Home

Watch Dogs

Sabretooth

WatchDogs_Logo_E32012_Whitetcm2153165.png

[youtube=hd]

Or, to borrow a YouTube comment, Deus Ex: Stand-Alone Complex.

Level of detail looks a bit jacked up, in my opinion, but the gameplay itself looks interesting. It's unclear how much of that is open gameplay and how much is scripted stuff you have to do, like the signal-hacking in the latter part of the game.

Also it's disappointing the trailer ends up a shootfest eventually, because I was hoping this was going to be a case of smartness beating brawn, something like Mirror's Edge.

Deus Theft Auto? I agree, devolving into a generic 3rd person shooter was a shame given the premise. It looks super heavily scripted to me as well. I guess we'll see more in the near future. At the very least, as some sites have been saying, it's great to see a new IP rather than endless sequels.

Introductory video, possibly NSFW if you look closely:

[youtube=hd]

Funny how both the style and concept is like a slap in the face of EA's silly Syndicate reboot and shows how to do it right.

Ironic though, for Ubisoft to be making a game about the dangers of persistent connection. :xp:

At the very least, as some sites have been saying, it's great to see a new IP rather than endless sequels.

Not one to hug big publisher corporations myself, but Ubisoft's Montreal studio has had a lot of creative power lately. Assassin's Creed was a very fresh and creative new IP, just as this one looks to be (until the generic TPS shooting and GTA carjacking kicks in). I can't help but imagine, though, that they sent spies into Eidos Montreal before development. >_>

Also I'm digging the dialogue, voice acting and animations, but with Star Wars 1313 and Beyond: Lost Souls, it looks like we're going to see a lot of this from here on out.

Was being the operative word. 5 years later it is a tired and worn out sequel-fest, exactly like overwhelming majority of other franchises.

That really is the mark of a successful franchise in the vidya industry though. You'd be mad as a developer if you had an extremely successful game and didn't cash in on it, and it'd be financial suicide to just stop after the first few games cause trying to launch a brand new IP is extremely difficult. Once something catches, you run with it as far as you can take it.

Looks interesting, and even if it devolves into a shootfest after you have used your hacking to set a trap, it's still a lot better than most games where you just get the shootfest.

As for Assasins creed becomming amulti sequel franchise, I don't really mind having devs/publishers rewarded for innovating by letting them spam sequels.

Looks interesting, and even if it devolves into a shootfest after you have used your hacking to set a trap, it's still a lot better than most games where you just get the shootfest.

Yeah, I'd much rather there be a shootfest that you set the trap. It seems like a cool game, hopefully the shootfests are few and far between.

Was being the operative word. 5 years later it is a tired and worn out sequel-fest, exactly like overwhelming majority of other franchises.
I still like the AC's. :giveup:

Anyway, love the premise and the look of the game, but sad that it needs to devolve into a 3rd person shooter. Still gonna keep an eye on it, though, and I'm glad they're at least going for something new.

It does look pretty cool. The shooting doesn't bother me. I just hope the PC version isn't a crappy console port.

Like Star Wars 1313, above demo was running on a high-end PC, according to Ubisoft. Of course, that's no indication that there won't be porting blues, but it's a good sign.

They were using a 360 controller for the demo though so they've definitely got consoles in mind, but yeah, it looks like developers are finally getting the point about console games being ported to PC.

Personally, I'd like to see this on Wii U simply because of the whole Wii U GamePad concept which would make this game even more interesting.

They were using a 360 controller for the demo though so they've definitely got consoles in mind, but yeah, it looks like developers are finally getting the point about console games being ported to PC.

I'm glad they moved away from showing off multi-platform games on the Xbox versions, with no anti-aliasing and low-res textures.

I'm still pretty confident the level of graphics and event detail (the ambient conversations and animations) were jacked up for the purposes of the presentation, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

>.> I use a 360 gamepad for some PC games...

@ phreak: I know, I was just saying that this game is coming for consoles. Plus a Frenchy from Ubisoft already said it's coming to PS3 and 360 on Spike TV. I was also pointing out that it's better to port a PC game to consoles than a console game to the PC cause downscaling works better than upscaling in this kind of porting situation.

@ Sabre: I'm sure the PC version will be jacked up to the max like you want it to be.

It's unclear how much of that is open gameplay and how much is scripted stuff you have to do, like the signal-hacking in the latter part of the game.

Yeah, some things definitively were but on this particular scene, at least some elements weren't. Like the bystander that witnesses the crash and then proceed to help out on the people in the cars, asking "are you all right?" while trying to get someone out. Unless they scripted that guy there, this at least was the AI being awesome beyond GTA level and I was mesmerized at this and some other details. Personally, this, along with The Last of Us, were among the best shown in the E3, and, coincidentally, those two might end up having vast amounts of scripted events. Or not, which might just be plain amazing and groundbreaking.

As for the shooting in the end, it wasn't that bad: it could have lasted longer and for most of the trailer, instead it was a small bit. And brawling with your fists seems to be an efficient option as well. Plus, could be worse: there could have been an horrendous cover system along with the whole package.

I'm so sold to this game.

Well gotta admit that they had to sneak in shooting/driving at some point, to reassure viewers that it is there. I know a lot of people would feel naked in a game without a gun.

I'm just hoping that it's Deus Exy in that you can play most of the game without having go shooting around and carjacking.

@ Sabre: I'm sure the PC version will be jacked up to the max like you want it to be.

That's not what I'm talking about. I meant the level of detail in the ambience. There's an incredible amount of animations and conversations that are going on the background while you're walking. That is impressive enough if scripted, but a little unbelievable if it isn't scripted. It'd be more believable if it was like Deus Ex, where you're limited to a hub, but since you have carjacking here, it looks more like a GTA.

I'd go so far as to speculate that this wasn't in-engine and was done in CG to simulate gameplay (They didn't have any messages saying the demo video was in-engine, and IIRC haven't insisted on that, unlike LucasArts).

Edit: Interview by Rock, Paper, Shotgun

The game still sounds absurdly good and detailed. >:/

• 8 months later...

Archived