Home

Star Wars 1313

Alexrd

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To my great shock, something like this is exactly what I was hoping for (other than KotOR III of course ;)). I don't want to get too excited yet, since we don't really know anything about it except what it looks like, but at least it seems LA is taking a step in the right direction.

Yeah, if it's a flop it's because they let it be a flop, you can't say they didn't at least start with a great idea.

Bit of an article by Kotaku. Important stuff quoted:

Don't get too attached to the guy you see shooting blasters and jumping from ship in Star Wars 1313's screenshots and videos. He's just a placeholder character plopped into place for the purposes of the game's unveiling.

---

The demo I saw this morning centered on two very human bounty hunters descending into the subterranean bowels beneath Coruscant's surface, drawing from some of the same stuff shown in the game's worldwide debut. The pair were apparently on the hunt for the sentients they were assigned to capture. With one captured creature in tow, the pair board a transport only to have it attacked by a Hunter-Killer droid type leading a squad of assailants.

---

The live PC demo was controlled by an Xbox 360 Logitech controller and Robilliard says that they're using a heavily modified Unreal 3 engine with lots of plug-ins and add-ons to make things pop the way they do. 1313 represents the first time that ILM, LucasFilm Animation, Skywalker Sound and LucasArts are all working full-time on a game project. The company knows they have to win back gamers' trust—I'll have more on that later this week—after the disappointing debacle of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2.

One complaint I have long held for the SW universe is... they don't come across as releases of, well, WAR. Like when I watch war movies and such. Seems more like epic storytellings about the heroes and villains. This title looks like it might change all of that. I certainly do hope so. I would not mind the grunge, dirt and filth. Some of the more down to earth and bloody aspects of warfare. Maybe I'm just trying to humanize it, and it does risk making the experience seem un-starwars-y, but I want to see equipment and intrigue that matches. This looks like it won't disappoint. This may be speaking too soon, though.

I think the most Wars-y they could get would be to have some game focussing on one of the great Jedi-Sith wars of long ago, with conflicts being fought on the ground by jedi/sith soldiers in epic battles involving hundreds, even thousands of combatants. Something like the Battle of Russan, with Lord of the Rings-scale set-pieces. Now that would be one hell of a war among the stars.

But regarding your point, I personally don't see how what we've seen of 1313 relates to war at all. It seems to be like another story of an individual hero's exploits, like most of SW media. And bounty hunter's are usually very individualistic (they have the skills of [sometimes elite] soldiers, but they offer their services for coin, rather than a cause), so this would probably imply the afforementioned point.

Unless, of course, our bounty hunter friend ends up joining the rebellion. But, there's nothing to base any such conjecture on, because, as Sabre pointed out, the guy in the demo isn't even the main character.

I hope it has a real ending. A sort of catch 22, not completely happy but left to the eye of the beholder. Sort of your call a moral or value judgment.

After a long boss fight with lots of falling stuff and fire, our hero learns a moral lesson and the final scene has him breaking the Coruscant surface to see the glorious sun, symbolising the redemption he has achieved after his long trials in the underworld.

Calling it.

So what are the odds that this is Fett as a teen?

In season 4 of the clone wars series, Fett is already in his teens, if Fett does get attached to this game he'd have to be somewhere in his 20s I would think.

Has it been revealed when this game is going on?

I guess I speak in the name of every cell, organ and muscle of my body when I say I'd rather have a new character. Sort of what TFU did with Starkiller, but with less Mary Sue involved.

Definitely.

Personally, a suicidal, deathstick addicted ex Coruscant cop turned hunter would be awesome, but I imagine that's far too dark a personality to be considered.

Has it been revealed when this game is going on?

I would hazard a guess at between 19BBY - 0 BBY, they have imperial shuttles and technology it seems, but then so does the Sith Empire in SWTOR, so its anyones guess atm lol

Wookieepedia has it within the Rise of the Empire era... but thats anything from 1000 BBY - 4 ABY

It definitely shows an Imperial Shuttle and TIE Fighters the way we know them in in the original trilogy, so there's no question that it's set some time after Revenge of the Sith.

As for the main character... it all really depends on where they're going with the story of this game that'll determine what kind of character we get. Even if it's Boba Fett in his 20s, if the story fits and I really don't see the problem with him being in the game.

In terms of a self abusing "mature" character with all these problems and such... if they decide to go down that path, they better be prepared to make the story extremely relevant to all of the characters faults. The other downside is to make him or her (we really don't know at this stage) too flawed that it becomes too much of a cliché itself or the character is just completely unlikable.

Personally, I'd like to see a character somewhere half-way between Nathan Drake and Isaac Clarke. Capable in their fields, cocky, flawed and maybe even a little scarred. But not to extreme on any of those points because the key would be to make him the every man or woman.

Or maybe the character could be more mysterious and be more of an observer with the game allowing us to solve problems and progress using different methods that could shape our own character... without using a dark/light system of course, I'm thinking more along the lines of how there'd be multiple solutions to a problem and we choose the option we think the character would choose, so we end up shaping our personal characters, whoever he or she is...

I'm disappointed.

A most likely (from what I can tell) linear story, and generic Uncharted-like combat.

I also don't understand how he's living if he's jumping off of a ship like that onto one that's burning.

Oh yes this. I'm totally up for a Star Wars Max Payne.

Hahaha nice analogy.

I'm all for a death-sticks/spice addict for a character (or at least a key companion). But I distinctively remember those drug references being censored or removed in a Star Wars media, don't recall which. I wonder if we'll see those or even more interesting, Hutts with investment in drug dealing.

• 1 month later...
Why can't they just make a decent Bounty hunter RPG....You would think after KoToR they could just take what they learned there and apply it to a different scenario/story line.

That's why you have The Old Republic for. Why would they make a marketing move against their own product?

That's why you have The Old Republic for. Why would they make a marketing move against their own product?

In a Marketing perspective it is not a contradictive move....ALOT of people avoid ToR simply because it is a MMORPG and many prefer the single-player style. Comparing the 2 is like comparing Clone War adventures to ToR. The general customer group are completely different targets unless i missed something and 1313 is a Multiplayer MMO.

In a Marketing perspective it is not a contradictive move....ALOT of people avoid ToR simply because it is a MMORPG and many prefer the single-player style.

That's true. But creating a single player RPG would remove a lot of people from TOR.

Comparing the 2 is like comparing Clone War adventures to ToR.

No, it isn't.

The general customer group are completely different targets unless i missed something and 1313 is a Multiplayer MMO.

A game doesn't need to be the same genre to get a certain audience from another game.

That's true. But creating a single player RPG would remove a lot of people from TOR.

No, it isn't.

A game doesn't need to be the same genre to get a certain audience from another game.

True that it doesn't HAVE to be the same genre but i would say the genre is over 70% of the draw. You very seldom see CoD players as the same people that stayed on WoW for 5 years and as an RPG player i hardly ever play FPS games...i think the last FPS game i played was the original Halo.

Edit: Also ToR is pretty low pop wise for an MMO anyways especially when F2P MOBA's are beating it in the active account department. Also i would guess Perfect world and Forsaken world are also crushing it on population and WoW...well lets not even compare it to WoW population wise lol.

Archived