Home

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DS3 to have 11 DLC's on release date.

ಠ_ಠ

This, on top of in game micro-transactions? Flippin' a (Or should I say "flippin *e*a?").

Though I must say that I'm happy to disregard the micro-transactions if they're not gameplay impeding ones, like in free-to-play mobile games. If they're not, then that's another story.

But these day-one-DLC's? That's just ridiculous.

*sighs*

So... people are going to see me as some brainless defender of the game just because I like it... but I have to say something.

Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 had a tonne of day 1 DLC as well. All of it being optional stuff that was basically just different suit skins and weapon packs that had different skins too. Some of these suits tended to be more powerful than the variant you'd start off with and this was all fine. It was all optional stuff... in the 90s you'd find these kind of things as unlockables depending on what you achieved in the game like finishing it on hard mode or whatever.

NONE of this should be a surprise to anyone who looks at Dead Space 3 since they have been on the first two games to start off with.

Now, on to the micro-transactions that everyone dreads. The microtransactions are actually listed among the 11 sets of DLC that are being listed. They are NOT a separate thing as jigos is trying to make it seem.

Here's the list to clarify...

- Bot Capacity Upgrade - $4.99 (UPGRADE)

- Bot Personality Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)

- First Contact Pack - Free (For folks who pre-order the game I believe) (UPGRADE/SKIN)

- Marauder Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)

- Sharpshooter Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)

- Tundra Recon Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)

- Witness the Truth Pack - $4.99 (UPGRADE/SKIN)

- Bot Accelerator - $4.99 (UPRADE)

- Epic Weapon & Resource Pack - $2.99 (WEAPON SCHEMATICS + MICROTRANSACTION)

- Online Pass - $9.99 (THE USUAL BULL**** TO GET MONEY OUT OF FOLKS WHO BUY SECOND HAND)

- Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack - $1.99 (WEAPON SCHEMATICS + MICROTRANSACTION)

- Resource Pack - $0.99 (MICROTRANSACTION)

Now, I HATE DLC. I hardly ever buy into it at all. I've never bought any of the skins for previous Dead Space games and I'm not going to start now... I'm certainly not going to buy the micro-transaction stuff either because it just gives you STUFF YOU CAN ALREADY GET IN THE GAME. It just gives it to you without you putting any effort into the game. It's a pay if you're lazy option. If you play the game normally and get the resources, you can still make everything that the weapon crafting system has to offer WITHOUT spending any real money.

So yeah... it's all stupid, it's nothing new and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'm perfectly happy for them to add it to the game to get free money from the idiots who do buy it because I know that it doesn't actually take away anything from the actual game. The folks at Visceral assured people that that was the case and I choose to believe them... of course, if I play the game and find out otherwise, I'll come back in here and rip Visceral and the game a new one for it. But until then, I'm going with the facts presented.

tl;dr Ya'll blowing it out of proportion (at least everyone on the net that I've seen expressing an opinion about it seems to be), it's all optional, you don't need to buy any of this stuff to get 100% out of the game. It's just a pay if you're lazy option.

Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 had a tonne of day 1 DLC as well.

Just because it's been done before doesn't make it any less dumb.

NONE of this should be a surprise to anyone who looks at Dead Space 3 since they have been on the first two games to start off with.

Not expressing surprise; just disapproval. I fully expected something like this to happen, as you imply, given the franchise's track record.

Now, on to the micro-transactions that everyone dreads. The microtransactions are actually listed among the 11 sets of DLC that are being listed. They are NOT a separate thing as jigos is trying to make it seem.

I should have paid more attention - it seems there are 7 day one DLC's, not 11.

Still 6 more than what would be acceptable. (I don't mind the purchase method DLC's [i.e. special content you get for acquiring the game through different avenues] or the game crossover DLC's [eg, the N7 suit for people who also have Mass Effect 3]. But these pure DLC's? There's no reason that shouldn't be in the game).

But as you say, the devs have full rights to go this way; it's take it or leave it for the consumers.

tl;dr Ya'll blowing it out of proportion (at least everyone on the net that I've seen expressing an opinion about it seems to be)

It seems you're imposing other peoples' exaggerated sentiments onto my post.

I apologise for nothing. People need to be told and if I had to use your post to do it, so be it.

But to explain what the general thing I've been seeing people say around the place, here, skype chat, other forums, herp dero... basically everything Visceral is apparently doing is new to the series and ruining it from its original roots even though, as I've said before, none of this stuff is new and people end up glorifying the original Dead Space as if it was this pure thing. Some folks go as far as saying that Dead Space was real survival horror while 2 and 3 aren't... even though Dead Space is inspired by Resident Evil 4 which wasn't really survival horror (in the oldskool way) to begin with and was very action based, Dead Space continued that in space and Dead Space 2 and 3 simply use the hardware to create more dynamic set pieces but still have the general feel of the original game.

Folks also complained about the demo, saying it was too action dudebro when other people kept on saying "it's a demo of environment pieces cut together, it's not how the final game will be, the demo's for Dead Space 1 and 2 did the same thing" but these asshats are all like "no, Dead Space is ruined forever man"

Then today I've seen posts of people who have gotten their hands on the game and now they're all relieved that the game doesn't actually have any of the bull**** things they thought it would have and people are realising that they've just been complaining over nothing this entire time.

Seriously, the amount of complaining I've seen about the game is so stupid. I mean, the marketing for the game was stupid cause 99% of it was based on attracting a new audience with a few occasional places where folks at Visceral are like "don't worry, we've made sure that existing fans of Dead Space will still get what they want out of the game too, relax, we're just trying to get more people to play the game" but everyone is all like "nah, man, you have to market to ME cause only I matter and even though I'll still buy the game, you have to market to ME ONLY"...

*looks around* whatever. *goes back to playing video games*

Got DS3 in the mail earlier today... :)))

One of the first things i noticed was that if you play ME3 you get the N7 suit... :))))

Btw, the N7 suit looks *nice*... :))))

So far, i have no complaints about the game...

Edit:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
*grumbles* Turns out that the ending of Dead Space 3 is just like in Mass Effect 3... The Hero dies...

Just learned of something pretty cool during my replay of DS3...

Show spoiler
During the spacewalk parts, if you use stasis on those annoying mines that keep trying to kill you and you then shoot said mine while it is under stasis... it looks like a super-nova... :)))

Just finished the game myself. I guess I've got mixed feelings on it as a whole. One of the biggest problems for me was the beginning, or rather how Isaac's story in DS3 started. It was completely actiony with practically zero horror involved. The space wrecks orbiting Tau Volantis were only a slight improvement and I can honestly say that when I ran into the Regenerators again I was "Well, how original, run from two Regenerators instead of just one!" rather than "Oh, crap!". I was, however, surprised by the complete absence of Infectors. Tau Volantis itself was a big improvement in atmosphere and the horror feel, but it was still nowhere near as scary as DS2, let alone DS1. DS3 definitely lost even more of that horror atmosphere, than DS2 did.

Story-wise, it's also a mixed bag, with quite a few inconsistencies.

Show spoiler
There are two major inconsistencies - the Unitologists and the Markers.

In the first game the whole plot was arguably the Unitologists' fault as the Ishimura was crewed primarily by them and they were the ones that removed the Red Marker from Aegis VII and brought it to the Ishimura, all the while worshiping it and the Necromorphs. In DS2 the Unitologists wanted to "free" Isaac from EarthGov so he could build Markers for them. In DS3, however, they suddenly consider all the man-made Marker copies blasphemous and Isaac is the ultimate offender as he is able to build them, yet they still "liberate" them from EarthGov and use them to trigger Necromorph outbreaks.

Secondly, the Markers themselves are still showing inconsistent behavior (well, inconsistent with DS1, but somewhat consistent with DS2, at least). In DS1, the Red Marker, while on the pedestal, created a "dead space" that subdued the Necromorphs and rendered them dormant. While off the pedestal, it triggered "Make Us Whole" hallucinations so it could be returned to the pedestal. In DS2 the Marker suddenly triggers hallucinations and also somehow starts the Necromorph outbreak. In DS3 we learn that a Convergence event actually creates a moon-sized Necromorph and this Necromorph emits the "Make Us Whole" signal through the Markers (!). I guess it would have made some sense, had the Moon been incomplete, but it was simply frozen.

Still, barring these two personal annoyances (yes, I hate inconsistencies of any kind), the story was half-decent. It would have been better without predictable character deaths, inconsistent (here I go again) and often stupid behavior from Carver and Norton and a cliche villain like Jacob Arthur Danik, but it was still relatively entertaining. Luckily, Danik was voiced by Simon Templeman, who masterfully pulled off even a character as cliche as this one.

Overall, the game is OK. It's not the best horror game out there, or the best Dead Space game, but I'm far from calling it utter crap, although I do think there are some crappy things in it. Also, since I'm seeing ME3 comparisons - this game is definitely far above the level of crappy-ness that is Mass Effect 3, at least in my book.

Show spoiler
*grumbles* Turns out that the ending of Dead Space 3 is just like in Mass Effect 3... The Hero dies...

You need to let the end credits go through and you will hear

Show spoiler
Isaac trying to contact Ellie. How the hell he managed to survive both the fall and being crushed by a giant moon-sized Necromorph is beyond me, but he apparently did.

You need to let the end credits go through and you will hear

Show spoiler
Isaac trying to contact Ellie. How the hell he managed to survive both the fall and being crushed by a giant moon-sized Necromorph is beyond me, but he apparently did.

Show spoiler
logo-cerberus.jpg

The crossover begins... coming 2015, Dead Mass Space Effect 4, co-developed by BioWare, Visceral and DICE.

To be honest, I think a cover system has no business being in a Dead Space game, hell, it has no business being in a horror survival game. I do salute the old-school crouch that was present in this game, although it wasn't particularly useful. I do wish it was present in more of today's games.

Finished it, loved it, it ties in nicely with everything else in the franchise and makes a hell of a lot of sense... though granted, that's because I've bought into all of the extra source material including the books, comics, animated movies and side games/dlc which give you more information about the Dead Space lore.

Finished it last night.

Show spoiler
Best Mass Effect game ever
That whole ending was pretty satisfying though, at least I though so. You actually felt like you were fighting for something instead of making ****ty decisions that made no sense.

@ igy: I've never seen Dead Space has a horror franchise considering it was based off of Resident Evil 4. I've always seen it as a tense action shooter that had you thinking about item use and conservation for the most part and what vantage points, tactics and weapons you can use in your environment to give you an upper-hand.

As to some of the things you've pointed out, I think I can explain a few of them...

Originality: There's a lot that's original about the game, but people don't tend to want originality, they want the first game reworked over and over which is why most people tend to be disappointed by Dead Space 2 and 3. I almost feel as if fans seem to want developers to cut out the story entirely and just have a game that randomises the original haunted house in infinite combinations so they can just play through that over and over.

Infectors: The Necromorphs in this game are old... and in some cases, ancient. I'm pretty sure every necromorph you encounter is at least 200+ years old. Also, infectors don't create the necromorphs, they're just there to make the transformation quick instead of over time. It took time for the Unitologists who killed themselves to turn into Necromorphs and when they did, they didn't turn into slashers instantly like an Infector created Necromorph is. I'm sure infectors were probably around on Tau Volantis but they probably turned into something else or combined with something else once they served their purpose.

Now for the spoiler stuff...

Show spoiler
Unitologists: Danick leads a sect of the Unitologists, The Circle, that gained power. His belief is that the Markers created by the government were twisted by them in some way and tainted. He was a believer in the source of the Markers but he didn't represent the whole unified view the Unitologists held. They were the radical fanatics, which is pretty out there considering what Unitologists are like normally...

In Dead Space, it was the first time Unitologists had encountered a Marker since the birth of the religion at the discovery for the Black Marker on Earth. In Dead Space 2 it was a different group of Unitologists, not the Circle, who wanted to capture Isaac.

Also, I don't think this story would have worked without the cliché cult leader or cliché dudebro's as supporting characters. They're not there to be liked, they're there for Isaac to play off of.

As for the ending...

Show spoiler
Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed III, Dead Space 3, all where the main character (seemingly) dies. The difference I see between these three games is that I was actually satisfied with the way it was done with Dead Space since, unlike the other two games, Isaac has suffered greatly in so many ways and is a broken man trying to do what little he can with the fragments he has left. While the main characters of ME3 and AC3 fell from their pedestals, Isaac rose up to do what needed to be done which made his death or supposed death to be... not a bad thing.

As for the post-credits transmission... I'm willing for more Dead Space, and Visceral has pointed out that the end of Dead Space 3 isn't THE END.

The cover system: I had absolutely no issue with it, the human enemies were very few and far between and it was easy to dispose of them quickly (I was playing on Hard mode on my first run, starting Impossible right now...). The cover system actually worked pretty damn well, it worked well in situations when you needed to use it and it never interfered with the game at all since it was only enabled with human enemies in the area. You could crouch and roll whenever you wanted, but that wasn't part of the cover system. In fact, you can easily ignore it if you want and can head shot the Unitologists easily. The only downside with the human enemies I saw was the tone change or the cover system, it was the stupid AI that tended to just run toward you if they got the chance right into your fire.

As for the whole Mass Effect thing people are talking about... you guys are reaching. If anything, you should be thinking of Unicron ;) Think about it.

And yeah, I'll say it one last time... lol @ people thinking Dead Space was ever a survival horror or horror to begin with.

@ igy: I've never seen Dead Space has a horror franchise considering it was based off of Resident Evil 4. I've always seen it as a tense action shooter that had you thinking about item use and conservation for the most part and what vantage points, tactics and weapons you can use in your environment to give you an upper-hand.

I suppose that's one way to look at this game series. Personally, when I see predominantly dark areas with huge bloodstains all over, strange noises, flickering lights, corpses whose demise can only be speculated on based off old text and audio logs and, of course, undead monsters trying to kill you, I associate it with a horror atmosphere. Whether or not it manages to freak me out is a different matter.

Also, I just have to ask - what in the seven hells is an action shooter!? When did this term become the norm for regular shooters and "shooter" the norm for cover-based shooters!?

Originality: There's a lot that's original about the game, but people don't tend to want originality, they want the first game reworked over and over which is why most people tend to be disappointed by Dead Space 2 and 3. I almost feel as if fans seem to want developers to cut out the story entirely and just have a game that randomises the original haunted house in infinite combinations so they can just play through that over and over.

I don't really remember questioning this game's originality, but I do agree with what you said. People sometimes claim to want originality in games and game sequels, but when something original is attempted, they bash it for ruining a beloved series. I'd say it simply proves most "gamers" have no idea what they really want.

Now for the spoiler stuff...

Show spoiler
Unitologists: Danick leads a sect of the Unitologists, The Circle, that gained power. His belief is that the Markers created by the government were twisted by them in some way and tainted. He was a believer in the source of the Markers but he didn't represent the whole unified view the Unitologists held. They were the radical fanatics, which is pretty out there considering what Unitologists are like normally...

In Dead Space, it was the first time Unitologists had encountered a Marker since the birth of the religion at the discovery for the Black Marker on Earth. In Dead Space 2 it was a different group of Unitologists, not the Circle, who wanted to capture Isaac.

Show spoiler
I'll grant you that, but I don't remember it being mentioned anywhere in the game that this is a particular sect of Unitology. Is this something from some tie-in comic book, or novel?

As for the ending...

Show spoiler
Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed III, Dead Space 3, all where the main character (seemingly) dies. The difference I see between these three games is that I was actually satisfied with the way it was done with Dead Space since, unlike the other two games, Isaac has suffered greatly in so many ways and is a broken man trying to do what little he can with the fragments he has left. While the main characters of ME3 and AC3 fell from their pedestals, Isaac rose up to do what needed to be done which made his death or supposed death to be... not a bad thing.

Definitely agree with you on that one.

Show spoiler
As for the post-credits transmission... I'm willing for more Dead Space, and Visceral has pointed out that the end of Dead Space 3 isn't THE END.

Well...

Show spoiler
Since Isaac is apparently alive (I still don't understand how), I'm thinking it might be interesting to explore a story of Isaac, now all alone trying to survive and get off the hostile ice planet. It might be a good opportunity to re-explore Isaac's mental state with appearances from characters like Carver, Ellie and perhaps even Nicole - not terribly original, I know, but imagine if, for example, Carver appears throughout the whole of DS4 and in the end it turns out Isaac has been imagining him and the real Carver died at the end of DS3. The tricky part would be directing the story so the player never suspects certain characters to be hallucinations until they are meant to be revealed as such.

By the way, is anyone else baffled by this apparent obsession with trilogies in the video game industry? I especially tend to get in a "head-desking" mood when I hear things like "it will conclude this story arc/this trilogy, but not the series". Well, if it's not the end of the series, why divide it into trilogies in the first place? Why not do what, for example, Resident Evil, or Splinter Cell does and make each sequel a mostly self-contained story? That way the game series could be milked to infinity and beyond with zero complaints from the consumers. If you're making a trilogy, have the balls to actually finish the series with the third part, otherwise it's not really a trilogy, is it?

The thing that drew me to Dead Space was the comparison made that it's Resident Evil 4 meets Metroid Prime. It's the best description anyone has ever given the series first game and it applies with the entire series.

The blood stains and the logs and all of that jazz isn't there to scare you, it's there to provide a mystery, what exactly happened to these people? What were their story? How did things get like this? Explore, collect logs, inspect the rooms you come across and find out for yourself.

*grumbles* I seem to have corrupted a save somehow, every friggin time i get to a certain point on the same friggin elevator trip the game freezes...

This is *really* annoying as its now happened 4-5 times...

Edit:

And now it froze while loading after i did a save/quit, after progress save... :(

Edit2: aww screw this, none of my progress was saved... i'm right back where i started... i'm just gonna delete that save and start over again... :(((

So this is what I think has been happening over the course of all of the games and other Dead Space media...

Show spoiler
So over two million years ago, the alien species that lived on Tau Volantis discovered a marker which then affected them and they ended up using their superior technology to construct a whole bunch of markers, I'm assuming for research purposes. We don't know the specifics of what happened but apparently enough of them were able to withstand the effects of the marker signal enough to realise what it was trying to do and construct a machine that would flash freeze the planet to contain marker outbreak and even a convergence event itself. I'm kind of assuming that they knew that they couldn't stop the marker from infecting them so the few that were able to built the machine to stop the Necromorphs from achieving convergence while they still had the chance. Convergence finally happened but the alien race succeeded in stopping it from becoming fully realised and the Necromorph moon which resulted was only partially complete. The alien race also knew that all they could do was contain the Necromorph moon but not destroy it since once the button was pushed, their species existence was over. Being the highly intelligent beings they are, they left instructions for any space-faring species that discovered their world to finish what they had started and destroy the moon completely.

Meanwhile, using its marker transmissions, the Necromorph moon sent out a distress signal to all of the markers within its range, including the one on Earth which is still of unknown origin that crashed on our planet 65 million years ago. It was that familiar message "Make us whole" that has been repeated throughout the series which being transmitted. Once anyone got within range of Tau Volantis it also added "Turn it off" to the message. I don't exactly know what it was trying to accomplish or how it was trying to do it, but I think it was trying to get help in the only way it knew how, by actively pinging a marker to instruct its creators into creating copies of the marker which they would seed on other planets. I think the whole "Dead Space" effect that was initially described in early Dead Space works was so that convergence could be prevented. I think the true purpose of the markers, at least the ones created by humanity was to have them seeded on different planets so that eventually humans could use the marker transmission to triangulate them back to Tau Volantis, essentially calling an intelligent species there to turn off the machine that was imprisoning the Necromorph moon. I also think that some of the markers that humans made were faulty, like the one on Titan station which was more concerned about creating a convergence event itself than in helping the Tau Volantis moon with its distress signal.

Flash forward to 200 years before the events of Dead Space where the Necromorph moon is successful in its mission and Tau Volantis is discovered by a research team which is tricked into thinking that they found the marker home world and that there's a machine on the planet that is creating the signal which they should turn off. However, the deception is discovered and the research team which has a military leadership has determined that the entire human race is being under threat and the only way to ensure its survival is to cause an extinction level quarantine of Tau Volantis... which is why everyone killed themselves, they wanted to make sure that no one influenced would be influenced by the signal that was trying to get them to turn off the machine.

Now, when the order is given, a final transmission was sent to Earth by the research team telling the Earth council of what they had discovered. All of the marker sites that were created were quarantined and shut down, extinction level quarantines were ordered for all of those sites such as Aegis VII. The government body that existed at the time was eventually overthrown and EarthGov came into existence which formed out of the factions that opposed the old Earth Council. Now the Markers that were abandoned were hidden away and forgotten, like the one on Aegis VII, and were only rediscovered a couple of hundred years later to just before the events of the first Dead Space game.

Now think about this... what was the marker trying to do when it was discovered and taken off of the planet? It was 1. sending out the distress signal "Make us whole" and 2. it was influencing anyone it could to try to get it to bring the marker back to the planets surface because only from there could anyone have a chance of triangulating a course, using the marker signals, back to Tau Volantis. Of course, once the Aegis VII marker was destroyed, fragments of it were collected and information extracted from those who came into contact with it (Isaac Clarke and Nolan Stross specifically) were used to create a new set of markers which were spread out across different sites across the small corner of the galaxy that humanity had colonised. The new Earth government was making the same mistake the old one had done. The difference is that Ellie seemed to have discovered Tau Volantis before EarthGov since, at the time, they were having to deal with the rise of the Unitologists who, thanks again to the events of Aegis VII, actually came into contact with a marker for the first time since the religions inception from the discovery of the black marker on Earth. In many ways, the Unitologists represent the true intentions of the markers, convergence.

So it seems... Danik was right in a way... the Markers weren't being used for their true purpose since they weren't actively seeking convergence, rather the ones created by humans were distress beacons trying to bring people to Tau Volantis which had a Necromorph moon that hadn't fully completed its own convergence event.

Finally, on the whole issue with the Brethren Moons and how they've been laying dormant for all this time. There are apparently several of these moons in our Milky Way galaxy and possibly countless more in others for all we know... but the ones that are in our galaxy seem to be spread out far enough away from each other since they obviously need entire planets of life to feed on. I think when the Tau Volantis moon sent its distress signal, it did it in a way not to disturb the other moons that were sleeping because it knew that they would just come in and feed on humanity, leaving it incomplete. It's also why I believe the marker on Titan station was faulty since it appeared not to have a so-called "dead space" field around it like the red markers do. A new convergence isn't what it wanted, it just wanted to be freed to complete its own and THEN once it was completed it would consume the rest of Tau Volantis and then come after Earth and its various colonies. Then once it had consumed all life in the area it would have probably created its own markers and fired them off into the galaxy, letting them home in and crash on planets that supported life or was capable of supporting life and just sat there dormant until life was found and one of the markers it sent pinged it.

Of course, this never happened and before the Necromorph moon died, it most likely sent out a signal to its brothers that could hear it that there was life in this part of the galaxy to consume... hence the secret chapter titles being BROTHER MOONS ARE AWAKE... The DLC is definitely going to be something that'll shift the series into a different gear. So far humanity has been dealing with a Necromorph moon in distress... now it may have to come up against a fully formed Necromorph moon or even several.

...what do you think?

Archived