control/input could be a minor clue. The only way it could be "seamless" is if the game is essentially one long cutscene with the occasional QTE. Would not surprise me in the least if LA put out a game like that.

I know I keep referring to it, but it's the best example in my mind of what they could be talking about... but Dead Space 2 did this constantly, not just with action but with your interaction with other characters. It would seamlessly go from the standard in-control over-the-shoulder view and then fluidly switch to a more cinematic character dialogue scene.

Plus it doesn't have to be big over the top cutscenes, it could spawn more subtle moments like entering a new area and then suddenly you see an Imperial shuttle crash land into the side of this huge chasm leading down into the depths of Coruscant, all the camera has to do is still be positioned behind the player but quickly point up and to the left or right or whatever to catch this event happening.

I mean, I can understand the fear that people have about gameplay + cutscenes = quick time events... but I've seen plenty of examples of games moving away from this in interesting ways.

But yeah... all of these techniques are used heavily in Dead Space 2...

If it changes perspective and takes away player control, it's not seamless. Half-Life 2 is the only game I know that does anything like what they are talking about, because it doesn't actually have cutscenes, it just gates you into an area where some stuff is going on. You're free to wander around ignoring it as you please though. The dreaded "cinematic" buzzword implies the exact opposite of that sort of approach.

If it changes perspective and takes away player control, it's not seamless. Half-Life 2 is the only game I know that does anything like what they are talking about, because it doesn't actually have cutscenes, it just gates you into an area where some stuff is going on. You're free to wander around ignoring it as you please though. The dreaded "cinematic" buzzword implies the exact opposite of that sort of approach.

What you're talking about is not what I'm talking about... what I'm talking about is this...

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

For some part you don't have control, for other parts you do... but it doesn't cut to black, the camera doesn't go shot, reverse shot, it's cinematic but it's fluid from cutscene to gameplay to a quick qte to gameplay with cinematic camera jazz happening. And this really isn't a bad thing, it's actually quite fun. I really hope 1313 captures this kind of thing... cause it's awesome.

And just to make the point, just because you don't have control 100% of the time doesn't mean it's not seamless. The transition between all of what's in the video is seamless. The game progressed through several different things without skipping a beat.

Mostly due to mature storylines, I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic.

Its not the Clone Wars era, and it seems to have realistic graphics... thats enough for me, I honestly thought we were gonna get cartoon network kid stuff forever. I'm optimistic

We had two The Force Unleashed games and The Old Republic with no TCW-related game in the meantime, so I don't understand where that "cartoon network kid stuff forever" comes from.

Assuming you're talking about The Clone Wars, that is.

no TCW-related game in the meantime, so I don't understand where that "cartoon network kid stuff forever" comes from.

Games: (Console, PC, Flash, and Mobile)

The Clone Wars Video game

Jedi Trials

Clone Wars Adventures

The Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance

Fierce Twilight

Path of the Jedi

Yoda Battle Slash

Republic Ace

The Clone Wars: Clones vs. Droids

The Clone Wars: Live Fire

The Clone Wars: Sharpshooter

Gunship Over Florrum

Swamp Station Sweep

Droids Over Iego

Clone Weapons Training

Force Jump Training

Air Strike

Jetpack Trooper

Cad Bane: Jedi Hunter

The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels

The Clone Wars: Republic heroes

The Clone Wars mobile game

Reference Books and Visual Guides:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Visual Guide Ultimate Battles

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: New Battlefronts: The Visual Guide

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Official Episode Guide: Season 1

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Official Episode Guide Series 1 & 2

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia

The Clone Wars Campaign Guide, a sourcebook for the Wizards of the Coast role-playing game.

Novels:

The Clone Wars: Wild Space by Karen Miller—December 9, 2008

The Clone Wars: No Prisoners by Karen Traviss—May 19, 2009

Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth by Karen Miller—February 23, 2010

Clone Wars Gambit: Siege by Karen Miller—July 6, 2010

The Clone Wars is the flagship project of Star Wars now, you wont find a picture of Han Solo on StarWars.com (btw I love the prequels, some think my distaste for the clone wars stems from a hatred for the prequels), the Old republic is "The Clone Wars 3,300BBY" and the Force unleashed was released before the Clone Wars (Its sequel was an ill conceived fan service, and disappointment)

For future reference, you and I will never agree on this old, old, argument, you know I hate the Clone Wars and everything it has spawned and destroyed, and you are its Champion, our discussing it is annoying the rest of the forum members :)

For future reference, you and I will never agree on this old, old, argument, you know I hate the Clone Wars and everything it has spawned and destroyed, and you are its Champion, our discussing it is annoying the rest of the forum members :)

Fair enough, but counting flash games is not a good strawman. ;)

Archived