Home

Dead Space 3 confirmed by EA

Following a recent leak of Dead Space 3's first screenshots, Electronic Arts has formally confirmed the game's existence.

yekwx.jpg

Rumors pertaining to Dead Space 3 has been circulating for well over a year now, but it wasn't until recent weeks that we've seen the first real look at the game; its first screenshots, for one, all but confirms some sort of co-op component, as well as the ability to dual-wield weapons.

...the publisher said the third iteration will be officially shown during their E3 press conference on Monday; the first details and debut of the survival horror third-person shooter's footage will be displayed.

Link to the leaked screenshots in the quote.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dead Space with Co-op. Before anybody says the horror element will be gone with this RE-ish move, I gotta say it won't: cheap scares won't fade away with a mate beside you to share the shock. Gotta defer to Bill Yahthzee description of DS:

"And then there are horror games where the guy in the spooky mask goes "abloogy woogy woo" while standing on the far side of a brightly lit room before walking slowly over to you plucking a violin and then slapping you in the face with a t-bone steak."

It's still a fun game with an intricate and surprisingly intriguing in a "I want to know more" way, so I'm hoping for the best.

Gameplay footage from EA's conference at E3 (Warning: Language):

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Well, this co-op feature seems interesting indeed. The immediate question that comes to mind is how they're going to preserve the atmosphere/feel of Dead Space, with a second player. But I also wonder if the co-op feature is going to be used to deliver said dynamics in creative, new ways.

I'm optimistic, and quite excited. That release date is too far away! :hurk:

I've seen an animated dvd of DS for sale at about $9 somewhere, that I now wonder why I never got. The more I look into DS, the more I wonder why I was not interested sooner.

What's wrong with me?

@ JIGOS: The drill vaguely reminds me of the vibranium drill level of Iron Man X-O Manowar: Heavy Metal for the old PS1.

Don't get the animated Dead Space movies and think that's what Dead Space is. Buy the first game and then you'll see what Dead Space is.

As for Dead Space 3... don't worry, in single player mode it'll be the same Dead Space we know and love. Isaac will be very much alone with no AI character tagging along.

Basically the game changes when you play with another character, both in style as well as the events and interactions you have with the game, essentially making Dead Space 3 two different experiences in one.

It'll have the traditional Dead Space feel and then it'll have the feel of what Resident Evil has turned into now. I think Visceral has done a really good thing with this in balancing out the two different styles of games different groups like to play and putting it all in the one game... cause believe it or not, but there are people who actually prefer the more action orientated thing rather than the mysterious tension building side of Dead Space that the rest of us love.

Don't get the animated Dead Space movies and think that's what Dead Space is. Buy the first game and then you'll see what Dead Space is.

As for Dead Space 3... don't worry, in single player mode it'll be the same Dead Space we know and love. Isaac will be very much alone with no AI character tagging along.

Basically the game changes when you play with another character, both in style as well as the events and interactions you have with the game, essentially making Dead Space 3 two different experiences in one.

It'll have the traditional Dead Space feel and then it'll have the feel of what Resident Evil has turned into now. I think Visceral has done a really good thing with this in balancing out the two different styles of games different groups like to play and putting it all in the one game... cause believe it or not, but there are people who actually prefer the more action orientated thing rather than the mysterious tension building side of Dead Space that the rest of us love.

So it's gonna go the route of Birth by Sleep and have separate campaigns with their own stories that twist into the overall story, or the Halo 2 route and switch characters at pre-determined spots?

I've seen an animated dvd of DS for sale at about $9 somewhere, that I now wonder why I never got. The more I look into DS, the more I wonder why I was not interested sooner.

Do not get the Dead Space dvd's. Just don't - they're horrible. As Lynk says: not Dead Space at all. If you want to be introduced to the franchise, play DS1. Then, if you happen to like the IP, watch the movies to see/learn a little bit more about the universe. But as I said: they're not not that great as movies, either.

@ JIGOS: The drill vaguely reminds me of the vibranium drill level of Iron Man X-O Manowar: Heavy Metal for the old PS1.

I've never even heard of those games.. :giveup:

Do not get the Dead Space dvd's. Just don't - they're horrible. As Lynk says: not Dead Space at all. If you want to be introduced to the franchise, play DS1. Then, if you happen to like the IP, watch the movies to see/learn a little bit more about the universe. But as I said: they're not not that great as movies, either.

Ok. Well if you and Lynk say no, then I suppose I won't even touch the dvd.

I'll just go straight to the game.

I've never even heard of those games.. :giveup:

That's all just one game. Marvel and Acclaim made it a joint production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_and_X-O_Manowar_in_Heavy_Metal

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSQrs-M-vdO0NUcoxE2UtGDO4pL-iOHJ1SrIFaY1azpHvWxUU5Xjn7lpZQ

It's...okay I guess for being what it is... a 1996 sidescroll action game.

Acclaim IMO dropped the ball hard for buying up Valiant Comics. I think this was the reason Marvel decided to do crossover business with Capcom.

• 2 weeks later...

It's obvious from the very beginning that the Necromorphs were heavily inspired by The Thing, and Dead Space 3 takes that connection to the next level with the mutations that occur depending on how you dismember your targets now... one thing that worries me is that if I start shooting out a Necromorphs legs, will they mutate into a Leaper? That scares the hell out of me cause Leapers tend to be the most dangerous Necromorphs out of them all, especially in Dead Space 2. One really interesting thing about the end of the demo is that that boss they called The Nexus looks like a more advanced or a different form of The Hivemind from the first Dead Space... very interesting.

I also liked that they made it a point to show both single and co-op and the differences they produce in the game. We've talked about this before in the thread and they finally showed it happening.

Oh, also, I like the way Isaac is looking in this game, he looks totally stressed out and the emotional and psychological affects of dealing with Necromorphs is really getting to him. Though at the same time, instead of like in the first two games where he's ended up being forced to endure each outbreak, in Dead Space 3 he's gone from hunted to hunter and is actively trying to stop both the EarthGov and the Unitologists from using the marker.

Of course, to complicate that, the only other person he trusts in the universe goes missing and he ends up being conflicted between his mission and making sure Ellie is okay... which makes the John Carver character much needed since Isaac will need an opposing force to try to keep him back on track to their primary objective. You can already see the tension between them and it makes me wonder how far they'll take it. Be interesting if suddenly your co-op partner becomes the target for a part during the game.

Finally, for anyone who's interested...

Isaac in Dead Space 1 (original model, early 40s looking, well fed, rested, a normal guy)

IsaacClarke.jpg

Isaac in Dead Space 2 (newer model based on Gunner Wright, Isaac's voice actor, looks more like he's in his early 30s, hairline change, underfed, tired, stressed, stubble, generally unhappy)

Isaac_Clarke_DS2.jpg

Isaac in Dead Space 3 (using Gunner Wrights face as a base again, hair grown out, bearded, even more tired, even more stressed, generally looks like he's sick of this **** but has no choice, not that he did in the first place)

deadspace3beard.jpg

For the Dead Space 3 model, I kind of see it going back and taking some subtle cues from the original model and combining it with the elements on the Gunner Wright based one from Dead Space 2.

The only two times you were ever able to was at the very start of DS1 and at the very end.

(spoiler vid for those who STILL haven't played...)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived