Home

Star Wars 1313

Alexrd

Yeah, cause a PC game with gameplay based that found in console games just doesn't fit with a console. It most likely won't look as crisp, have no anti-alisaing, lower res textures and be a 720p game upscaled to 1080p... but aside from that there's not really all that much to this game that's been revealed so far that current generation consoles can't achieve, especially in the later stage of the 360/PS3's lifespan where developers have actually figured out all the tricks to make games look way better than you'd think they'd normally look on them.

Though, saying that, I think Sabre has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ adamq: Brilliant, I actually hadn't thought along those lines at all... if they make the main character of 1313 a generic template you simply use to create your own character just like in Mass Effect and other RPGs... it would be pretty sweet.

I hope someone at LucasArts has been thinking along those lines too.

I assume it'll be like mass effect with the "Cover Shepard" being in the trailer... when you get in-game you can be as Black or white as ya like.

@ adamq: Brilliant, I actually hadn't thought along those lines at all... if they make the main character of 1313 a generic template you simply use to create your own character just like in Mass Effect and other RPGs... it would be pretty sweet.

I hope someone at LucasArts has been thinking along those lines too.

Hmmm, I dunno.. IME appearance customization in non RPG's don't go much further than apparel/skins, and I don't see any RPG elements in those gameplay trailers.

In which rulebook does it say you have to stick that kind of thing in RPGs only? If it were put in, you could just push start to use the generic space marine dude or you can not push start and instead go down to the option that lets you customise stuff and allow you to add your personal touch to the game even if it's just cosmetic.

Of course, in doing so it can change the game entirely for a lot of people because they now have a much deeper ownership of their character which can make the events of the game much better for a lot of people even if there really isn't any variation or choice in it.

Of course, I'm sure LucasArts isn't doing any of this so you can be comfortable with a much more generic Uncharted Star Wars edition :p

In which rulebook does it say you have to stick that kind of thing in RPGs only?

No rule; it just doesn't seem like a logical idea. I mean, why devote time and resources into a highly customizable player character creation process to the ends of promoting player immersion through sense of ownership, if the rest of your game doesn't follow the same principle?

It'd be like creating characters for a drama, and then switching the story to a comedy after the first act.

Well, I mean, I guess that would work if this was some intentional move in an arthouse film or something, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing 1313 is aiming to be, you know? It's like, Hollywood, rather than Sundance. Player experiences and their structures are formulaic and intensive, rather than creative and subtle. Experimenting with them is too risky, and better left to small/Indie projects.

No rule; it just doesn't seem like a logical idea. I mean, why devote time and resources into a highly customizable player character creation process to the ends of promoting player immersion through sense of ownership, if the rest of your game doesn't follow the same principle?

It'd be like creating characters for a drama, and then switching the story to a comedy after the first act.

Well, I mean, I guess that would work if this was some intentional move in an arthouse film or something, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing 1313 is aiming to be, you know? It's like, Hollywood, rather than Sundance. Player experiences and their structures are formulaic and intensive, rather than creative and subtle. Experimenting with them is too risky, and better left to small/Indie projects.

Yet KOTOR was a huge "risk" in its experimental approach to mixing the Turn- Based RPG basis with a narrative and making it all go down in a Third-Person perspective. Battlefront was totally different than any other Star Wars properties as it focused on the perspective of the soldiers fighting all of the movie hero's battles, but it was highly successful. Republic Commando carried the same concept, but applied squad-tactics into the gameplay (also rather untested with the Star Wars license) I could name many more "risky" properties, but the point is that nearly all, if not all of the classic Star Wars "hits" were severely risky, but they paid off.

I think it would be more in this game's benefit if they were to try something different for a change and implement something players can connect with and differentiate it from the Uncharted games it is heavily derived from; and since when has the Lucasarts license followed currently popular games, thusly copied them, and made anything fans actually wanted?

I thought Dark Forces was meant to be like Doom.

To quote Wikipedia:

Unlike many other Doom-based games, Dark Forces attempted a realistic approach: The missions followed a certain storyline, sometimes interrupted by videos to progress the tale. Each mission had its own briefing and objective. The levels were designed to represent actual bases, mines, facilities, and other known places from the Star Wars universe, like Star Destroyer interiors, Jabba's ship, Coruscant, etc.

Still not a full-on clone.

Edit:

Also apparently the Jedi game engine actually expounded on the doom engine's designs and added more capabilities such-as "room-within-room buildings which weren't present in doom or its copies. Dark Forces also relied heavily on puzzle solving which would have been risky if you consider the attention-span of doom shooters.

Edit:

And if I learned how to read context better I would see you're talking about Dark Forces having already covering the "Doom" angle...sorry bout that diatribe there...

@ jigos: I know, that's the point I was trying to make... besides, games that blur the genre lines exist quite frequently outside of indie developer portfolios or arthouse films... that's the point you seem to be missing.

Yet KOTOR was a huge "risk" in its experimental approach to mixing the Turn- Based RPG basis with a narrative and making it all go down in a Third-Person perspective. Battlefront was totally different than any other Star Wars properties as it focused on the perspective of the soldiers fighting all of the movie hero's battles, but it was highly successful. Republic Commando carried the same concept, but applied squad-tactics into the gameplay (also rather untested with the Star Wars license) I could name many more "risky" properties, but the point is that nearly all, if not all of the classic Star Wars "hits" were severely risky, but they paid off.

I think it would be more in this game's benefit if they were to try something different for a change and implement something players can connect with and differentiate it from the Uncharted games it is heavily derived from; and since when has the Lucasarts license followed currently popular games, thusly copied them, and made anything fans actually wanted?

Hnn, you guys might be right. I suppose when i think 'risky' I'm thinking wildly different gameplay mechanic structures, rather than a certain few experimental elements.

@Kr1ffing_Br1lliant: So the lesson learned today is "don't take everything so literally"... :p

@ jigos: Customisable characters isn't such a huge gameplay mechanic... at the very .least 1313 would be really nice if it included the option to have your character be female, you know, for folks who don't want to keep playing another gruff space marine.

@Kr1ffing_Br1lliant: So the lesson learned today is "don't take everything so literally"... :p

Indeed...

... at the very .least 1313 would be really nice if it included the option to have your character be female, you know, for folks who don't want to keep playing another gruff space marine.

..Or in this case, a wiry teen smuggler. :eek:

mechanic... at the very .least 1313 would be really nice if it included the option to have your character be female, you know, for folks who don't want to keep playing another gruff space marine.

Are you implying that females can't be gruff space marines? Wait till I sic the feminist police on you!

Archived